Over bending when I ask to trott

Hancoxfamily

Visit site
Can anyone help my new connemara x Irish sports 14.2hh mare is over bending when I ask her to trott and is so hard to get going my daughter really struggles when she's on her and is getting really fed up with her she's in a snaffle any help would be great x

be positive

Visit site
There could be so many reasons that, as your daughter is presumably young and just moved onto a bigger pony, my only real suggestion is to get a decent instructor to advise on what needs to be done to help them get going.

I assume she was not like this when you tried her so the first things to check would be tack, have you changed anything? teeth have they been checked and did she pass a full vetting?

Hancoxfamily

Visit site
I noticed she did it with the girl who rode her and with me but she's so lovely I still wanted her she past her vetting and has had a new saddle fitted I've been reading up on it and just ordered a french link snaffle to see if that helps it says to push her through it with very light hands and it could be from being ridden by someone who was heavy with there hands do you think this could be right ? Xx

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh this is harder to fix than being above the bit.. My cob much prefers behind to in front of the bit... To the point of being accused of rollkur at one event warm up (haha if only that was the issue).

1) check the usual teeth saddle etc etc
2) assess honestly how good a rider you/ you'd daughter is.
3) if you are able to assess correctly if the horse is in front of your/her leg then make sure this is the case in every transition. Have enough energy in the walk for a walk canter transition .
4) with this energy imagine your reins are solid bars and imaginepushing the horses head forward thru the transition . If he still drops behind just for a second elevate your hands up about 6 inches (watch good dressage riders warming up and you'll see what I mean). And go for an active transition from behind. If you get the transition you want great if not I would go straight into canter as there wasn't enough energy in that transition. And once going forward properly I would have another go. If you do get what you want reward with a soften down the rein and a pat at first... It's hard and takes time but you can fix this.

Ps if the horse goes above the big don't correct this at this stage as you will send confusing messages to the horse. You almost want it above the bit for a short while.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Can anyone help my new connemara x Irish sports 14.2hh mare is over bending when I ask her to trott and is so hard to get going my daughter really struggles when she's on her and is getting really fed up with her she's in a snaffle any help would be great x

Oh I wish my livery had this problem - their horse goes round like a giraffe and it is damn hard to make her go any other way due to being allowed to go this was and set in her ways.

Hancoxfamily

Visit site
I think we definitely need some lessons but that's really helped thank you I feel confident we can do it. .. she's very ploddy in walk she's only 7 and been past around a lot so I think with a good solid rutean and lots of work and love we'll get there xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my Arabs tended to over bend he came to me from previous owner with a hanging cheek french link bit and I found this did not help so I changed it to a eldonian balancing snaffle, it's the gold metal type bit and is a loose ring snaffle with a peanut link, I found this really improved him and he doesn't hardly ever do it now, my instructor also said to me that he tended to do it more when he wasn't quite going forward enough and he also thought he never quite accepted the contact in the other bit, so maybe that's something to consider so lessons may be a good idea.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
OK I've found one of those bits I'll order it and give it a go thanks so much xx

I hope it helps I really rate them I even bought another one for my other horse and he goes well in it as well, both of my horses do have very soft mouths neither are strong and I think because of this some bits are a bit harsh for them but with this bit they both stay in a nice soft contact.