Overdosed pony earlier...

lilaclomax

Visit site
... Couldn't make head nor tails about the dosing on Sedalin and went for just over 5ml for a very wound up pony who weighs in around 300kg... it did the job and he became very sleepy but still standing and happy to be moved around.
He needed something to take off the edge as he had been stressed since the hunt came through yesterday and was bouncing off the fences this morning :(
Eventually got through to my vets who said he should have had 2.5ml to take off the edge, the doubling up will not cause any damage other than the deeper sedation for 6 hours but lesson learnt and notes taken for next time an emergency pops up.

Goes away to the corner to write lines.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Glad you got there in the end. I think your vet should be writing the lines for not giving you instructions on dosage at the time he gave youi the sedalin.

lilaclomax

Visit site
Glad you got there in the end. I think your vet should be writing the lines for not giving you instructions on dosage at the time he gave youi the sedalin.

Not their fault... different time and incident for the last use (more than 18 months ago too!)

dominobrown

Visit site
I have known people give horses 8ml+ of Seadalin, they were all fine, and on one horse had no effect at all! Just live him in with water but NO hay or food for a few horses. When sedated horse will eat and chew but do not swallow peoperly so can choke.

Tickles

Visit site
Well, sounds like he'll be fine this time. :)

Forgive me but why were you sedating him? Was it solely because he became difficult to handle after the hunt went by?

No shame at all in having a ground work lesson (and looking at what you can do to chill him out more generally/desensitise) for situations like this.

I’d be concerned if I had a horse I couldn’t handle in relatively day-to-day situations without drugging it (and I have been there – ground work lesson fixed it :))

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
extra sedalin iirc mainly just increases the length of time they are sedated for not the actual sedation itself.

tickles we also sedate our mare when the hunt comes round (2/3 times a year).. the first time they did she didn't stop moving whether it be walking the fence line or box walking for a good 48 hours. Much better for her and us and our field if she is a little dopey so not to hear them (they don't come that close!)

lilaclomax

Visit site
Forgive me but why were you sedating him? Was it solely because he became difficult to handle after the hunt went by?

The hunt were going around the field and potentially with dogs under the fenceline too... this was yesterday afternoon but he was barging through the electric fencing into the other side of the field (3 times) even after they went by and he was still as high as a kite this morning, no issues with being handled just very stressed and unsettled.
He doesn't do stabling and his field mate (my other boy) was not fussed about anything this morning, I just needed something to calm him down so he could start to see sense again and relax enough as the weight was dropping off in front of us - luckily this is a once a year event (the first one he has witnessed) so any suggestions other than moving him away for the day would be appreciated (btw he is a first pony for my daughters and although a typical naughty pony is generally settled!)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I gave Nits 8mls by mistake one day. Was rushing and read the damn thing the wrong way round so she got 8mls instead of the 2 I was after! It's easily done. She was dopey for ages. Wore off eventually though sadly :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
bad times jess, bad times. After a few vet visits of late there are occasions I have decided I like Frank a bit sleepy too!

OP ours would def go dolally if they got that close they just need to be able to forget about it for a bit.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Well, sounds like he'll be fine this time. :)

No shame at all in having a ground work lesson (and looking at what you can do to chill him out more generally/desensitise) for situations like this.

I’d be concerned if I had a horse I couldn’t handle in relatively day-to-day situations without drugging it (and I have been there – ground work lesson fixed it :))

I have to sedate my 33 year old if he's been in for any length of time to save him injuring himself as he seems to think he's 3, he becomes an andalusian stallion and thinks he can do those flying things. I can completely understand the OP doing what they thought was best for a pony going nuts that could have injuring itself, it was nothing to do with the handling as far as I can gather, it was going nuts in the field ??

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
The hunt were going around the field and potentially with dogs under the fenceline too... this was yesterday afternoon but he was barging through the electric fencing into the other side of the field (3 times) even after they went by and he was still as high as a kite this morning, no issues with being handled just very stressed and unsettled.
He doesn't do stabling and his field mate (my other boy) was not fussed about anything this morning, I just needed something to calm him down so he could start to see sense again and relax enough as the weight was dropping off in front of us - luckily this is a once a year event (the first one he has witnessed) so any suggestions other than moving him away for the day would be appreciated (btw he is a first pony for my daughters and although a typical naughty pony is generally settled!)

If you know when they are coming you could sedate him beforehand, now you know his likely reaction

tonitot

Visit site
I'll probably get shot down for this :eek: but when I had Henry I gave him the whole 10ml .. He was only 11hh :eek: He was in desperate need of having his feet done, he came to me with his feet on the verge of curling up as he hadn't been seen for so long due to his behavior with the farrier. He was frightened but lashed out. I gave him 2ml the first time, didn't touch him. 5ml the next, didn't touch him. Decided to just give him a whole tube and he was doable but still tried to kick the farriers head in. He slowly got better with the farrier but I had to sell him soon after so didn't really have much if a chance to make him better :(

lilaclomax

Visit site
Thanks everyone - don't feel so bad now!

He is back to normal now and I believe I did the right thing... will definately sedate next time, you would have thought that by now he would have seen everything as he is 22 years young!!! (maybe he got wound up because he wasn't part, who knows!)

Tinseltoes

Visit site
People I got my cobblet off gave him Sedalin as he wouldnt box,they told me they gave him almost the whole tube,all but a little bit.When they bought him to me is was 10pmish,pitch black,poor horse was so drowsy. Idiots shouldnt of given him so much,he was 3 years old and only 14.1hh. To top it off my poor boy had this parelli type halter so tight I couldnt even undo it.
Glad I have him now,hes almost 10 and has never been drugged since.

Tnavas

Visit site
I gave my weanling the full tube once - she had to be clipped to prepare her for the coming show season.

She was an angel to clip and then took a few hours to wake up again. It's not a worry to give over the dose to a mare but a gelding/stallion you have to be careful as if they have too much the penile muscle relaxes too much and they can't retract the penis again. (Serious problem)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Could be arranged, she is in a confined space, can't be too hard to get her between the eyes with a pitchfork :D

Poor Nitty :eek:

Poor Nitty my arse. She is perfectly evil when she's cooped up!

tonitot, I certainly won't shout at you. At least you did it on purpose, mine was shear incompetence! lol I'd do it again though!

OP, glad he has woken up again now :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You should see a pony who's been given penicillin who's allergic to penicillin. Poor pony, was like he was hungover for a couple of days, just lay flat out :eek:

We'd had him 13 years at the time, and he was always such a fit strong pony we never knew!