Over reaching

_jetset_

Visit site
Silly Grace has cut her front right foot by over reaching, and has also caught on of her back legs with her other bag leg.

Both were bleeding quite a bit, but looked pretty superficial. I have washed them with hibiscrub and applied dermagel an she will be staying in now until Thursday. Is there anything else I should be putting on an over reach?

Thanks,

Rebecca x x

Allyce

Visit site
When molly overreached i just put sudocream on and it healed up within a week
smile.gif

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
personally i would just keep the area clean and let them dry out. Unless the cuts get dirty, in which case would clean with hibiscrub again, i would leave them be. I wouldnt turn out until they had more or less healed though. Sounds like your treating it ok

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... silly bloody horse!

She usually goes out in turnout boots, but they hadn't been washed. Then again, that would only have stopped her catching the back one, not the over reaching.

Does anyone put over reach boots on when turning out?

Patches

Visit site
I do all the time, on advice of the farrier. Patches shoes are extended at the heel for a bit of support. I do it to stop her treading on them if she gallops about, but it would also stop an over reach.

I don't use the rubber ones though as they can rub. Patches are neoprene. I also tend to smear a little bit of udder ointment (like vaseline) around her heels...just in case...to prevent rubs.

ashlane

www.freewebs.com
once your horse is healed i would suggest squaring the back foots, it helps stop them from over reaching, that is what my farrier does to my gelding who was over reaching and it seems to stop him from doing it.