Owners with horse's out on loan

jackbox

Visit site
can i ask the people that have horses out on loan, how much contact do you keep with your loaner?

i don't know if i'm expecting too much from my loaner and i'm being a bit over bearing. but i'm getting a bit frustrated with my loaner as she doesn't give me much information, The girl that loans my mare has just turned 18 and it's not that local about an hour/hour and half away. so i can't just pop round.

There's been a few problems with the loan and Just before Christmas there was a problem with her hoof and the vets had to do a lot of investigating including a MRI scan which turned out to be a abscess deep in her hoof. Anyway i kept in contact with them (the mum) by phone during that time,

but now when i message her to ask how she is doing i just get a reply saying "all is ok" or "everything is good" but nothing more and the other day after receiving that, I asked 3 specific questions to get more information and she just replied "yes, everything is fine"
so i got a bit upset and asked if she could give me more information then everything is fine or i asked if it would be better to talk to her mum to find out more. in which she replied a short sentence to my questions. i then went on to ask if i could make a date in march to come see her. which she replied she'd check and see what date we both can do.

i have no dought that they are looking after her well and i know the girl has formed a bond with her, but when they agreed to take her on it was with the understanding they keep me updated on her especially as they are so far away.

so my question is am i being to much? i normally ask for an update every month or so (she's been out on loan for about 6-7 months) but seeing as she had the abscess i wanted to know how she was getting on and healing. so pushed for more information. How often do you hear from your loaners?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have FLF on a borrow, i send an email on the 1st Sunday of each month to her owner detailing what we have been up to , sometimes with the odd photo. Owner is 25 miles away and about 50 mins by horsebox.
Her owner isn't on faceache so we decided this is the best way.
If there is anything exciting or a possible problem, i phone her to let her know.

I think you need to pop over to make an unannounced visit to allay your fears and then ask for regular updates x

be positive

Visit site
An hour or so is not that far away, you are obviously concerned so just get in the car and go, you can tell them you are on your way just as you leave and don't get fobbed off with excuses as to why you cannot pop in, there is no need to make a big deal about it unless there is a problem but until you see her for yourself you will be worrying, probably needlessly, you can be there and back within 4 hours.

SuperH

Visit site
My old boy was out on loan for nearly 10 years. I saw him once a year ish for about half of that time as he was about 2.5 hours away (I moved away from him rather than him going out on loan a long way away). I got Christmas cards from him but that was about all. I am facebook friends with his loaner so did see the odd photo and comment on there. She made all the vet decisions for him, including when she thought he was not doing so well she came to us and said she was going to have him pts. I totally trust her judgement and I know she loved him as much as I did.

I think it depends how much you trust this person, did you know them prior to the loan? I already knew my loaner and originally I only lived a couple of miles away and I use to drive past his field and could see he was fine without having to go and arrange to visit with her so that made it much easier when I moved away as the loan was already well established.

Is yours going to be a long term loan? I knew mine would most likely live out his days with his loaner and I was happy to see him being loved and pampered in what went on to be his retirement.

jackbox

Visit site
thanks for the replies guys. yes its a long term loan,
I'm not so worried about her Wellbeing as i know there looking after her well and i have already visited her in November to check all was how it should be, and i'll defiantly be going again in March.
but I'm upset with the amount of information there passing on about her and was wondering if i was expecting too much? i mean i have no idea how her foot has healed, when her special boot came off and like i say when i ask i just get a "everything fine" I'm just getting frustrated and want to know more, I will be bringing it up when i see them in person but just wanted to check i'm not overreacting.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would hop in the car and go and see the horse, even if she does not know, depending on if he is in a public type yard. Or, maybe say I am doing X nearby, and will call in in 15 minutes? I suppose it depends on what your agreement says.

I have been contemplating having Jay on a retirement type grass livery for the summer (as his best hope to recover from suspensory injury now the proper rest has been done) and one of the stipulations if he were to be a long way from home would be a side on, stripped off shot, on which I could also see his feet, every week to start, and when I was happy once a month. Either that, or a video.

I had a horse given to me, and kept the old owner updated twice a week or so, with general chit chat, and whatever photos I happened to take. It was so nice to have the horse that sharing enhanced the experience and was not a bother at all.

Luci07

Visit site
Loaner is 18... So prob thinks you are being a pain...but tough, this is a loan!

Speak to the mother. Teenager prob thinks she is being very communicative...

zaminda

Visit site
I put my pony out on loan several times. The most recent was to a family, and he was for the youngest daughter, who was about 10 when they got him. I went to Australia for 10 months, in this time I got regular emails from the young girl, complete with pictures, as she was then too young for facebook. Considering her age, I was amazed at how good she was at letting me know how he was, and what was happening. The only time I have had communication problems with loaners, is when things haven't been quite right. Personally I would talk to the mother.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I have one of mine on loan with a nice lady who lives about an hour away from me. The loan started in October and I went for my first visit at the beginning of this month. I do have her on Facebook though so get to see updates about her on there.

