overalls?

05jackd

Visit site
I need some inspiration/ wise recommendations. I am doing a huge amount of washing as I do the horses straight from work and thus every night my work clothes are that lovely horsey fragrance! Thankfully my work clothes are pretty informal.

Who uses a boiler suit/ onesie/ waterproof trousers? I just want something light - maybe showerproof to go over my work cloths to protect them from the hay and smell.

All recommendations welcome!

Love

Visit site
I have the original Posh Muckerz and they are absolutely fab. Use them all the time in winter for both yard work and riding, perfect for clipping in. Have also photographed events in them all day in torrential rain and still been bone dry underneath. They are very warm though so I only wear them in colder weather. They do have a lightweight version which people use in warmer but still wet and muddy weather.

They are on the slightly more expensive side but worth every penny for me personally (edited to add: just looked and price has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine a few years ago)

Abacus

Visit site
A friend of mine uses a boiler suit for clipping that she got from one of the trade catalogues, was quite cheap I think. And a lovely bright red (sometimes roan, depending on who she was clipping).

Skib

sites.google.com
I have some white decorators' overalls for home decorating. Problem is same as with dungarees, it is harder for women to drop them down to go to the loo. Posting this as someone who has much loved dungarees.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I have the original Posh Muckerz and they are absolutely fab. Use them all the time in winter for both yard work and riding, perfect for clipping in. Have also photographed events in them all day in torrential rain and still been bone dry underneath. They are very warm though so I only wear them in colder weather. They do have a lightweight version which people use in warmer but still wet and muddy weather.

They are on the slightly more expensive side but worth every penny for me personally (edited to add: just looked and price has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine a few years ago)

Bloody hell the price of these!!

Spirit7

Visit site

Another vote for posh muckers, so warm I can get out of bed and put them on over underwear or if it’s really cold over my pyjamas. Horses fed and turned out and back inside clean once removed. They are great to ride in as well and wash well too. I’ve not reproofed as yet but not needed to. Bought Dec 2022.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I just use ordinary farm overalls that you can get from any farm store. Keep the clothes underneath clean and it is another layer in cold weather.

lynz88

Visit site
I just came across this thread but OP, you must have been reading my mind on the way home from the yard today as I was wondering the same thing now that horse is coming back into work (not ridden for now) and am "forced" to be back in the office more often now.

The Posh Muckerz look like they would fit the bill but defo on the expensive side 😳

Mrs B

Visit site
Bloody hell the price of these!!

Sorry OP - this is going to be a sidetrack, but it is very much linked to a few comments. (For the record, look at 3 Donkeys - https://www.3donkeys.co.uk/ - no, not my company!!)

Not a go at you, Sossigpoker, but the price of manufacturing and running a small business these days makes me not at all surprised.

Even after the setting-up costs of R&D, pattern cutting, fabric samples and prototypes, you've got the price of the fabric itself, and the fasteners etc .... then the wage of the people who make them, the cost of delivery to the seller, the website, the packaging, print costs, ads, electricity to run everything, the licence to process personal information to the COI, necessary accounting fees ... and that's before you even consider taking out a bit of money to live on yourself if you run the thing.

I know all this because I started a little equestrian business to develop and have manufactured a few of my equestrian inventions. It's been running for 4 years, my products get rave reviews and are in demand worldwide, but I don't even begin to charge enough to make my set-up costs back, let alone pay myself anything. The moulds to make each product are about £5k each, and each unit is individually made and hand-finished. (All cheaper production options have been thoroughly explored, trust me!) I do all the marketing, PR, packaging & order fulfilment myself.

After I'd set up, I learned (too late!) that the basic rules of production are - if it costs you £10 to make, you should charge £80 to make it a viable business.

That's quite shocking when you think about the price of horse stuff you buy and work it backwards.

But the truth is, many small-company people like me simply try to provide great products without having our business heads on. Because they are proud of them. I am officially stupid in that department.

Last year was my best year yet. But I'm still told my products are far too expensive 🤷‍♀️

I came out £468 ahead.

Not much to live on for 52 weeks though, is it?

Last edited: