Overcoming cynicism and questions about going to Rockley

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
Bit of an odd one but my horse has been lame for months with a small DDFT tear in her foot and a sticky navicular bursa (diagnosed by MRI). She had surgery on it in 2014 and all was well til May last year. She's barefoot but my farrier didn't do a good job (kicking myself so hard) so she ended up with long toes and collapsed heels. It took a long time to persuade the vet that Rockley was a good idea having already tried steroid injections, rest, raised heel shoes. I now have a trimmer who is doing a great job and her foot is improving in shape but she simply isn't getting the walking that she needs and she's not got much sounder.

I am on the list to go to Rockley hopefully in March but have come up against so much cynicism from everyone around me as they can't understand what it is they do that walking, box rest and the vet won't do. They think I'm mad for spending the money but in my own mind all else has failed, she's not getting better and it's miserable all round for us. Even if it doesn't work, she'll have had a lovely three months out walking rather than being stuck in or walking the roads with me. I can't hope to cover the ground she needs to (I work full time and the roads are busy and she's a bit of a liability).

I just wondered if anyone could give me some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing and any counter-arguments I can keep up my sleeve to combat well meaning friends? Sometimes people give you so much advice it's incredibly confusing and I just don't know what to think any more. It's been a rotten 2016, lame horse, kicked in the face by another horse (resulting in broken teeth and jaw) and then my other half of 13 years left me at Christmas! If nothing else, a 3 month break from the drudgery of box rest and walking would be worth the money....

Leg_end

Visit site
My horse Buddy went to Rockley in Nov 2012 after I was advised to PTS by my vet. I wanted to give him one last chance to come right and so off he went to Exmoor. He was consistently heel first by week 6 and was sound at week 8. He had incredibly flat feet due to the damage from shoeing and so was still sensitive on stones (on a hard surface) when he came home but this improved as the weeks went on. He has been sound ever since and has done BE, hunted, numerous fun rides and is now focused on dressage with the aim of getting out at medium this year. My vet even said to me in August that he can't believe he ever told me to put him down! The link in my signature takes you to the blog I started (Buddy's Barefoot Adventure) when he went to Rockley and shows all our adventures since.

There are lots of us on the Rockley forum which is totally private as only rehab owners are allowed to join and that's a great place to find some support (and have a rant) too. As for your well meaning friends, in all honesty if they have made up their mind that you are crazy for thinking about it then there's very little that you can say that will make a difference. I experienced some horrible people who told me I was mad for thinking about it let alone doing it, that I couldn't event, he'd fall over on grass, I'd never be able to hack on the road.. the list went on and it didn't seem to matter to them that my only other option was PTS. I like to think that we have proved our point now but I'm sure they'd say it was just a fluke or we were misdiagnosed to start with ;) There are lots of rehabs back out there doing it, one of my friends is planning to go out at Novice BE this season and there are plenty of competitive horses plus happy hackers in the mix of successful horses.

Feel free to drop me a message if you'd like to know anything else. Good luck!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
*******s to them, if they can't see how it is different they aren't clued up enough to be giving advice worth taking :p

Hopefully stencilface will rock up, she's surrounded by naysayers but ignored them and sent him to rockley anyway and I think she'd say the tracks made a big difference to him as he was the type that needed them and she'd struggled to do it at home.

They don't all go home amazing but I think they all go home improved and more able to deal with any blips along the line. They don't all finish off rock crunching either but I still think it's their best chance.

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
Thank you both, that's reassuring. Luckily she has extremely good hoof quality so doesn't struggle on different surfaces, it's the persistent soft tissue injury that just keeps on niggling. I'm going to plough my own furrow and go ahead, the alternative is PTS sadly so there is nothing to lose but money now! Will have a look at your blog Leg_end, it's great to hear that what looked like a hopeless case has come back to live a useful and enjoyable life.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have indeed rocked up ;)

Mine went in January last year, and has been sound on his feet ever since.I've had to work through other soundness issues related to his SI, but I'm on the way to cracking that. He went with ddft damage in both fronts, and had niggling other injuries (psd, tendonitis) since 2011. At the moment working on the arena he looks the best he has in years.

No one needs to make choices about your horse but you, sounds like you've had long enough of dealing with your horses issues and conventional treatment hasn't worked. I'd say send him, March will be beautiful there! My poor boy only got to be there in the wet winter months lol.

I'm not sure mine will ever be rock crunching over everything, but I'm hoping to get out and compete this year (once I've popped a sprog, the neddie better stay sound til then!) I can tell he's feeling good as kept trying to run out of the jumps on the lunge today, normally he's not naughty enough for that.

Bonus is, bar the remedial shoes he had in winter 2015 pre rockley he hasn't had his feet trimmed since August 2013, only a couple more years before I've recouped the cost of rockley ;)

Best thing about going is the support and network you have at your disposal afterwards, and the diet plan etc.

