Overnight stabling nr Cheltenham & B&B - ideas please

Angelbones

Visit site
Hi everyone, just hoping I can pick your brains?

I have a horse competing at Cheltenham racecourse in a RoR class on Sunday 18th November but due to the length of the journey I really need to go up the day before so need to find stabling for the Saturday night, for the (v big) horse and his travelling companion, and then somewhere to stay overnight for 3 of us, pref close by. We'll be using a trailer so I'll need to unhitch somewhere if I need to go back and forth to the horses from the B&B.

I've googled and have only really found one possible which is an international horse transport firm which for some reason makes me antsy :confused: There may well be stabling on the course but that may blow the brains of the ex racer and they may not be keen on having a 12hh pony along too?

So if any of you live up that way and could suggest anything suitable, please let me know.

Many thanks folks :)

mole

Visit site
my first port of call would be the racecourse itself. they have stables and as for your wee companion - if you are paying for a stable then what do they care what you put in it?

if they are too expensive or cannot accomodate your needs then im sure they will have a list of local yards available to rent out 2 stables for a night.

good luck!

Angelbones

Visit site
my first port of call would be the racecourse itself. they have stables and as for your wee companion - if you are paying for a stable then what do they care what you put in it?

if they are too expensive or cannot accomodate your needs then im sure they will have a list of local yards available to rent out 2 stables for a night.

good luck!

Many thanks Mole, I've emailed them as no info on their website that I can see, so will see what they come up with. :)

Fun Foals

Visit site
Hi abbey dressage might be worth a try, its only about a 10min drive away. and there are plenty of b&bs in tewkesbury which are about 10mins from abby dressage.
If you are on facebook search for the group Gloucestershire horse riders they should be able to help.
There are alot of yards within 10/15mins of the race course its just finding one with a couple of empty spaces.
Good luck any way im hoping to get there to see it.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Visit site
Don't discount the racecourse when I was still in pony club we had our camp there and none of the ex racers that went got antsy even when we had a gallop up the gallops and jumped the steeplechase fences.

Failing that I know summerhouse equestrian centre do temporary stabling and so do hartpury college. Summerhouse is about 20mins away from the racecourse staright down the motorway and hartpury probably about 30mins.

I know a tonne of yards more local but are all full to capacity so not sure if they'd have room for a one nighter, but will keep an eye out. :)

Starzaan

Visit site
All the yards I know round there are, as Kokopelli said, full to capacity, but definitely ring the racecourse. They're lovely and horses do settle well there. You could even try the RDA - Cotswold Group- which is on the racecouse. They only have one loosebox, but they do have a little paddock near to it.

As for B&B, my aunt's is BEAUTIFUL - she took the building on last year and rennovated it. Ask for Annie and say that Robyn told you you needed to stay there. Dogs are welcome too! http://www.thelionwinchcombe.co.uk/

Kokopelli

Visit site
Bit of a long one but I have a feeling that Home Farm EC may have spaces, not sure they'd do an overnight but are very friendly and literally 5mins from racecourse. Probably worth giving gary a ring. :)

UnaB

Visit site
Don't discount the racecourse when I was still in pony club we had our camp there and none of the ex racers that went got antsy even when we had a gallop up the gallops and jumped the steeplechase fences.

Failing that I know summerhouse equestrian centre do temporary stabling and so do hartpury college. Summerhouse is about 20mins away from the racecourse staright down the motorway and hartpury probably about 30mins.

I know a tonne of yards more local but are all full to capacity so not sure if they'd have room for a one nighter, but will keep an eye out. :)

Oooh, I went to the PC camp on the racecourse too :D

Hope you find a suitable yard OP. There is a yard very close to the Racecourse (Kayte Farm) that it may be worth you contacting as they had spaces when I enquired a while back. My horses are pretty close to the racecourse too (about 5 min drive) but sadly I dont have stables there otherwise you'd have been welcome to borrow one!

HardySoul1

Visit site
Racecourse will more than likely need both the horse and pony to have complete flu jabs as Jockey Club rules so if u go there double check ur certificates. I don't live locally but we kept ours at friendly yard for a holiday weekend in Wood Stanway. There is b& b short drive away. Or big yard Jill something in beautiful village of Stanton. She does b& b I think but also fabulous one room b& b at old post office in same village. Sorry no idea about vacancies.

Magister

Visit site
Pressed wrong button!. They do stabling and B&B i *think* for their BE horse trials so may have facilities to be able to help

Flummoxed

Visit site
Racecourse will more than likely need both the horse and pony to have complete flu jabs as Jockey Club rules so if u go there double check ur certificates. I don't live locally but we kept ours at friendly yard for a holiday weekend in Wood Stanway. There is b& b short drive away. Or big yard Jill something in beautiful village of Stanton. She does b& b I think but also fabulous one room b& b at old post office in same village. Sorry no idea about vacancies.

www.woodstanway.co.uk

And Jill Carenza. www.cotswoldsriding.co.uk

Last edited: