Overly conservative rehab programme?

redapple

Visit site
A horse I ride but do not own has been having intermittent lameness for 6-9months as documented in another thread. I thought that she might have something going on with the foot - I was thinking it might be linked to laminitis as she also showed signs of being footsore. Whatever the cause I was very worried about her. I'm oddly attached to this one, she's just my kind of horse.

Anyway, long story short persuaded owners to get the vet out. Nerve blocked and X-rayed. Foot very balanced no rotation however moderate arthritis and ringbone. Injected anesthetic into coffin joint, unfortunately, no relief and still very lame and unhappy - maybe 4/5 lame.

So vet confident soft tissue injury. No MRI. Vet prognosis not very promising but obviously cautious because of the lack of MRI. Offered two options - MRI and decide if catastrophic injury or rehab as soft tissue injury and see.

So we've been rehabbing for a few weeks while owners decide what they want to do longterm. However having been part of a few rehab programmes before this one seems very conservative:

Month 1 - 5 mins hand-walking twice a day.
Month 2-3 - Either turn out on small hard standing or carry on hand walking 5 mins twice a day
Month 4-5 - Turn out in a small flat paddock and walk 10 mins twice a day.
Assess at 4-5 month stage.

I'm more used to being tack walking at month 3 having progressed to at least 20 minutes hand walking in that time. But my experience is mainly ddft injuries with known levels of damage (neitherOb of which are in ridden work...).

Obviously they may choose to pts but if they do rehab I'd like to make sure she gets the best chance possible. Just wondering whether to question programme.

be positive

Visit site
If the horse is 4/5 lame then it is going to be a very slow drawn out rehab when you really have no idea of how bad the injury is, if the DDFT is badly damaged then it may all be in vain anyway and you also have to consider that it has been going on for some time, I think you will be looking at a 12 month rehab and things will only start to speed up if and when it comes sound, you cannot ride a lame horse so if they decide to continue rather than pts it will be a very slow progress that has to be done at the speed the horse is improving, or not if the injury is too far gone.