I think if you could ask your horse, he'd say a 3 month holiday in Devon was a wonderful idea :)

PorkChop

Visit site
I'd say, its your horse, and your money. You only have to please yourself and your horse.

I have everything crossed that Rockley works its magic for you :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have no experience of rockley but if i had decided to send my horse i would ignore other people....as long as you are clear in your own mind what you want to do with YOUR horse its nobodys business...if it doesnt work you will know you have tried everything...good luck and fingers crossed for you...

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I have indeed rocked up ;)

Mine went in January last year, and has been sound on his feet ever since.I've had to work through other soundness issues related to his SI, but I'm on the way to cracking that. He went with ddft damage in both fronts, and had niggling other injuries (psd, tendonitis) since 2011. At the moment working on the arena he looks the best he has in years.

No one needs to make choices about your horse but you, sounds like you've had long enough of dealing with your horses issues and conventional treatment hasn't worked. I'd say send him, March will be beautiful there! My poor boy only got to be there in the wet winter months lol.

I'm not sure mine will ever be rock crunching over everything, but I'm hoping to get out and compete this year (once I've popped a sprog, the neddie better stay sound til then!) I can tell he's feeling good as kept trying to run out of the jumps on the lunge today, normally he's not naughty enough for that.

Bonus is, bar the remedial shoes he had in winter 2015 pre rockley he hasn't had his feet trimmed since August 2013, only a couple more years before I've recouped the cost of rockley ;)

Best thing about going is the support and network you have at your disposal afterwards, and the diet plan etc.

I think if you could ask your horse, he'd say a 3 month holiday in Devon was a wonderful idea :)

Thank you so much for sharing, that gives me real hope. If nothing else the break for both of us has to be a good thing! Good luck with the sprog and the competing :)

I'd say, its your horse, and your money. You only have to please yourself and your horse.

I have everything crossed that Rockley works its magic for you :)

Thank you, I really hope they can silence the naysayers :)

i have no experience of rockley but if i had decided to send my horse i would ignore other people....as long as you are clear in your own mind what you want to do with YOUR horse its nobodys business...if it doesnt work you will know you have tried everything...good luck and fingers crossed for you...

Thank you, at least I will have done all I can.

Puddleduck

Visit site
I just would not discuss it .
It's your money to do what you choose with .

Exactly this. She is also your horse and its up to you to do what you feel is best for her. If you don't try it (assuming that you can afford to) and she continues to be unsound you will always be left wondering if it could have worked and possibly regretting not going ahead.

OP I'm in a similar position, my gelding had a similar diagnosis to your mare's last October. However I have the full support of my vet to try barefoot as a route to sorting him out so we've skipped the operations and remedial wedges.
I posted on here back then as I was considering Rockley, however decided to give it a go myself as I have access to both gravel and concrete surfaces. Shoes came off 30th November and we've been walking everyday since then.
I have been told that what I'm doing is ridiculous, my horse needs shoes to support his feet and the only reason he's sound currently is because he's not in work (he is doing 40 minutes in hand walks on concrete and gravel daily). I've chosen to ignore this 'advice' and carry on although I'm sure I will be scrutinised and criticised for a long time to come.
It hasn't been easy and there have been times when I've almost regretted not sending him away (it's like doing another full time job on top of my paid one!). But the results I'm seeing already are all the incentive and proof that I need.

Keep the faith and do what you feel is right for you and your mare. There are enough supportive and understanding people here to help keep you going.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I got told (by an instructor, not one I use!) that shoes help support the legs. I declined to reply as decided it was a lost cause.

Leg_end

Visit site
I got told (by an instructor, not one I use!) that shoes help support the legs. I declined to reply as decided it was a lost cause.

I had a very similar conversation with one of our Olympic DR riders when he told me my horse would have more expression and support for that if he was shod. I ended up getting off and showing him exactly why I'd never do that and he said I could just show behind... he sort of missed the point but hey ho!!

Boulty

Visit site
If they're curious but sceptical throw a blog / website link in their direction (or even better some facts and figures from Project Dexter... alternatively I'm pretty sure Nic has a word document of some description that she forwards onto sceptical vets explaining it all?), if they're not actually interested in hearing the reasoning and are just whinging because they wouldn't have made the same choice as you and they don't really want to understand then ignoring them for now is probably the best policy.

If you're wanting it putting into words I'd hazard a guess that the reason this sort of setup can still work even with an already barefoot horse is the combination of the amount of turnout and movement on a variety of surfaces (I'd guess the hillwork is also rather beneficial), whilst being on a diet that is balanced the the grass and forage, overseen by someone very experienced in rehab work (and therefore knows just how much they should be pushing the horse work-wise) who has the time to work the horse as much as is needed be that inhand, leading off another horse or ridden followed by lots of support once the horse is home.

