Over size Connemaras are they bred?

pistolpete

Visit site
Specifically because I’m too big for a grade 1 Connie. Currently sharing a 15.2 and he’s just gorgeous! Can you buy them knowing they’ll be bigger? Random musing. Not in a place to buy but if I was. He’s stolen my heart this chap.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Definitely they are bred, but as TFF says, they command even more £.
when my daughter was working for a dealer, during Covid, but before the huge price hikes, a newly backed one with negative hoof wall test would fetch c 6/7k then. you can probably almost double that now.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
I have an oversized connie 15.2hh , he was not breed to be oversized, I got him from a very good stud in England, he was born in Ireland, very well bred and the stud I got him from bought him to run on as a stallion only sold him when it was obvious at a year he was going to be over height. i describe him as a opinionated coward, he thinks he knows it all and is scared of it….. he is also quite difficult to keep weight on in the winter.

First Frost

Visit site
I have the most amazing over height Connie. He is 18 years old now. He has fantastic Connie breeding, his mother was supreme champion at Clifden, as was his dam sire. He was supposed to be a stallion but failed his grading due to being over height. therefore he was gelded and came to me as a 4 year old. The best horse I have ever owned. He has evented to BE100, been placed at 2 riding club championships in showjumping. Hacks like a dream and is my best friend.
Connie's are generally expensive and the Irish are becoming wise to the growing market for over heights.

racebuddy

Visit site
Yep I bought mine end of last year very well bred In ireland then from a stud over here , he just turned 6 and already measuring at just on 15.3/16 xx paid absolutely fortune for him never again could I afford that ?‍♀️?‍♀️ But absolutely adore him xx

Attachments

• D8CACBA9-F754-4DDA-8D39-4C0C82905E24.jpeg
    D8CACBA9-F754-4DDA-8D39-4C0C82905E24.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 33

Michen

Visit site
I have had three. Current two were both 15hh as 4 year olds and are now 15.2 (aged 6 and 10!). The 10 year old didn’t stop growing until he was 8.

They are frankly divine creatures though the younger one on the left isn’t my type of horse and is on full loan to a friend. Weirdly although he measures the same and is much rounder and stockier he doesn’t take up my leg as well, I feel like there’s nothing there whereas my older one is like riding a small horse.

8826061F-5505-48FE-B9E9-C27C3D81ABC1.jpeg

Lady Jane

Visit site
Some over height connies are bred and some just grow oversize. In high demand these days as teenagers are taller and they are great for small adults

I'm Dun

Visit site
what would we think about a connie x andalusian x arab x tb around 15. 2 /3 hh ?

would that interest anyone?

Connie x Arab X TB sounds a lovely mix but I dont think I'd be keen on the spanish in the mix. I know theres some in connies already but I always think of connies as small sports horses/ponies, and would expect the same ut with more refinement with an arab/tb mix. I'm not sure what the andalusian brings to the mix. I immediately think of a small Spanish type, very compact and not a lot of movement though, so could be way out!

BBP

Visit site
what would we think about a connie x andalusian x arab x tb around 15. 2 /3 hh ?

Sounds like my ideal horse (or worst nightmare!) my favourite breeds all in one! Not that I’m looking. Two broken horses is enough.

Chiffy

Visit site
There are plenty about. I think TFF was talking about ‘made’ ones being expensive but young ones aren’t. A friend of ours bought a just backed four yr old because she couldn’t afford horse prices. It’s five this year and going to be a cracker. It will be interesting to see if she keeps it or sells on for mega bucks so she can afford a horse!

