Over 55 and being great

exracehorse

Visit site
Glad you had fun yesterday but you might want to remove the photo from a public forum unless you have permission to use it or have bought the original in which case you can repost it without the ‘stolen from Wildways’ on it.
I ‘have‘ bought the photo. Coming in the post. Takes 24 hours. Didn’t buy emailed version as want hard copy Paid on line. Costing me 13 pounds to deliver They were only posted this morning on the company website. So haven’t had chance to receive it. Didn’t think about using a ‘stolen’ photo. Admin can remove if they wish. But it’s not stolen. I just haven’t got the original copy which should arrive Tuesday. But I have bought the photo.

Last edited:

Tarragon

Visit site
I am 58 this year and just debating about the pros and cons of whether I have it in me to get one last pony to see me through to my old age. I have 2, aged 22 and 15, and ride both. Nothing brave and spectacular, but we cover the miles between us. Both native ponies (Exmoor) so will probably live to a ripe old age. I cannot keep 3 in livery, so would have to do some juggling, but I cannot help think that it would be lovely to have one more youngster I can work on now that I know so much more!

exracehorse

Visit site
I am 58 this year and just debating about the pros and cons of whether I have it in me to get one last pony to see me through to my old age. I have 2, aged 22 and 15, and ride both. Nothing brave and spectacular, but we cover the miles between us. Both native ponies (Exmoor) so will probably live to a ripe old age. I cannot keep 3 in livery, so would have to do some juggling, but I cannot help think that it would be lovely to have one more youngster I can work on now that I know so much more!
I have three. One retired Took on a 2 year old last summer. Backed her during lockdown when I was off work. So .... definitely consider a younger one. You have many many more riding years ahead.

canteron

Visit site
Thanks for the idea to follow Tamarack Hill Farm - love it and look at this reply to his post on age today!! This I think is the definitive answer? Isn’t it inspiring ?

Damn can’t attach photo ... it’s a 93yo with his 95yo girlfriend going to check on the cattle and both riding beautifully!

monte1

Visit site
what a fabulous thread, well, i am approaching 52, lucky enough to still be mainly fit and well, I have ridden almost all my life but never managed much competitively, mainly due to lack of transport/training/cash etc when younger.
Finally got to do some eventing on my former horse when i was 41 and loved it. I now have a lovely but can be quirky ISH who I have had a few falls from and must admit I don't bounce quite as well I as i did, however it has made me train better and try harder to make us a team, I do still want to get out and jump, but starting to see the draw of higher levels of dressage training as well and we are currently enjoying learning new things together. to top all that I have had a BWB foal born this year, currently 10 weeks old, who I hope in four years when i am 56 I will be backing and riding.
I think Covid this year has made many of us reconsider life and take the opportunities when they come up as none of us know what is round the corner

Go for it, I say :)

Visit site
Im in awe of everyone else on this thread, my post is a bit self serving but currently I’m feeling proud, I’m “only” 47 but quite broken and feeling physically a lot older than my years, I’ve ridden for 42yrs and was pretty fearless until I had a terrible accident on an (ex-)friend’s “new” horse a few years ago (One of those “oh crap I forgot to tell you he might do that to ditch you” moments) and broke my back, fractured my pelvis and broke bones in both hands being launched onto a post and rail fence. I’m very creaky these days and suffer terribly with confidence issues, I bought my mare as a project 18mnths-2ish yrs ago and confidence has stopped me doing much with her as was at home with her and our three tiny tots and no one around to push me or make me feel guilty for not riding ? (she was incredibly spooky, nappy and permanently on her toes), I’ve been pottering along hacking along with hubby leading me on out a long line for while trying to get my confidence up. Occasionally plucking up the confidence to hack her out alone and then coming back and feeling like I needed to have a lie down as I was so stressed.

We’ve now moved to a new country and I’m on a lovely training yard with beautiful facilities and I’m now schooling her and riding her out alone and feeling totally inspired and confident! we will never be amazing but we have no aspirations apart from having a lovely time.

I’m hoping my body lasts long enough to be able to keep riding for many more years (I’m 5 surgeries in on one knee and a knee replacement is the next option). This thread inspires me x