Over priced horses

H-J

www.piczo.com
Has any body seen any over priced horses lately!! I was looking on HorseQuest and cant believe how many horses were for sale for £17K plus with no BD, BSJA or BE points.

I certainly wouldnt buy anything for that amount without it being proven at something e.g a bit of BSJA or a few BD points something to say it was on the right track.

I spose it all depends on what people are looking for and what people will pay but am I right in thinking horse prices have gone down and people want alot more for there money now!!!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has any body seen any over priced horses lately!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anybody seen any that aren't
tongue.gif

Madam_max

Visit site
Well, I think people want silly money these days. I was wondering if they had gone up? I only paids £3750 for Corroy 7 years ago, but she had won £300 BSJA, good all rounder. It seems people want over 7k for horses like her now.

Nic

Visit site
ditto that I have just started to keep my eyes open for something 5-7 to event next year & people want 6k for something that has only just been broken!

Harumph
mad.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
Exactly!!

Obviously peoples horses mean alot to them, but you have to do your research on the market at the time of selling your horse so that you get a rough idea of prices before deciding on some ludicrous price for your horse just because you love them!!

Sarah1

Visit site
When I was looking for my horse my budget was £3000 but I was prepared to buy a yearling if necessary if it meant that I could get something more quality. You should have seen some of the horses I went to see! There was hardly anything about for the money I had to spend that didn't have something wrong with it and I thank my lucky stars I found Bailey! He was head and shoulders above the rest!
Even the yearlings I called about - the ones which looked like they had the most potential were over my budget (granted I was looking at well bred stock).
Horses are way overpriced now, it's ridiculous really!

H-J

www.piczo.com
I know of somebody who is selling a horse for £18K that has no BD, no BSJA and no BE points! It is 9yrs old and has been clear round one Novice XC its most recent event it had 60pens XC. I would certainly not pay £18K for this! Would you????!!!??

H-J

www.piczo.com
Glad im not the only one that thinks that then!!

I brought my horse for £12K and he had done two Intermediates and had 11 points so not sure why this person thinks their horse is worth so much!!!

louisewarner

Visit site
NOT for a moment suggesting that "J - Lo" of OFOH fame would be OVERpriced, and she is a beautiful mare.
However as she is advertised on Horse quest and no price range indicated, what would she be likely to cost? I am a dressagey person and eye is off the ball as far as SJ prices/values go!

If I could have a horse as tolerant and lovely as her I would start saving up!! Guess would have to learn to bend in the middle and shorten up the stirrups tho!

She is advertised under "Schoolmaster" section.

severnmiles

Visit site
I agree alot is overpriced!

However someone once told me, something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Its so true. Something that I wouldn't pay over 1k for might sell to someone who really wanted it for 3k!

If they can get 18k for the horses mentioned above then fair play to them!

hayliana

Visit site
i remember tim stockdale writing a column in horse and rider and saying that prices are too cheap in this country!!! and more or less saying they need to be higher which might get rid of poor owners!!!

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
They're only worth what someone is wiling to pay - so true, one of the clients at my yard paid 6K for the biggest ugliest most oddly put together thing you've ever seen. He wasn't bothered as long as it did the job.
I'm not implying we should judge a horse on looks but how it passed a vetting is beyond me.
Good luck if they can get 18K for it!

sham

Visit site
I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day!

I certainly wouldnt pay the amount of money people seem to be asking for horses with no points and meerly potential.

Bossanova

Visit site
It's madness. But if you advertise them 'cheap' (we're talking 5-6k here) then people wonder whats wrong with it!!
I hate selling horses, we've just vowed to never buy a horse with the intention of selling it on again- way too much hassle, money lost and way too much time wasted!!!
Do however love buying horses, which we seem to be doing too much of lately
crazy.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
You lot wanna go to Doncaster, the cheap horses make £20k+.. and you can get store horses going for £200k+

I know how much J-Lo is going for, TS told owners to sell it for £x and then told buyers to buy it for £xx if you get what i mean! (taking a heafty cut for himself)...

mac

Visit site
And how do you know about TS. At the end of the day it is a business though and that is how the professionals make their money- commision from sales

MissDeMeena

Visit site
It was more the difference that he quoted the two parties!! Wont go into details, as i was only told by a friend of the owners (whom i don't know) so feel i shouldn't be gossiping about it in here!
blush.gif
blush.gif

Louise2005

Visit site
Saw an unbroken 3/4yo in H&H. Arab + Con to make 14.2hh. Lunged over a small fence. Would excel in endurance, eventing disciplines. Or it said something along those lines.
£3,500
ooo.gif
I thought that was very overpriced.

