Over-horsing yourself...

truffles

Visit site
What are your opinions on this??

I am stressing tonight about this possible loan horse. She is big. 15.3hh, and to me thats pretty huge! She was absolutely lovely when I rode her, perfect in nearly every way, except I could see that we would have huge problems if she was to decide to ignore me. I weigh about 7 1/2 stone, she is a lovely girl, and apparently excellent out hacking and xc etc....but I just slightly worry I am over horsing my self. IMO that is the worst thing for your confidence, mine of which goes up and down veryy quickly lol, and that is with a 15hh, except she is so different to this big horse - I just don't know whether doing this would be asking for trouble.
crazy.gif

Sorry, loads of drivvle, but if anyone could reassure me or tell me to wake up it would be much appreciated - am feeling quite mixed about it atm....

nomini

Visit site
Is the horse quite cobby or finer built? Sometimes this can make a lot of difference. Jiggy is 15.3 and quite cobby and some of my friends look small on him whereas they look good on their own finer built 15.3's and they seem to cope with them fine too! It's hard to know what is right without actually seeing you on the horse and seeing how you cope with her. Good luck with whatever you decide.
smile.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hey hun, i was about your size when i got My pony, she is 15.3, and built like a brick outhouse!
crazy.gif
But i love her, and we have got on really well over the years. my advice would be, if she starts trying to beat you with her strength/size, use your brains - as that is the one part of your body that is at an advantage when faced with hers!
tongue.gif

X

xspiralx

honestly I don't think size makes that much difference, unless you're about 4ft10 on an 18.2hh monster! lol

Its really about personality of the horse - lets face it, if any horse decides to p*ss off with you, and it really doesn't want to stop, none of us are stronger than even a pony!!

If this horse is a sweetie, and obedient - and you're a fairly competent rider, I should think you'll be absolutely fine.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is the horse quite cobby or finer built? Sometimes this can make a lot of difference. Jiggy is 15.3 and quite cobby and some of my friends look small on him whereas they look good on their own finer built 15.3's and they seem to cope with them fine too! It's hard to know what is right without actually seeing you on the horse and seeing how you cope with her. Good luck with whatever you decide.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

she is quite fine, her ad says LW/MW, but am shifting towards LW more.

vivhewe

Visit site
I'm 8st and was riding a 16.3hh last winter and coped with him. If she's good to do and is going to give you confidence and is what you are looking for then go for it! If you are having doubts after sleeping on it then see about a possible trial as if she does do something silly and you feel overhorsed you will both go backwards. I personally think a well mannered horse is better than a small one, although I see where you are coming from, but I personally don't think you will be overh-horsed. IMHO the smaller they are the more they are little buggers!
grin.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
honestly I don't think size makes that much difference, unless you're about 4ft10 on an 18.2hh monster! lol

Its really about personality of the horse - lets face it, if any horse decides to p*ss off with you, and it really doesn't want to stop, none of us are stronger than even a pony!!

If this horse is a sweetie, and obedient - and you're a fairly competent rider, I should think you'll be absolutely fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes just after I had clicked enter I thought, 'hangon......if any horse decided to piss off with me then I would have no chance!'

She is both, was verrry chilled which I really liked, but I will hack her and ride her a little more to see how we go. I can't judge my own riding lol, but we will see how we'll go. thanks.
smile.gif

Meganrose

Visit site
I agree with size really not being an issue. Any horse can p*ss off with you, and some larger horses are much easier to handle. The only trouble is it is farther to fall from a 17hh than a 14hh!!!