ArklePig

Visit site
I don't know if it's my imagination but I feel like most of the Connemaras I see these days are over height, some by quite a way. I know one who's 15 3 if he's an inch and somehow is registered. I much prefer the proper old school type than today's sportier models but they do make lovely fun all rounders for those of us who are too big.

tristar

Visit site
Connie x Arab X TB sounds a lovely mix but I dont think I'd be keen on the spanish in the mix. I know theres some in connies already but I always think of connies as small sports horses/ponies, and would expect the same ut with more refinement with an arab/tb mix. I'm not sure what the andalusian brings to the mix. I immediately think of a small Spanish type, very compact and not a lot of movement though, so could be way out!

depends for me which bloodlines, the best blood and the right confo, attitude would be a fabulous little ladies horse, or mens for that matter if big enough, i see it as being a great little mover

chaps89

Visit site

It would be either really nice or really awful!
I’d love a nice old fashioned Anglo arab at some point but they’re not very fashionable nowadays, breed those and bring them back instead. Lol

tristar

Visit site
i like to move forwards with breeding, add new blood

i like the anglo very much, but there are different types within that cross.

i think it would be a fab horse, if using the right horses, but would be asking a high price

i `ve looked for anglo mares, not many around

its about bringing in performance genes and connies have that alright

I'm Dun

Visit site
i like to move forwards with breeding, add new blood

i like the anglo very much, but there are different types within that cross.

i think it would be a fab horse, if using the right horses, but would be asking a high price

i `ve looked for anglo mares, not many around

its about bringing in performance genes and connies have that alright

If your doing it with the aim of high prices its far too much of a gamble. People like spanish horses, and they like connies, but for someone looking for a performance horse they probably want one or the other, or more likely a warmblood as thats the fashion at the minute.

Sprat

Visit site
A fellow livery has just purchased a REALLY smart looking connie x draft. He's about 16hh, and looks like an overgrown connie rather than draft. Only 6 and is very green but a really nice type with decent bone. Looks just like a big pony, he's very sweet

tristar

Visit site
like iberian and connies and i think the anglo blood gives it more of a sport horse edge

i would be looking to breed potential stallion and brood mare quality, so if they perform as expected they would be pricey

i`m not a warmblood fan, hence looking for other foundation type stock to go fowards with

the connies i really like are generally too small for me, and pure iberian are great for out crossing so this would be the next best thing

I'm Dun

Visit site
But whats your market? People like recognised breeds, or perhaps a first cross, but you'd effectively be creating a mongrel so that puts people off.There would be differing types and heights as well. It takes a fair few generations to have a consistent type that breeds true.

What do you see the market for the stallion being? I wouldnt want to use it on pony mares due to the bigger height genes, I wouldnt want to use it to add refinement due to the pony genes, and I wouldnt want to use it to add bone due to the tb/arab. There would be potential for creating a sharp, small horse with too much brains for most riders, a little pocket rocket type. They dont appeal to that many and certainly dont command significant prices.

People would buy them with a significant price tag as a 6 to 10yr old outperforming and doing the job, but they wont pay a lot for youngsters and potential. So if its a commerical enterprise you wont even break even.

tristar

Visit site
to be honest i don`t breed for others, i breed what i like, and people ask to buy it

it would not be a mongrel in the sense that it would have many top class blood lines in one horse, a sort of amalgamation of all of the best

i do agree it would be sharp, but its is a working horse in truth.

anything good enough to be a stallion would fast track me to the next generation

i see the bloodlines i would use producing up to 16.1 16.2 hh or down to 15. hh and blood bone is always stronger, but i would not use anything without adequate bone anyway

i never have bred for money, but good horses sell themselves, i always breed to breed again with 2 or more generations in mind, some connie lines have decent bone, and some arab lines produce bone, ie comet

if people want a specific breed they can go to breed societies, other countries are more accepting of type, quality, bloodlines and the indviual, cause with breeding you can`t stand still, some of the wb stallion gradings reject colts because they already have those bloodlines multiple times

what this is about is people wanting big connies or perhaps of connie type not so easy to find when you want one, some of the backends and hocks of the overgrown connies leave a lot to be desired

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
it would not be a mongrel in the sense that it would have many top class blood lines in one horse, a sort of amalgamation of all of the best

i do agree it would be sharp, but its is a working horse in truth.
I like your idea, tristar, but I almost wonder whether NF blood would be better than using connies to make it a bit more sane, and to keep it hardy and sure-footed.