Then there was another that read quick sale needed hence £35,000. Oh yes I'll just get my 35k out of my purse and buy it.
crazy.gif

Lou.x

MillionDollar

Visit site
I can't believe the prices of horses and ponies now. I brought two NF ponies 10 years ago for £600 each i would never be able to buy ponies now for this, they do absolutely everything, i even broke them both to harness last year.

Two years ago we were looking for a 148cm Show Jumper for my sister to bring on and compete, our budget was £4000 could we find one? No, there were ponies that had never even entered a ring for sale for £3,500. Its ridiculous, instead we brought a 16.1 Danish Warmblood who is absolutely perfect in everyway, she has BD and BSJA points and also competed at Hickstead we brought her for just £3,200 including all of the tack because her owner wanted a good loving home for her horse. Best bargain i have ever brought!!

So there are still bargains out there, there are just people who think thart there horse is worth that and only see ££££ signs! lol.

Rachel_M

Visit site
Someone mentioned that they may be priced high but actually selling them is a different matter.

There are alot of horses that go on the market, and stay there, because the owners think thier ickle babies are the next milton and overprice to say the least.

I am on the market for a sports horse, youngster albeit, who will be capable of turning thier foot to a bit of this and that around 3-5 years old. I won't pay a penny over 5k if that. I wonder whether I should go the ex racehorse route. Pay less, use the extra cash for professional re-training, etc?????
confused.gif

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Bought my irish hunter type for £3000 four years ago. I think that this type of horse is still available for this kind of price. He is no real beauty of conformation but is more than capable of doing the job, and most of all LOVES his work! He now has 26BD points (competing at elementary) and has jumped clear round 5 or so BE novices.

He was green and stiff when we bought him, but I think that people are generally buying horses of too high a quality, when that quality isn't really neccessary and doesn't seem to lead to a particularly good temperament.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I'm shocked at how much horses sell for these days, and how much people will pay for a very average Riding Club horse capable of 2ft9" and a prelim dressage test. I'd pay £2500. Wouldn't get one for any les than £6k round here. that's silly money to me.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Reading this thread I wonder how many people have ever sat down and worked out what it costs to breed and keep a horse to four years old...
Even having your own land/mares and stallions etc it is five years work (mare for 11 months to start with) At £2500 that's not a penny profit...Is that fair do you think?
A reasonable price for a four year old 16 hh is around £3500...
If you start at that price as a guide, then add or remove money according to achievments or faults it's a fairer method of pricing..

SpruceRI

Visit site
That's fine if you're buying a horse that has been well trained in the art of having good manners, has been properly handled, wormed, feet etc, but many are not. I can think of several that I've been to see who drag their owners around, won't pick up their hind feet, are bolshy and generally ill mannered. They might jump 3ft, but where's the pleasure in keeping a horse like that?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
No, my point was the cost of rearing from scratch should be the start price, round here you can buy a nice three and a half year old for well under two thousand, and it doesn't reflect the initial breeding costs at all.
We sell our five year olds (Hero for instance on my blog) for £4500, and at that we are only really recouping the rearing costs never mind the hundreds of hours spent training him.
That price is actually very high for this area, where most famers have a mare or two hanging round they send to the local stallions.
The odd time we sell an unbroken animal the price reflects any lack of handling, though ours do get regularly wormed and don't drag folk about!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Someone who i know is selling there horse for 12k and it hasn't completd a BE event this year she puts it down to her A levels! took its first novice last week and got 102 penalties SJ!
its dressage is awful as its soo tense and jut bounces in canter!
it has won about £150 BSJA but its not the nicest looking mare on the flat.