over oiled saddle

teverlarni

New User
Visit site
Hi can anyone help me, i have bought my daughter a bates caprilli newmarket tan saddle brand new, and she has over oiled it on the saddle and panels with Neatsfoot oil and it has turned black the oil is just seeping from the pores on the back of the saddle, before i commit her to a life of being grounded can anyone suggest a remedy that might work. I realise that it has now darkened but if somehow i could get some of the oil out it might just go a lighter colour. I have always oiled new tack and and even my light stubben bridle which never changed colour like this has. I have been back to the saddler that i bought it from and they have simply just said it is tough and cant offer any solution for it. I am very distraught as we have been saving for ages for this saddle.

samp

Visit site
Oh dear have you tried a towel on it too remove the excess oil? I think you can safely say it does not need oiling again for a long time. That is why I always use a wax - if you use too much you can wipe it off. The colouring should fade overtime??

teverlarni

New User
Visit site
Hi, just about everything in the house even the hair dryer to try and dry it out a bit, i have been browsing the internet most of the day, to find nothing, im sure im not the first to do this, but whoever reads this DONT OVER OIL a BATES SADDLE unless you want it to turn BLACK, one thing for sure i doubt it will ever need oiling again, I just think it is bizarre this colour change even when i have left new stuff for soaking which i Know you shouldnt but for a little while it doesnt seem to matter too much, it has only gone a few shades darker.

bellaboo

Visit site
Try using a sponge or some kitchen towel to absorb as much oil as poss, and dab it rather than trying to wipe it off. It will probably look alot different in the next couple of days.

samp

Visit site
I guess it is a different qulaity leather then? HOw about wrapping it in a cotton sheet overnight or something? Failing that take it out in the rain, may hekp wash some out?? Or even the dreaded fairy liquid?

the watcher

Visit site
we used to soak tack in oil, then dunk it in hot water with detergent to get the excess off, allow it to dry slightly then saddle soap it...back in the dark ages....

so you could try detergent on a bit that doesn't show

jordenknight

Visit site
from personal experience, oiled tack goes dark initially but gets lighter over a few days, (ive got a light tan jumping saddle) dont put it in the rain or anything just leave it first to see if it dries out naturally. DONT CAUSE ANY MORE DAMAGE lol

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Soak up as much oil as possible with a towel, paper towels, anything but don't wipe it then either stick it out in the rain to get a good soaking or put it somewhere warm (but not too near heat) to dry out for a few days.( sunny conservatory, something like that would be grand) You might have to mop it for a few days too as the oil surfaces.
When you start to use it, don't put anything else on it, just wash off with warm water until it really has dried out and then only use saddle soap. You might find, as the leather has been so soaked, that it might stretch a little so do watch your stitching carefully.

teverlarni

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone it will certainly be an interesting one, i have soaked it now, and will hope for best, i have used a super absorbant towel, and my hubby is going to bring some spill kit absorbant towels tomorrow for me. Im just shell shocked at the moment.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
What about sponging it with a hot wet sponge? (not sopping wet). I have a barnsby bridle that I cleaned up very well by doing this. I also added some fairy liquid. left it to dry in the airing cupboard then used leather conditioner on it.