Overgrown Connemara

Bellax

New User
Visit site
I am wanting to show my over grown Connemara she is roughly 15hh mare next year only at the local shows

what classes would she be able to be shown in

conniegirl

Visit site
You would need to plait him up and they generally do quite well in the SHP classes but we need a photo to advise really. There is sometimes an age limit on the SHP classes though.

You might get away with M&M classes at the smaller unaffiliated local shows but any judge who knows their stuff will pop you straight at the bottom of the line, also if there are any affiliations it generaly says "registered in the main section of their respective stud book" which if she is over height she wont be so you risk a complaint from another competitor (and if upheld could mean losing any rosettes, lots of upset, bad feeling etc)

ETA - Has she been officially measured yet? quite often horses who are thought to be 15hh at home will easily measure in at 14.2hh on an official pad if given time to relax.
Also the height is without shoes.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
A lot of local shows around here have changed the title of their M&M classes to 'M&M Type' which would suit your horse as the criteria isn't as strict as pure/proper M&M classes. As said in the reply above, plaited connies always seem to do well in Hunter Pony classes, and also '(small) RC horse' and WH if they jump well. You could also enter rider-focused classes such as 'best rider' and 'best combination'. Local shows seem to do a lot more 'novelty' type classes now which would suit a variety of horse types, such as 'best condition', 'best handler' or 'best conformation'.

The type of classes and standard/flexibility of the judges depends on the show really, if it is a local show with any type of qualifying classes (for a bigger, end of season regional show) then I think you'd struggle in an M&M class if she is definitely over 14.2hh. Smaller or novice shows tend to be more relaxed and have a greater variety of classes, so it depends what you want to aim for really.

Ironically I made sure (repeated measuring, and with shoes off and he came with an annual height cert) when I bought my current connie that he wasn't too big to show, but I am now doing more dressage (and some jumping) and occasionally think that a slightly bigger one would be nice! I wouldn't swap him for anything though.

Good luck, and I hope you both have fun :)

Bellax

New User
Visit site
A lot of local shows around here have changed the title of their M&M classes to 'M&M Type' which would suit your horse as the criteria isn't as strict as pure/proper M&M classes. As said in the reply above, plaited connies always seem to do well in Hunter Pony classes, and also '(small) RC horse' and WH if they jump well. You could also enter rider-focused classes such as 'best rider' and 'best combination'. Local shows seem to do a lot more 'novelty' type classes now which would suit a variety of horse types, such as 'best condition', 'best handler' or 'best conformation'.

The type of classes and standard/flexibility of the judges depends on the show really, if it is a local show with any type of qualifying classes (for a bigger, end of season regional show) then I think you'd struggle in an M&M class if she is definitely over 14.2hh. Smaller or novice shows tend to be more relaxed and have a greater variety of classes, so it depends what you want to aim for really.

Ironically I made sure (repeated measuring, and with shoes off and he came with an annual height cert) when I bought my current connie that he wasn't too big to show, but I am now doing more dressage (and some jumping) and occasionally think that a slightly bigger one would be nice! I wouldn't swap him for anything though.

Good luck, and I hope you both have fun :)

Hi my long term goal would be to event her but she’ll only be 4 next year so looking for something fun to do

Silver Clouds

Visit site
As you are looking to have fun rather than aiming for a serious showing career then it sounds like you should have quite a few classes to choose from. I'm not sure when the mare's birthday is but be aware that in my experience most local shows will not allow horses under 4 to compete (unless there are specific in-hand youngstock classes), and I have seen show organisers ask to see horses passports on two occasions to check that the horses in question were old enough (they weren't so were asked to leave- someone who knew the riders had made a complaint :eek:).

conniegirl

Visit site
but be aware that in my experience most local shows will not allow horses under 4 to compete (unless there are specific in-hand youngstock classes), and I have seen show organisers ask to see horses passports on two occasions to check that the horses in question were old enough (they weren't so were asked to leave- someone who knew the riders had made a complaint :eek:).
Doesnt matter when her actual birthday is, she is considered as 4 yrs old from 1st of Jan in the year in which she will turn 4.

Bellax

New User
Visit site
As you are looking to have fun rather than aiming for a serious showing career then it sounds like you should have quite a few classes to choose from. I'm not sure when the mare's birthday is but be aware that in my experience most local shows will not allow horses under 4 to compete (unless there are specific in-hand youngstock classes), and I have seen show organisers ask to see horses passports on two occasions to check that the horses in question were old enough (they weren't so were asked to leave- someone who knew the riders had made a complaint :eek:).
She’s got quite an early birthday at the end of March

Silver Clouds

Visit site
Doesnt matter when her actual birthday is, she is considered as 4 yrs old from 1st of Jan in the year in which she will turn 4.

I always thought that was the rule, but one of the (UA) RC's around here now says in it's schedule that it is based on actual birth date, as shown in the horse's passport. I suppose as horses shouldn't be travelled without their passport it is easier to check at shows than it used to be. I think that one of the riders I mentioned above had assumed that the age was the traditional 'From Jan that year' age, as she seemed honestly shocked when asked to leave as her horse was 'under-age'. Mind you, I have heard of some interesting rules and class types being used at small shows, it was far less confusing when the traditional conventions applied- e.g. the 'M&M Type' classes seem to largely be a free-for-all for any type of horse that's not an (obvious) TB. At least with a proper M&M class you would know who does and who doesn't qualify :). I hadn't attended a 'local'/small show for many years until I lent my pony to a friend's children for a couple of shows last year, and I couldn't believe how much had changed (although I realise not all shows will be like this).

mcnaughty

Visit site
Silver Clouds - that is very much the exception rather than the rule and unless it specifically says 'actual birthday' then the rule with equines is 1 Jan for all breeds. I have never been asked to show my passport at any RC, County or affiliated showing event. Also, totally agree with Conniegirl above - if you want to seriously show your pony, get it JMB measured as you may be very very surprised at how small they come in officially than at home. Photos would be lovely too ;-)

kimberleigh

Visit site
Has she already been inspected?

Plenty of connie mares get their height cert at 2 years old, and by the time they are 5/6/7 they are considerably bigger!!

But if you're only looking at doing local level there shouldn't be much of an issue.

My own mare is 15.2 barefoot (actual birthday is xmas and she will be 4) and was never inspected as was already over height at 2 years old!

Silver Clouds

Visit site
Silver Clouds - that is very much the exception rather than the rule and unless it specifically says 'actual birthday' then the rule with equines is 1 Jan for all breeds. I have never been asked to show my passport at any RC, County or affiliated showing event. Also, totally agree with Conniegirl above - if you want to seriously show your pony, get it JMB measured as you may be very very surprised at how small they come in officially than at home. Photos would be lovely too ;-)

I realise it is the exception, and had never come across it until last year, but as it seems to be a 'thing' amongst some of the smaller shows around here I was only mentioning it so the OP didn't get caught out :) . Mind you, they had seemed to have quite a few random rules so glad I wasn't competing myself as it wasn't what I expected, and is one of the reasons why I won't judge at that type of show (too confusing!).

I have never had anyone ask to check any of my horses' ages when showing affiliated/RC etc either (or at any other type of affiliated competition) :).