I have a shetland mare who was bought as a companion and has not been backed or anything. At 39inches she managed to p*ss off on a walk and broke my finger owch!!!! Sometimes she can be a cutie others mad and boy can she shift and turn on a sixpence. She outruns my 15hh mare in the field running round her like a little sheepdog!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 8st and was riding a 16.3hh last winter and coped with him. If she's good to do and is going to give you confidence and is what you are looking for then go for it! If you are having doubts after sleeping on it then see about a possible trial as if she does do something silly and you feel overhorsed you will both go backwards. I personally think a well mannered horse is better than a small one, although I see where you are coming from, but I personally don't think you will be overh-horsed. IMHO the smaller they are the more they are little buggers!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the bigger they are, the smaller the brains!
tongue.gif

Thank god I get till March to decide, so will ride her some more, and then decide.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well I ride quite a muddle of different horses, and I can safelysay no some of the horses I hunted last season I would never hunt now, I will always wonder what posessed me to take a 16.2hh Belg WB out in a snaffle aged 15.
I go with gut instinct now, I have a certain amount of lea way, I talk myself into things if I really want them, and in past times I have talked myself into overhorsing-eg-Mar.
Now when I have a doubt I leave it, because to me, doubts only ever grow.

teapot

Visit site
Had it not been for me asking to ride the nutty 17.2 at the yard, only 18 months after I'd started riding - I'm not sure I'd know what I know now. Pos taught me to ride properly. And at the time I was very over horsed.

Go with gut instinct hun - if she feels right, you like her etc then that's always a good thing

nomini

Visit site
As other people have said, size isn't really the problem. it depends on the temperament of the horse too, a three year could probs look after alisha who is 16.2hh (maybe not ride, but on the ground) as she is so easy to do, but on the other hand they would not cope with Jiggy (15.3) as he is such a handful. She sounds like a sweet horse from your description, i'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Keep me updated on what you decide to do
smile.gif
Has chloe gone back now then?

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hey hun, i was about your size when i got My pony, she is 15.3, and built like a brick outhouse!
crazy.gif
But i love her, and we have got on really well over the years. my advice would be, if she starts trying to beat you with her strength/size, use your brains - as that is the one part of your body that is at an advantage when faced with hers!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL, yes, well I'm not sure even that is true!
blush.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
So much depends on your ability and security of seat. The build of the horse makes a huge difference too. Both the appies are 15:3, the old one is very long in the back and has a huge head, the younger one is much more compact with a very araby head, the older one took strength, the younger one guile! We bought the younger one from a family where the rider was a very delicate 14 year old who could not manage her, but she was also very much a novice. I hope this all makes sense and have just realised it probably won't help at all! Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Ah, if she is LW then it makes quite a bit of differance to if she was like this -
IMG_0827.jpg
tongue.gif

i was 13, nervous and only about 7-8 stone. and i bought an unschooled 6yo who is built like a tank............. And i survived
grin.gif

if you like the horse enough, then give her a go!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Had it not been for me asking to ride the nutty 17.2 at the yard, only 18 months after I'd started riding - I'm not sure I'd know what I know now. Pos taught me to ride properly. And at the time I was very over horsed.

Go with gut instinct hun - if she feels right, you like her etc then that's always a good thing

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like her, but I think it's too soon, having only ridden her once to say '*bang* she's the one!" - I did that with Chloe and my have I learnt my lesson.
blush.gif

I'll play it by ear, get to know her a little more then see how we go.
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
Well I just sold my welsh mare, she was 14.2hh and a right stroppy cow when she wanted to be!

New boy is 17.2hh and I feel much safer and more secure on him, despite me being 5ft 5 and less than 8stones!

Its about trust, knowing the horse and knowing your own ability.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So much depends on your ability and security of seat. The build of the horse makes a huge difference too. Both the appies are 15:3, the old one is very long in the back and has a huge head, the younger one is much more compact with a very araby head, the older one took strength, the younger one guile! We bought the younger one from a family where the rider was a very delicate 14 year old who could not manage her, but she was also very much a novice. I hope this all makes sense and have just realised it probably won't help at all! Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it has helped!! I will get to know her and then see if I will be able to manage her long term etc...build deffo makes a huge difference - if she was a fighting fit hunter at that height I just don't think I would risk it!!
My other concern is that atm she is pretty fat, having been out of work for a while because of an abcess due to a reaction to a vaccination, sooo the fitter she gets I would have thought the more of a handful she will get! But now she is back in work, I can find out myself without having to jump in the deep end straight away with her!
thanks for your reply
smile.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, if she is LW then it makes quite a bit of differance to if she was like this -
IMG_0827.jpg
tongue.gif

i was 13, nervous and only about 7-8 stone. and i bought an unschooled 6yo who is built like a tank............. And i survived
grin.gif

if you like the horse enough, then give her a go!