My horse went to Rockley in 2014 at around the same time of year (it was the year we had that particularly glorious summer and I went and visited a few times. I still refuse to believe people who tell me that Exmoor is anything but warm, sunny and lovely! The 6hr motorway trip in a car with no aircon was a bit less lovely!) I really and honestly could not have taken him barefoot at home. I didn't know what I was doing and he was quite sore on concrete and the line when shoes first came off. I work full time. No way on earth could I have given him what he needed at home even if I had known what I was doing

My horse still does not rock crunch. He has cushings and sidebone and his soles are still on the thin side so yes he does still feel the bigger / sharper stones. He does a heck of a lot more work-wise than he used to manage beforehand though and we've made some awesome friends along the way too. (And I believe it was through talking about our rehab beasties on here that led to Stencilface giving me the name of her instructor, who I have now started using)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Oh, how's that going with Nancy? I only manage once a month really but I really see the difference in him. I'm looking forward to summer when I can have a clean horse for my lessons, I've given up in the mud battle with a grey.

I really want to do a meet up this year, but need to be riding!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I wouldn't even discuss it with them. Say she's going to a rehab yard and leave it at that if you have to say something. I would 100% give it a go if I were you. If you can afford it why wouldn't you frankly. Or if you can't I would be saying do their rehab yourself.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Tell them Rockley has hundreds of metres of track with varied stone/shale/pea gravel surfaces on it, which he will be walking on 24 hours a day and no amount of work you can do at home can match the therapy provided by that surface.

Then tell them to mind their own business!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have no experience about rockley but have read quite a few success stories on here, but it is definitely something I would consider for my horses if shoes were just not working for them, I really hope it works out for you both and he comes sound, and as for the know it all and know **ck all brigade just ignore them just think how lovely it will feel when you can tell them your horse is fixed:)

SEL

Visit site
I bet the people who are being cynical have never even been on the Rockley blog, read the success stories or even understand the linkage between diet / movement / soundness.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
they can't understand what it is they do that walking, box rest and the vet won't do.

I think the fact that they won't understand and you are willing shows that you by a whole planet are far above their understanding already.

Walking - how much can you do to stimulate a foot? You need to walk 20miles a day. Can you do that every day?
Box rest - how will putting a horse in a box 24/7 going to do anything to build a decent structure in the foot?
Vet - none so blind as those blinded by science.

You are doing the RIGHT thing!! There is no shoe, wedge, pad, injection, operation that will rebuild a foot. Set the foot free, and let nature do the rest. Arm yourself with as much open minded knowledge, opinions and be kind to those that don't understand.

Love a lot, trust a few, always paddle your own canoe.

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
Thank you all, you've reassured me that this is the best way to go. Like YCBM says, I couldn't hope to match the activity she will get at home. And if all else fails, she'll have a lovely last three months.

Boulty

Visit site
Oh, how's that going with Nancy? I only manage once a month really but I really see the difference in him. I'm looking forward to summer when I can have a clean horse for my lessons, I've given up in the mud battle with a grey.

I really want to do a meet up this year, but need to be riding!

Things are going ok, thanks. Had a bit of a lull over Xmas as my lorry was poorly / in the garage but been back for a few more lessons since. Pony is even starting to have moments where he looks like a horse, not a llama :) Prince is NEVER clean at the moment either as the gateway is just liquid ooze. (He also likes to roll and cover his ears in mud and then refuse to let me brush it off again) I'm always up for finding new riding buddies if / when you are properly back on board (even through the pony already has a bigger friends list and better social life than me!)

Polonaise

Visit site
Whatever you find easiest to be honest. Initally I told people that my mare was in my parents field as not worth paying livery when she wasn't in work! Rockley has tracks and balanced minerals etc that are hard to replicate at home particularly when you first start out, it takes a lot of the variables out of why they're footy. Also it means you not having to spend hours hand walking. The cost is roughly the same as full livery with exercise so easily justifiable if you work full time as obviously you can't put the time in yourself. If you think they'll listen then obviously explain what happens there etc but most people don't really care.

I own two of the horses in the RRR videos, one's a Rockley Rehab who is currently hunting fit 3 years on and at 19 years of age. The other one didn't go to Rockley (I transitioned him myself) but is kept to the same principles (I now have my own track system at home), he's going to Badders in the spring ;)
https://mitsubishimotorscup.badminton-horse.co.uk/index.php/rebecca-hart-and-ive-been-mangoed/

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hey! (mock outrage) there's 2 vets, a registered veterinary nurse and veterinary receptionist riding in the RRR16 vimeo link above ;)

Hey! Before you mock outrage at people, maybe you want to look up what being blinded by science actually means..... :)