Over attached dogs

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Sorry for the flurry of questions but I'm researching Chihuahuas in preparation for my new puppy. I keep reading about over attachment being a common problem and wondering how to avoid causing it since the puppy will be with me most of the time? I am going to go to training classes but there's no getting round the fact that I will be the main carer. Any experienced dog owners here with words of wisdom please? Thanks :)

s4sugar

Visit site
Just treat the chihuahua as a dog & not a baby & you'll be fine.
I had my last one for 17 years but she moved to my parents for the last few to give them some company. She adored everyone and was a bit hit at the hospitals at visiting times. (was a PAT dog)

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Ah,ok, if that's all there is to it I can easily do that :) My whippets have always been much loved but they have very clear boundaries. I really don't like small dogs that rule the roost and their owners just laugh when they are out of control.

Alec Swan

Visit site
There are certain breeds of dog which are 'needy'. I've never kept your chosen breed, but from what I've seen, they've generally been amongst them.

Initially, and for the uninitiated, the dog which 'clings' and is totally dependent up on us, is gratifying and gives us a sense of worth. Trust me on this S_C, the novelty wears off, and with such creatures, they can become an irritation. The reliance, the total reliance, by some dogs, upon their owners, can become such a pita that they take over their owner's lives.

As you, living where you do, and whilst you will spend a great deal of your time entertaining yourself, so your wee dog will most likely become company for you. Most small, and 'needy' dogs, will place demands upon us.

With all my portents of gloom, I will be tickled pink to have you come back, in a years time, and tell me that I'm talking nonsense.

Alec.

noodle_

Visit site
My spaniel x collie was quite needy - she suffered bad separation anxiety - she latched onto me after we lost her collie pal.. and i let her sleep on my bed, next to me on the sofa etc BIG MISTAKE. i felt sorry for her

You have to be cruel to be kind - treat your dog as a dog........floors are made for dog's, they have a bed - dont let your dog on your bed...

fwiw - i was mean to my girl and separated myself from her a lot - and [shout at me all you want guys] got a puppy - instantly normal dog back....

so don't do what i did and be totally encouraging them after you - shut doors behind you - make them be ok to be separate...crate if needby

boundaries and rules.... :D

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Ha ha Alec, let's see if, in a year's time I'm wearing a baby sling and carrying round my 'pwecious wickle pwincess' in a baby sling because she mustn't be parted from her mummy :p I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks noodle :) I'm very clear about where the whippets are allowed and I will treat the puppy exactly the same. They can't go upstairs or in the sitting room with cream carpets. They don't even know we have beds, lol :D

Morag4

Visit site
I treat all the dogs I've had and have the same way, be they large small or inbetween. Rules and boundaries in place from the start.
With any behaviour ask yourself, "is this a behaviour I want to live with forever" and remember as much as certain behaviour is funny when they are pups would that behaviour be funny as an adult.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I treat all the dogs I've had and have the same way, be they large small or inbetween. Rules and boundaries in place from the start.
With any behaviour ask yourself, "is this a behaviour I want to live with forever" and remember as much as certain behaviour is funny when they are pups would that behaviour be funny as an adult.

Another excellent and sensible post.

Snowy, I suspect that you will actually be fine, and that the 'pwecious one' (V-funny:p) will learn from the outset that there are rules to be obeyed. Being firm with the pleading eyes, isn't always quite so easy!!

Alec.

noodle_

Visit site
My post was the warnings, and mostly, noodle_'s is the answer.

A good post noodle_, it isn't easy, is it?!

Alec.

mine was a slight warning too :D my dog used to howl when we went out - neighbours complained [rightly so...] dog was public enemy number one until i had a brain wave to get a puppy - i think it could have gone one of two ways - disaster or thank god absolute devotion to him....

my next issue is when my older dog passes away - the younger one is 100prcent devoted to her...so really now im utterly screwed lol

moral of my story - is be mean... as my above post and dont get them a companion...and another - i had 3 at one point and still wanted another...i have the two now and want another in 18 months ish so i have again - the two together when the older one passes...

Ha ha Alec, let's see if, in a year's time I'm wearing a baby sling and carrying round my 'pwecious wickle pwincess' in a baby sling because she mustn't be parted from her mummy :p I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks noodle :) I'm very clear about where the whippets are allowed and I will treat the puppy exactly the same. They can't go upstairs or in the sitting room with cream carpets. They don't even know we have beds, lol :D

haha your lucky...

mine make a break for my bed as soon as i open my door :D

dogs eh - who would have them :D