Clannad48

Visit site
When we had our pony out on loan,to someone I knew very well and trusted implicitly, we still used the BHS loan agreement and added to it little details that we both agreed on. I used to go and visit as and when I wanted, although the pony was less than five miles

If I had loaned to someone I didn't know well I would have been visiting at least monthly with the occasional no notice visit (you could always add this to the contract) until I was satisfied about the care and wellbeing.

To be honest expecting a long response from an 18 year old via text is rarely going to happen, maybe a phone call would be better. It may be that the loanee is worried about you taking the horse away if she admits to any small issues.

pixie

Visit site
Any chance you could contact the yard owner to find out how horse is?

Slightly different situation, but one of my liveries had sharers. The old ones were no problem at all. There were a few niggles with a new sharer that I knew the owner wouldn't be happy with, so I mentioned them to her. Ultimately, its about the horse being happy and healthy.

mirage

Visit site
I've loaned quite a few ponies,and will be putting my own pony out on loan next week. I've kept in touch with their owners via Facebook and always let them know what we are up to and where we are going. I always ring or text if there are any health issues at all. They also know that they are free to come and see their ponies at any time,without letting me know in advance.

ihatework

Visit site
OP I wouldn't be happy with the communication either. But I have to ask have you actually picked up the phone and chatted things through? Maybe that would help to ease your concerns?
I've got one out on loan, and although we don't speak by phone I get proper updates by email/text at an appropriate frequency. I actually don't see him that often now, visits have probably pushed out to 6 monthly, but it's because I see pictures and get the info I need to be assured I don't need to step in.

w1bbler

Visit site
Ive had a horse on loan since September. Owner visited the first month to make sure he had settled. I didn't hear from her again until 2 weeks ago ( but I did send a long email reply with pics)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Get yourself over there asap for a visit, with or without prior notice. Don't faff around waiting for a 'mutually convenient time'.

I nearly lost a mare who was neglected by a loaner who seemed great for the first year. I stopped visiting as frequently, then the neglect happened. She was hours from death by dehydration when we got to her.

No responsible person loaning a horse will mind visits from the owner without prior notice. Then you can remind her about the necessity of regular updates.

Charlie007

Visit site
I have loaned out a couple over the years and have always kept in regular contact. I wouldn't accept all is fine as an answer. As others have said pay an unannounced visit to put your mind at rest.

JillA

Visit site
I have had several out on loan (rescues) and did an initial and then twice yearly checks. If it was too far away to get there comfortably I would either schedule it when I was that way over, or find someone local who would do it on my behalf. Is that possible? Just to check horse is well and settled, environment has all that could be required etc and have a chat with loanee. YO? Most knowledgeable YOs would prefer to have that safety net than stand by and see a horse in trouble, however minor. Checks are part of the conditions of the loan - have you got a loan agreement and does it make provision for regular checks?

Evie91

Visit site
Loaned my old girl for nine years until she was gifted to me. Owner visited when she first moved, then when I moved yards, then when horse had a spell in hospital. Apart from that I would send a Christmas card with update and the we'd text each other the odd time - that was it.
Loan worked very well for all involved. When horse was PTS I text owner beforehand - even though by this point the horse was mine.

Orca

Visit site
I've never loaned but I give Orca's previous owners more info and with more regularity than you're receiving from your loaner.

If the teen is having communication issues (is she shy or feeling awkward?) then make the mother your point of contact, if possible.

Katastrophy

Visit site
My gingernut is on loan to a good friend, she's had him for nearly three years and he's in the stable next to my boy! We share turnout and get in/muck out/general care of them both and I wouldn't have it any other way. I had a mare sent back with a cracked cannon bone and other huge injuries without my knowledge (very long story- I was away from home when she called my dad to collect the mare!) and we lost her less than a week later after trying to stabilise all of her injuries. If I own them, they rarely ever leave my yard now!

Michen

Visit site
I worry about bombarding my horses owner too much Lol! I message her every two weeks As a minimum sometimes more. This usually includes photos, videos and a longish email. Not that I expect her to reply but I inow she loves hearing about him as she went through hell and back with the horse and is delighted he is doing well. Plus it's nice to have someone who cares about him for me to bang on about him too lol!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I worry about bombarding my horses owner too much Lol! I message her every two weeks As a minimum sometimes more. This usually includes photos, videos and a longish email. Not that I expect her to reply but I inow she loves hearing about him as she went through hell and back with the horse and is delighted he is doing well. Plus it's nice to have someone who cares about him for me to bang on about him too lol!

That was my attitude too when I had one on loan. I loved having an interested party to share trivia with and use as sounding board. We had a relationship based on trust and loving the horse. I've bought him now but still in touch and old owner still visits and sometimes rides.

