Over-height cobs showing at county level- allegedly

rocketdog69

Visit site
At my first affiliated show my 15 hands and half an inch show cob looked like a shetland compared to the others in his class.

How interesting to note that in this weeks horse and hound theres an advert in the classified section for a 15.1 hh (LHC) show cob who is being advertised for sale because he isnt big enough for county level showing.

I thought 15.1hh was SPOT ON for showing. Have the rules changed????????

I hope someone from the BSHC Association notices the advert, maybe it should be commonplace for these allegedly 15.1hh LHC owning horses be measured on the spot (like a spot check drugs test) by an independant authority then the absolutely 15.1 horses dont get an inferiority complex and think they are shetlands!

I write the previous paragraph tongue in cheek, secretly I'm p....d off because I paid an awful lot of money for a show cob thats really a shetland when I could have got a shetland for a few hundred quid. (Not bitter honestly)!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleur100

www.welhamstud.co.uk
I used to show a small riding horse who was exactly 15.2hh (the upper limit). We were often the 'smallest' in the class. Until shows etc get their measuring sticks out (as happens at many native breed shows) this will continue..... Mind you judges should take some responsibiltiy for this as well and remember that big isn't always best!

1275gta

Visit site
I have been watching a lot of cob classes at the bigger shows and they look huge compared to my 15.1 at home. The thing is LHC are worthless I know in the past of peopl who have taken horses to be measured and the first thing they are asked is how big do you want them to be.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
When the show horses are measured during the off season they are let down, often worked very hard on the day, probably a bit dehaydrated and very well trimmed, and a whole host of other tricks the big name suse to get their horses to measure in. Then when the season starts, the horses are muscled up, fattened up and would mostly be way over height if re measured.
Until judges stop putting down horses that look smaller in their class there will always be pressure to be 'up to height'

rocketdog69

Visit site
Asking "what height do you want them to be" doesnt surprise me one little bit.

I've decided to try working cobs next year on my "shetland" as he jumps like stink.

Also going to attempt the Search for a Star too.

With a bit of luck I wont come across too many shire sized cobs!

How much is it to get a LHC anyway.

Sounds like it could be a very lucrative sideline???????????

christine48

Visit site
I believe the majority are over hight and I don't know how they get the hight certificates.
A few years ago a friend of mine took her 16.1hh horse to a top producer for an opinion. She said they put the stick on him and he was 16.1 hh with shoes. They 'let him settle' and he supposidly measured at a bit under 15.2hh. he went on to win the small hunter classes at HOYS and RIHS.
The only way around it would be for more to be measured on the day at shows.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Don't worry about it, we're not!
grin.gif

joy

Visit site
I feel exactly the same when it comes to small hunter classes where I have seen animals winning in the ring when they should have been in the lightweights.
It is very depressing to enter a horse of the correct height and stamp only to be beaten by a monster.
This happened to me when I thought I had the class only to stand down to a camel.

sallyf

Visit site
I had the same problem with my small hunter mare LHC at 15.1 1/2 but looked like a pony in small hunter classes under saddle although she did head stud book grade and it made no differance in small hunter broodmare classes and only a little bit in open working classes but that is mostly as she got such good jumping marks.

toffeesmarty

Visit site
Do we get the prize for having the smallest cob? He is 117.5cms and they regularly wins at open unaffilliated level. He has just qualified for P-UK Winter Champs where I expect they'll be the smallest in the ring. Last judge said if you can have maxi cobs why not mini cobs!
This pic was taken last year when my daughter was 9.
image059.jpg