Overtaking in the go-round?

Pippity

Visit site
Last time I took Blue out showing, we got stuck behind a small pony with an incredibly slow trot. It was making it impossible to show off Blue's trot - hell, it was hard to even keep her trotting - so I gave the pony's rider a quick, "Coming past," and overtook.

The steward made a bit of a snotty comment in a semi-jokimg tone (that middle-aged man semi-joking where you can't tell if they mean it), and I've been pondering ever since if I committed some terrible faux-pas!

Pippity

Visit site
it's usual to circle away/cross the ring to find some space rather than go past someone (probably more so if it's a kid on a pony). But it depends on the class, welsh cobs can get a bit free for all 😂
I cut the corner, rather than just zooming past on the straight, so sort of crossing the ring? And the pony didn't even twitch an ear, so I didn't leave a catastrophe in my wake!

Hallo2012

Visit site
apart from over taking in front of the judge, anything goes in showing.....my B will be out showing this year and i am fully expecting to be rammed from all sides.......

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
apart from over taking in front of the judge, anything goes in showing.....my B will be out showing this year and i am fully expecting to be rammed from all sides.......

Another reason why I gave up showing as my boy doesn't like people coming up from behind him and I know people will do it deliberately to get a reaction out of him. I was deliberately rammed in a young stock class once when he was a foal and it's stuck with him and now anything that comes near his bum is toast.

I'll stick to everything else which in the long run will probably be tonnes more fun than the politics and face/weight/build fitting that is showing 🙄

humblepie

Visit site
Yes definitely no left to left in the warm up but lots of standing in the warm up whilst horse tidied up and walking in pairs whilst chatting. Elbows out 😀. There is a huge art to getting your horse seen by the judge and it’s one I’m still developing.

honetpot

Visit site
You have to be ring aware so you turn a circle left, well it could be more of a loop, and make it so you come behind where you want to slot in so you have space on your own. Usually the group go round has a set format, so you need space for change the rein when you should get the judges full gaze, and space for the gallop. Watching the stewards gives you an idea what is going to happan next.

lucy_108

Visit site
Never in front of the judge but I’ve overtaken many times. I will always try and circle away if possible but sometimes that just isn’t doable in a busy ring. A big corner cut can also help with a subtle overtake!