Over reach boot recommendations

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I'm in need of good quality, strike resistant, no turn over reach boots that can withstand turn out as well as riding/jumping. There are soooooo many different brands around and it has been a long long time since I have bought a pair, though. So, lovely HHOers, what do I go for? And, ahem, what size for a 16 hh TB?
Beverage of your choice as a way of thanks :)

jokadoka

Visit site
I've used the good old pull on bell boots for years now. I know they're not very hip or fashionable but do a perfectly good job. They're on just about 24/7 and are quite sturdy although he does lose at least one of them about once a year in the field.
Mine's a 16.1hh TB and he has the M/L size.

Lotty

Visit site
I use the Shires rubber ones with velcro, think I go through about 2 pairs a years and she wears them 24/7. However, I do have a posh pair of Eskadron ones with the sheepskin for when we compete :)

Loopypony

Visit site
I always use the roma pvc ones for turnout as I find them the most hard-wearing with my destructive youngster! He has the new woof wear sheepskin ones for posh and they have prevented injury quite a few times now! Have a pair of Mark Todd competition boots for xc and find they are equally good :)

martlin

Unfortunately, the simple rubber ones are just not tough enough - it is just a piece of plastic, and gets shredded into bits :(
It's also very important that they don't spin :eek:
The horse forges like mad, is young and the feet aren't great, so it is paramount that shoes stay on :eek:

martlin

I always use the roma pvc ones for turnout as I find them the most hard-wearing with my destructive youngster! He has the new woof wear sheepskin ones for posh and they have prevented injury quite a few times now! Have a pair of Mark Todd competition boots for xc and find they are equally good :)
I was looking at the Mark Todd ones and they seem good value for money. Are they long enough/tough enough? How are they in wet?

I know, I am a pain... BUT, I would love a pair of Veredus Piaffe evo and I know I can't have one ;)

Loopypony

Visit site
I find they fit really well on both my tbx and my ID. They are long enough on both to stop overreaching AND shoe pulling! Have had them for over a year now with no major signs of wear on them.
They don't absorb the water too much which is why I use them for xc but not sure how they'd be if you turned out in them?

Ah, I keep looking at the Veredus! I can dream.....;)

Boulty

Visit site
I've got some professionals choice ones that have had a few years now. They haven't really had much use in the past 6 months as loaner doesn't really use them and horsie seems to have got over his over-reaching habit for the moment but before that he had them on for every ride and they're still in very good shape. (considering the previous three pairs he had lasted a day, a few weeks and a few months respectively it's quite remarkable that they're still going!) It was very rare for them to turn (think they may have done it once that I can remember?) but I will admit I never used them for turnout.