[/ QUOTE ]

Must feel great to have come out the other end a fantastic pair!! Wish it had ended like that with me and Chloe, but there are sooo many other factors that just make her so unsuitable, but it's said becuase she is a VERY sweet horse IMO - but am biased - I got my first head nudge from her hehe after my lesson, when she should have been raging at me!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As other people have said, size isn't really the problem. it depends on the temperament of the horse too, a three year could probs look after alisha who is 16.2hh (maybe not ride, but on the ground) as she is so easy to do, but on the other hand they would not cope with Jiggy (15.3) as he is such a handful. She sounds like a sweet horse from your description, i'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Keep me updated on what you decide to do
smile.gif
Has chloe gone back now then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chloe is going back asap - Actually I need to have a chat to the owners about dates etc... but they do know. Will keep you updated hun, thanks xx

RachelB

Visit site
I agree with everyone who says it's more down to attitude and temperament.
My 15.3hh MW tank is lovely in every way, but if she did decide to ignore me, at 8st and 5'5" I would stand no chance! There's no way she would though. I ride a friend's nutcase 18yo 15.2hh Anglo Arab and can (mostly) control her, I used to ride another friend's 17.1hh Trak X ID and couldn't control her much, and at college I rode an 18.2hh hunter, who was a total schoolmaster and although I had about enough control to steer over jumps as I think I was a little over-horsed, he gave me so much confidence!
Go with your gut instinct! If you liked the horse, then go for it!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Aw, thanks hun! You will find your perfect pony! You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and so if you feel that this mare is worth a go, then do it! she sounds great to me
tongue.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well I just sold my welsh mare, she was 14.2hh and a right stroppy cow when she wanted to be!

New boy is 17.2hh and I feel much safer and more secure on him, despite me being 5ft 5 and less than 8stones!

Its about trust, knowing the horse and knowing your own ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad you've said that lol - I'm so glad to know it's possible to feel secure on something that big hehe, let alone 15.3hh (Might be ickle to some, but when you are used to riding a little one, then it is a big difference! )

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aw, thanks hun! You will find your perfect pony! You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and so if you feel that this mare is worth a go, then do it! she sounds great to me
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I'm just trying not to make the same mistake again!!
I do like her lots
smile.gif
Will get pictures soooon. xx

CastleMouse

Visit site
It's definitely all down to temperment and attitude. A friend of mine is quite a small rider, and has a lovely 15.3hh mare who is very well mannered, and she hunts with her regularly and they are perfect for each other!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everyone who says it's more down to attitude and temperament.
My 15.3hh MW tank is lovely in every way, but if she did decide to ignore me, at 8st and 5'5" I would stand no chance! There's no way she would though. I ride a friend's nutcase 18yo 15.2hh Anglo Arab and can (mostly) control her, I used to ride another friend's 17.1hh Trak X ID and couldn't control her much, and at college I rode an 18.2hh hunter, who was a total schoolmaster and although I had about enough control to steer over jumps as I think I was a little over-horsed, he gave me so much confidence!
Go with your gut instinct! If you liked the horse, then go for it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much RachelB - god you've been through a range of horses lol!
smile.gif

She did actually give me a little bit of confidence, simply because I was so pleasantly surprised by her! She was a real sweetie
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I forgot to say, my last pony was a 14.1hh monster (aka Welsh Cob), and before that I had a 13.1hh monster NF! I hate ponies, give me a nice big chunky horse any day!
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
Whoops didn't finish post

Just take it slowly - are you going back to hack her out etc? Although I said, go with gut feelings - if there is any form of niggling ooo what am i doing then take it as that you're not 100% sure

Chloe came from a dealer didn't she - or did I make that up? Is this possible new one another dealer or a private?