Over-horsing yourself...

spooks

Visit site
my daughter went from a riding school to a 13.3 ,6yr old unschooled welsh who has taught her to ride and a lot more besides! she now has a 16h IDxTB ,she only weighs 7.5 stone and the horse did take the P something rotten to start with and knew exactly what to do to make her get off etc until in her first lesson he tried it on and she basically said sod you get on with it! they get on quite well now but there was a time when otto was going on the market every week!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well I ride quite a muddle of different horses, and I can safelysay no some of the horses I hunted last season I would never hunt now, I will always wonder what posessed me to take a 16.2hh Belg WB out in a snaffle aged 15.
I go with gut instinct now, I have a certain amount of lea way, I talk myself into things if I really want them, and in past times I have talked myself into overhorsing-eg-Mar.

Now when I have a doubt I leave it, because to me, doubts only ever grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether this is a doubt - just an exploration - I didn't feel her actually over horsing me, because her temperament was so sweet, but in canter (I chose to canter behind another horse to see how she was) she certainly was stronger, and although she didn't speed up I could only really stop her on a circle, although steering was fine! But I do recall having a big grin on my face the whole way through! very odd lol!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Whoops didn't finish post

Just take it slowly - are you going back to hack her out etc? Although I said, go with gut feelings - if there is any form of niggling ooo what am i doing then take it as that you're not 100% sure

Chloe came from a dealer didn't she - or did I make that up? Is this possible new one another dealer or a private?

[/ QUOTE ]

She is already at the yard that chloe is back, which makes things 10 times as easier, so yes definately going to ride her a couple more times.
Chloe did come from a dealer although they aren't well known at all - old fashioned - no website, or ad's, they just have the same old customers most of whom are old family friends
This one is privately owned. She did seem to make it quite clear that she didn't particularly want to sell her - she said a 4 year loan is fine, but she wants to hang onto her forever lol, which tbh is fine by me - I get the guidance from someone who knows her well, and I also get the freedom to, if something awful happened, the owner would just take her back.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my daughter went from a riding school to a 13.3 ,6yr old unschooled welsh who has taught her to ride and a lot more besides! she now has a 16h IDxTB ,she only weighs 7.5 stone and the horse did take the P something rotten to start with and knew exactly what to do to make her get off etc until in her first lesson he tried it on and she basically said sod you get on with it! they get on quite well now but there was a time when otto was going on the market every week!

[/ QUOTE ]

that is so great they are getting on a lot better now - they both sound very determined!
smile.gif
I find it makes it all the more rewarding though!

missshell

Visit site
I know a girl who is about 5'2" and weighs next to nothing and rides anything from 13hh to 17.2hh.
I suppose it depends what you are comfortable with.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As others have said, size & build of the horse makes little difference, it is down to the pesonality, schooling & manners that the horse has or has not. Wether the horse is 15h3" or 12h2" if it wants to tow you about it will. People always say never get into a battle of strength with a horse because you will always lose.

School him & teach him manners & you will get on well together. Give into him & let him think he's boss & you will have a nightmare no matter what the size is. Good Luck in your decision.

mandy4727

Visit site
Any horse at 15.3 no matter whether cobby or not could go for it!!!!! I have a 12.2 old gelding and I am 5 foot 7. He is my oldie at nearly 40 and in his days about 10 years ago had me off many a time!!!!So it has nothing to do with the power. They all have that no matter what their size. But the respect they have from thier owners. Which you have to earn. Still trying to earn that with my filly.!!!!!!!!!!!

Patches

Visit site
I over horsed myself with my first horse and that was only three years ago! He was only 14.3, a fluff ball of a cob. Problem with Socks was that he had no mouth. I could've stuck a hack saw blade attached to reins in his mouth and I'll swear I'd not have been able to stop him.

Patches on the other hand is 15.1 ish (bit taller in shoes perhaps) and is by far the most muscled and "big" looking of all of the horses I've had. She's light and responsive in the mouth and responds well to leg and seat aids.

In general terms Patches is by far the easier of the two to ride. However, both Socks and latterly Patches have bolted with me over open fields and I must admit that neither one of them was easier to stop! Any horse can take off with you when something startles them. If you pick a horse with a nice amenable attitude and willingness to work it shouldn't make that much difference how big they are. I'm sure my horse would just be grateful to not have to carry me about (as I weigh more than you) should you have the ride on her.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As others have said, size & build of the horse makes little difference, it is down to the pesonality, schooling & manners that the horse has or has not. Wether the horse is 15h3" or 12h2" if it wants to tow you about it will. People always say never get into a battle of strength with a horse because you will always lose.

School him & teach him manners & you will get on well together. Give into him & let him think he's boss & you will have a nightmare no matter what the size is. Good Luck in your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Wow - thank you.

GTs

Visit site
I personally would only get a horse you were 100% confident on there are plenty of them out there. As others have said manners are more important then size, but the thing that is most important is being able to kick on with confidence. So many people need it, so few have it.

sunny123

Visit site
If it is a loan home, and the people who own her sound like they really care about her, then they are going to want the best for you both so they are bound to let you keep riding her untill you are 100% sure. Maybe they would let you take her on a week/2 week trail or somthing like that, because it is not just the riding where you could be overfaced.

Like everyone else has said it really depends on their tempermant. When i was 11 i was offered the ride on someones 16hh fairly heavy built horse. I weighed 5/6 stone and had no probs riding him but occasionally he was to much for me on the ground. It depends on your tempermant aswell, I am not really the nervous type(i also rode out their 18hh sometimes) and nothing frightened me so i was ok, but if you dont feel confident you can guarantee that the horse is going to be worse. I dont really think that size is the issue(after that horse i went to a 13h who was much more of a problem!). Sorry, i have basicly just repeated everyone else!

I hope that you are happy with whatever you decide, she sounds very nice!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Hon, 4 year olds here learn to ride on horses because ponies for some odd reason are considered less reliable and somehow inferior.
I know a small 10 year old girl who has 3 horses, not ONE of which is under 15 hh and she jumps all 3 competitively.
This horse sounds ideal. Don't let her get away!
smile.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hon, 4 year olds here learn to ride on horses because ponies for some odd reason are considered less reliable and somehow inferior.
I know a small 10 year old girl who has 3 horses, not ONE of which is under 15 hh and she jumps all 3 competitively.
This horse sounds ideal. Don't let her get away!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW - all argi kiddies must be incredibly fearless then hehe!!
OOOooh I won't hehe.
laugh.gif

pottamus

Visit site
Yeah, definately attitude of horse rather than size that qualifies for being over horsed. Mine is a 15hh Welsh, so the benefit is I can wrap myself around him with my legs and bury my bum in the saddle when he is misbehaving. Downsides are he has no length of neck...so is very strong in this area and can set against you easily.
He is the most stubborn minded drama queen I have ever known...but I feel safe on him even so!

JessPickle

Visit site
Well I am 5ft 7 and ride pickle who is 17.1hh!!! we started off with a few problems but that was mainly just he had been allowed to get away with things before me!!

Ask for a trial and then try and see whether you think she is too much for you. Just remember if she is be honest with yourself there is no use ending up with a horse you do not enjoy riding!