Overheating clippers

RunToEarth

Visit site
Mine have been overheating slightly this summer which I notcied when hogging cob, but being so disorganised I never got them serviced. Should I clip my coloured this week at the risk of them over heating and conking out or should I send them to be serviced and risk not getting them back until March?
crazy.gif

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
How clean are they? Do you thoroughly clean them after every clip? Do you take the filters out and wash them? If they are clean and the filters are clean and they are still running too warm I would not use them without getting them serviced first.

If however the filters are clogged up with hair and oil I would remove the filters and clean them thoroughly and then clip with them but use a clip wash too to help keep them cool.

Make sure you have a neighbour/friend handy on the end of the phone in case you need to borrow their clippers if yours blow up!
wink.gif

barneyandem

Visit site
I would give them a good thorough clean and oil and if they are still over heating i would get them serviced, mine only take about a week to get back, so if you look on H&H classified and give service places a ring, they should let you know their turnaround.
Personally i wouldnt use them if they were still overheating after a good clean out as you run the risk of burning out the motor and that will be expensive to repair(i made the mistake of this myself!) If they are over heating after hogging i would definately not use them incase they fuse or burn out ....

eekmon

Visit site
Mine used to do the same, got them serviced, the guy who serviced them explained via letter what was wrong with them! He fixed them and even sent the dodgy part back to me!
blush.gif
They are now fine!!

_daisy_

Visit site
my dad services mine - could you get yours to have a look?
i personally wouldnt use them till you get them checked out. Can you borrow some to clip him till you get yours sorted?

Cornish

Visit site
Don't do it! I did and they blew up! (in the summer, a week before a large agricultural show leaving a half clipped, half hairy cob! Eek!).The armature (sp?) broke and the upshot was that I bought new ones, as I wouldn't have been confident even having them repaired - with an expensive quote! Its not worth the hassle....

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh have cleaned them but not filters in a while. Silly Rosiie. Must be all that cob mane clogging them up, will go and have a dabble with them. Yes bekka is on hand if mine decide to die on me. Sarah I may nee your dad to have a look at them if he would?x

Tia

Visit site
If it isn't hairs clogging up the ventilation blowers then it sounds like the blades need sharpening - this puts added stress on the clippers and will have them heat up much quicker than usual.

Am I missing something - why would you not get your clippers back after a service until March? When I used to have my clippers serviced it would take around 5 to 7 days maximum.