Over-rugging - and not changing day to night rugs

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I do agree that a lot of us overrug, mine is wearing a fullneck underrug and a top stable rug, in the coldest parts of winter he had a thermatex aswell, hes a part bred arab and was clipped twice, however he doesnt feel the cold too much and now that his summer coat is through ive taken a rug off, if its hot his top rug comes off and goes back on at night, but then being on part livery i am able to have this done for me. He only ever goes out with one turnout rug on, they`re so heavy!

reddie

Visit site
Mine is currently wearing a medium TO rug with no neck all day and night. He's out during the day and in at night. Hoepfully not long before he's out 24/7 - hurray!! He has no rubs and always feels warm enough. I definitely agree about over-rugging and the most i would ever put is two. No need to put more on with todays rugs.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
none of our unclipped RS ponies had any rugs when in this winter. Some of the 'finer' breeds had turn out rugs but once in and on deep litter they have been fine naked all winter. Even the clipped ponies (trace clips) and older horses only had at most a medium weight stable rug on.

Interestingly a new one arrived yesterday, trace clipped and unrugged. I checked it about 1hour after its arrival and it was shivering in stable so I immediately dug it out a rug... clearly it had been used to being heavily rugged where it was before. I guess they grow accustomed to the rugs they wear as none of ours were cold yesterday.

I'm really against over rugging, my pony got really sore shoulders just from wearing two rugs over Xmas. Most horses seem to do better with fewer rather than more rugs IMHO

xfeex

Visit site
My mare lives out with on med rug all winter, she usually starts to rub and rip it when she is starting to get warm so it comes off then, thats if she has not got it off her self!

The only reason she has one on is that she can get a bit of rain scald if left without one in the rainy months.

My TB had a HW in the colder months but is now out in a light weight!

aimeerose

Visit site
Hose in question has just come back from loan, is fully clipped incl legs and was stabled.
5 rugs suit her and anyone who want to try to keep her healthy and warm with less is willing to try.
Less rugs and she's cold. Stabling is not an option ATM

parsley

Visit site
Mine wears a turnout rug all the time, although I do change which one he wears according to the weather - his stable is a fenced in barn with walls on 2 sides so he needs the outdoor gear on. I have also found that if I change is day rug for a night one the day one is damp right through for days after whereas his body heat keeps it drier.

Daphnelia

Visit site
Anglo is unclipped and in MW T/O with neck
Welsh D is unclipped and naked, and frankly looks much better for it. Think turnout and rugging is the lesser of two evils though
frown.gif

xxx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Modern rugs are so light and breathable, compared to the old jute rugs - that there really is no comparison.

My horse essentially stays in the same rug 24/7. I change the liners according to the weather. If it's particularly cold he wears a very warm 450g stable rug.

Thumper's rugs fit him well, do not rub and are light in weight.

amandaco2

Visit site
my horses keep their turnout rugs on at night.they get them taken off and a groom everyday though and if the rugs are wet they get swapped.
i will put a thin rug under a turnout in cold weather to help keep them warmer if they need it but they hardly ever do!
cant see a problem

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I rug my horses according to how warm/cold they feel on bum, shoulder and neck, and how cr@p the weather forecast is
grin.gif
not to suit anyone else.
Mine live out 24/7, and therefore I find I have to vary the weight of rugs they wear a lot when the seasons are changing - so now, and autumn.
The other point is, that you could take my TB and turn her out in the arctic and she wouldn't adapt much...she's actually unable to grow an adequate winter coat for this part of the world, as she tends to have a lot of underhair, but no waterproof guard hairs. So I need to keep her rugged more than my other two, who can grow better coats. Equally, in the very hot summers we've had, she's coped much better than all the others.
What other people choose to rug their horses is their business, not mine.
S
grin.gif