Much harder loaning to a teenager. She may be threatened by your his tie with the horse and a generally poor communicator. I think asking for a monthly email or phone call might help. And building a relationship with yard owner and mother. But assuming horse is well looked after, I'd be very careful of seeming distrustful. I'd explain how much you love the horse and value hearing regular detailed updates and photos. If they've dealt well with the foot issue which sounds major, they sound like committed decent loaners. Don't damage the relationship. Try and explain and build a relationship where teenager wants to tell you about him as knows she's got a supportive audience who isn't theatening.

Princess16

Visit site
Maybe she is just shy and not very communicative on phone? I would call her mum explain your concerns and set a date within the next couple of weeks to visit. I think if you just turn up it could be seen as you 'checking' up and distrusting her IYKWIM and the fact that she loves your horse could jeapordise your relationship with what potentially is a good loan arrangement.

rowan666

Visit site
Get yourself over there asap for a visit, with or without prior notice. Don't faff around waiting for a 'mutually convenient time'.

I nearly lost a mare who was neglected by a loaner who seemed great for the first year. I stopped visiting as frequently, then the neglect happened. She was hours from death by dehydration when we got to her.

No responsible person loaning a horse will mind visits from the owner without prior notice. Then you can remind her about the necessity of regular updates.

This! Having bin through similar myself just last week I can't stress enough how much unanounced visits will reveal! I had my boy out on loan to a girl who sounds extremely similar to your loaner and trying to get any info was like pulling teeth, she neglected to tell me that she had a back person out because he had suddenly become "cold backed" which infact was total crap and if she had of told me instead of repeatedly saying everything's "fine" then I would have insisted he saw a vet because he was actually lame which is what caused the sore back but nobody seemed to notice this! and my poor boy was left to deteriorate and has also lost a lot of weight and I had to retrieve him without notice to her. If your loaner is not freely offering up information I would be very concerned that she's hiding something, most people (especially teenage girls) love letting everyone know how great things are going and how well the horse is doing, god I even keep my most of my horses previous owners updated about exciting or extra cheeky things they've done

Last edited:

Limbo1

Visit site
When I loaned my horse out I heard hardly anything, that was fine by me as had 2 very small children. After 1 year I went to see him to review loan, turned out they had moved him and got a sharer without telling me! I should have been annoyed but he looked so well - fit and enjoying life so I signed him over for £1.

We have a pony on loan, I spoke to owner when having problems for advice, then a few weeks later with an update. I don't send regular updates. There is an open invite to come and see him which has not been taken up. To be honest if I had an owner constantly asking how x is it would get annoying, I communicate when needed ie when there is an issue otherwise nothing.

Clodagh

Visit site
If it is a permanent loan you have really in all but name given her the horse. I assume you have phoned the girl and actually spoken to her? My eldest son is a sod for not returning texts but can speak on the phone, maybe it is an age thing.
If you are really worried you needd to go and see.
I have a youngster out on permanent loan and I get very few updates but I ac cept that I trust the girl and I know someone else on the yard.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have loaned twice in the past and I've always been happy to keep in touch with the owner as much as they want including being friends on FB so they could see what we were up to. Never had a problem with it as the horse still very much belonged to them and they had every right to keep checking up on us.

I think it does sound like this young lady feels she ought to be left alone to enjoy the horse and while we can probably all understand that, it's tough luck really. She chose to loan rather than buy so she has to accept that the owner is still very much part of the horse's life.

huskydamage

Visit site
I have never loaned but i knew someone who did and it was like the owner didn't exist until they wanted to sell horse.they had zero interest otherwise. If i loaned i personally wouldn't mind updating the owner with occasional emails and pics, but honestly i would get fed up with many texts and probably send similar quick responses.i wouldn't want to keep sending long text messages about stuff.but i get as the owner you want to know which is why loaning is probably not for me lol would you be ok with them agree to send you a monthly email or something? Otherwise no news is good news

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think it does sound like this young lady feels she ought to be left alone to enjoy the horse and while we can probably all understand that, it's tough luck really. She chose to loan rather than buy so she has to accept that the owner is still very much part of the horse's life.
Well put.

Several posters seem to be of the view 'Ah, bless, she's only a teenager' and that it is ok for her to offer minimal contact with the owners, even if the owner wants frequent updates.

The girl is nearly 18, fgs, not 13. I must be a terrible mother because I would have booted my teenagers up the jacksii for trying on similar behaviour.

I am currently fostering, and have had horses on loan before. I have always told the owners that they are welcome to pop in anytime to see their animals, why on earth wouldn't I unless I had something to hide? That, and I provide regular updates, which are so easy now via text, email and FB.

But then, my mare was loaned out to a teenager who lost interest and we found the mare shut in a stable, very thin, without water and near death.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Stay in touch? We just turn up lol. My boyfriends mare is out on loan. She is kept at a yard owned by a very good friend of ours so we go and see her whenever we feel like it.
Our attitude is if the girl loaning her is looking after her properly then it shouldn't be an issue, and if it is an issue then we will gladly have her back.