Overnight at Keysoe

abbijay

Visit site
My beloved Big Pony has qualified for the Draught horse champs at Keysoe this year but it's a long way from home so I'm hoping a few of the local HHO'ers or people who have been before might be able answer a couple of questions for me?
How big are the show stables? Are they likely to be 10x10 or 12x12 (Big Pony is an 18.1hh pure clydesdale so I doubt he'll fit in a 10x10)
Are the championship tests likely to be indoors or outdoors?
Are there any handy local B&Bs or cheap hotels in the area that anyone can recommend? We're coming in the trailer and my poor 60-something dad won't appreciate being asked to camp on the floor of that!
Anything else that might be useful to know? (We've been to camp before but never a stay away show, nor any kind of dressage champs)

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve stayed for camp in the stables over the road which is where folks tend to stay for shows. Stables seeemd fairly standard, not massive so probably 12x12 max. There are some bnb’s around 10 mins drive - keysoe have a list on their website. I’ve stayed in a few and last time got one through Airbnb at the nearby golf course which was fine and managed to park my 3.5t there!

ihatework

Visit site
Championship stuff is generally all outside, huge outdoor and they can run 3-4 20 x 60 arenas in parallel.

Stabling there is/was some permenant, standard 12x12, then an over flow into not particularly nice temporary.

It’s very close to suburbia so you are bound to find accommodation

Mucking out - still

Visit site
Can thoroughly recommend Carole Turner at Chasers for overnight stays. We were liveries there until recently and saw loads of Keysoe competitors using her for overnighting. She's popular and you'll need to get in quick. Plenty of space for your lorry if you need it and she sometimes accepts people boarding the horse there too if you want paddock turnout. The stables are lovely - don't know if she'd be willing for you to use one, but worth an ask. Here's the site: https://www.chasersonline.com/ Wherever you end up, have a lovely time

TGM

Visit site
We stayed at Keysoe on Thursday night and although I didn't measure it, I'm sure the show stable our horse was in (in the main barn close to the road) wasn't as big as 12 x 12. Our stables at home are 12 x 12 and this definitely seemed quite a bit smaller. Fine for our 16 hh for one night but would think an 18 hh would find it a bit of a squish!

I'd also suggest following the directions on the Keysoe website rather than following satnav if you want to avoid going round a maze of single track winding lanes!

Last edited:

CoachinaCar

Visit site
Contact them and tell them you have an 18 hander and could you have one of the bigger stables, they do have some bigger ones in the livery barn I think so might let you in there although I would think on that weekend for those champs there will be quite a few biggies going.

abbijay

Visit site
Thanks CoachinaCar, I will speak to them. Of course there'll be extra big boys and girls so I'm not expecting the moon on a stick but I'd hope my boy will be entitled to more space than a 14hh haffy or a 16.1 ID or Cleveland bay if it's available!

Lollysmum

Visit site
Our big lad (18hh KWPN) has stayed comfortably at Keysoe on several occassions both in the main barn and in the stables on the outside on either side of it. Might not be what you would want for every night of the week, but they are ok for a stop over. Good luck, hope you have a great time!