Owner wants to sell horse! :(

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Ive just recieved a text of the owner of my loan horse that she wants to sell him.

Shes offered him to me at £900 including very good quality tack and rugs! and I can afford it.

Heres the problem though... hes 17 next month and hes had a previous tendon injury when he was younger but nothing ever since. I just scared incase I say yes something bads going to happen (because everything bad does happen to me!) and if I say no hes gonna go to some numpty.

ARGHHHH what do I do :((

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thats a very fair price, and you're getting something that you know for that too.. You could have him vetted or have a chat generally with your vet. TBH that injury hasn't reared its head in years, so isn't something that worrying. His age is not old, but you would probably have him for life...

The real question is DO YOU WANT TO BUY HIM or are you only thinking about it as you're worried where he would end up? Surely the owner would find a good home for him anyway?

DuckToller

Visit site
Tack is probably worth £500 if the saddle is good - say £350 if you were to sell on the saddle, £50 bridle, rugs £30 each.

So the horse is going to cost you £400 - bargain for something you know and trust. If he is still sound at 17 then he will probably stay sound for a good few years yet.

You could buy a youngster and it could develop navicular within a year - that has happened to 3 of my friends.

Don't worry about what might happen - if the tendon injury was years ago, then it won't reoccur now. I have two with old tendon injuries, never had a problem since they healed. One is 20 (injured at 13) one is 22 (injured at 15).

If you like the horse, buy him.

JGC

Visit site
Tack is probably worth £500 if the saddle is good - say £350 if you were to sell on the saddle, £50 bridle, rugs £30 each.

So the horse is going to cost you £400 - bargain for something you know and trust. If he is still sound at 17 then he will probably stay sound for a good few years yet.

You could buy a youngster and it could develop navicular within a year - that has happened to 3 of my friends.

Don't worry about what might happen - if the tendon injury was years ago, then it won't reoccur now. I have two with old tendon injuries, never had a problem since they healed. One is 20 (injured at 13) one is 22 (injured at 15).

If you like the horse, buy him.

^^^^Exactly this. I have a friend who bought a three year old last November from a very reputable dealer and a five-stage vetting and has just had to send him back because he's got arthritis in his shoulder. There are no guarantees at any age, but the fact that he's sound and in work at 17 is a very good sign.

ghostie

Visit site
If you like him and can afford him then buy him! You know what you are getting and if you bought another horse it would be a gamble and it may well have old injuries that don't show on the vetting that come back to haunt you.

Capriole

Visit site
buy him if you actually want to own him, dont feel pressured to buy an old horse with past tendon injuries though because you think if you dont a numpty will buy him. Why is the option you or a numpty, though, I dont get it. He might get the best owner and home ever and be very happy :)

Think about what you want very carefully, and walk away or buy :)

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Well Im going to have to have a serious think about it.

Going to have a word with the vet who is up at our yard anyhow and see what she thinks, she did all his scans and x-rays on his tendons and the owner said it were about 9 year ago when he did them, and all he was doing was being a clown in the feild.

My heart says yes!

I was going to save up and get a 6/7 year old in a few years time, but I could always do that when I progress more in my riding.

Hes been there done the lot, he was bred for show jumping and has done allot, im currently learning to jump and hes brought my convidence on loads.

Going to have some words with my other horsey friend on saturday and see what she says.

Thankyou :D

Natz88

Visit site
Agree with what everyone else has said. What you have to think, is you could buy something tomorrow clean legs pass a vetting, get it home & it could take a kick or have injury in the field. All horses are a risk, so why not take a risk with a horse you already have & know.

Let us know what you decide :)

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
417761_10150578251677686_720757685_9212663_1099217471_n.jpg

this is him :D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Get him bought! He sounds perfect for you at the moment, and you can save up for another at the same time... I wouldn't worry about an injury from nine years ago that has thrown up no problems since..

kelly_s1

Visit site
I think you should go for it :D

He looks like a cutie, wouldn't worry about the age, my boy shares a field with a 25 year old (doesn't know exact age) and he gets ridden 2-3 times a week, loves a good canter round the field and pops the odd jump when out hacking

Good luck :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
He looks lovely :)

My only caution might be that if you are buying him at 17 then you are maybe taking responsibility for the rest of his days depending on what happens. Oldies can always be sold obviously but it isn't the same as passing on a 10 yo.

Nannon

Visit site
Aww he looks lovely! Sounds great :) if I was you I'd buy him :) my big fella is 19 and I'm bringing him back into work to compete this summer so age is no problem :) x

1Lucie

Visit site
I was in eactly same position as you last year. I couldnt decide what to do but my horse had scared me a few times and i decided it wasnt right. He was sold (to a lovely home) and i absolutly sobbed my heart out for days :-(.

But i have purchased my own horse now and i know it was the right thing to do. I still miss him everyday but he wasnt right.

Ask yourself this question...... is he what i want? What you really want? If he is then i would get a vet out for vetting and discuss his old injury.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ive just recieved a text of the owner of my loan horse that she wants to sell him.

Shes offered him to me at £900 including very good quality tack and rugs! and I can afford it.

Heres the problem though... hes 17 next month and hes had a previous tendon injury when he was younger but nothing ever since. I just scared incase I say yes something bads going to happen (because everything bad does happen to me!) and if I say no hes gonna go to some numpty.

ARGHHHH what do I do :((

How long have you had him on loan for?

If the horse has been sound since you've had him, and he ticks every box I'd buy him.

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
Going to have some words with my other horsey friend on saturday and see what she says.

you can speak to every horsey person in the world about what they would think, but it's a decision only you can make. From reading your other replies in this, it sounds like he is perfect for you. 17 isn't old in my opinion (I have a 26yr old who still thinks he's 6) If he hasnt had any problems after his tendon injury and has been sound for a while, then I, personally, wouldn't think twice about it :)

Umbongo

Visit site
BUY HIM, he looks absolutely gorgeous. If you know exactly what you are getting and sounds like he could really build up your confidence then I would consider it, but only if you want to actually own him and not because you are just worried where he could end up. You could still save up for a youngster in the meantime. As other have said, you could get a youngster who could develop something like navicular or end up shattering your confidence.

17 isn't old, I was still competing a 23 year old regularly a couple of years ago!

A year ago I passed up an opportunity to take on my lovely loan mare (mainly because I was unemployed at the time). She was 16 years old and very marish...but I felt so safe on her despite her being a nightmare to jump (something I could have worked on and did make some progress a few months in the loan). I still regret it :(

Last edited:

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
It took us a long time to find the right horse for OH and a lot of wasted viewings so if you've got a horse your happy with at a fair price i'd snap their hand off! :)

CBFan

Visit site
If the horse is right for you (be honest with yourself) and has had no soundness issues since you've had him, I wouldn't let his age put you off.

He sounds, and looks lovely.

I have a friend who bought her last horse aged 17... she lost him last year aged 30 due to an accident in the field but had been riding him and having fun with him until the day he died. If you outgrow him confidence or ability wise and want something else you can always loan him out :)

I know of umpteen horses still active in their late 20s and early 30s... but horses are like a box chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am assuming this will be the first horse you have owned if so it will great to have experiances with a horse you know and trust .
The price seems more than fair .
But you need to think though what you do when he can no longer be worked that may be in many years but it may not be.
You need to also think about how you would deal with the situation where he has taught you to jump and you are wanting to do more just when he wants to slow down.
I would not worry about the tendon injury if it's giving him no trouble it's unlikely to do so unless you drasticly increase his work load .
I would advise that you have a vet look at him before purchase and at the very least have his eyesight and heart checked . I would also look into the insurance situation with an older horse I don't insure mine so can't advise, if you don't or can't insure him for vets fees you will need to get third party insurance .

indie999

Visit site
Well Im going to have to have a serious think about it.

Going to have a word with the vet who is up at our yard anyhow and see what she thinks, she did all his scans and x-rays on his tendons and the owner said it were about 9 year ago when he did them, and all he was doing was being a clown in the feild.

My heart says yes!

I was going to save up and get a 6/7 year old in a few years time, but I could always do that when I progress more in my riding.

Hes been there done the lot, he was bred for show jumping and has done allot, im currently learning to jump and hes brought my convidence on loads.

Thankyou :D
I would snap him up as finding a good one is very hard & lots of people make the mistake of buying a youngster thinking its going to last longer and it doesnt necessarily go that way and then they find out what a handful a youngster could be. If you like the horse and know it so well buy. Anyone could sell you a horse with a problem. Good luck, nice they gave you first refusal too