Owning a Livery Yard?

SuperSonik

Visit site
* Sorry its a long thread! *

So after looking for new houses in English Land, finding nothing I then decided to have a laugh with my bank account and look for equestrian property and after getting very disappointed that the most expensive place I could find was only 4m (I'll take two!) I had a search for places I could afford. I think I found the 'one':

3 bed terrace house (two rooms for family and one for a student)
Large lounge-diner
Newly fitted kitchen
Large bathroom
Huge enclosed garden with patio and pond

Now for the horsie bit:
5 brick stables (2 for my own ones and 3 for livery's)
Hay shed
Schooling pen
1 acre field with shelter and a further 2 acres from the rear of the house

It also has around 8 dog sheds and runs (brick) and could do with getting the doggie area paved. Its close to off-road hacking routes and E.C's that regularly hold comps. So how hard would it be to make the extra stalls into a small livery? And the dog sheds into a boarding thingy bobber? Would you guys board your animals on a small family run yard/dog boarding?

Might put info of the boarding down later?

Theocat

Visit site
I'd certainly choose a small set up for boarding a dog or a cat. It doesn't sound to me as if you have nearly enough land land to take on any liveries, though, and the lack of facilities means you will have to charge very cheap rates which is likely - once you take into account all your overheads - to make it impossible to break even.

Can you make it work without liveries?

booandellie

Visit site
sounds a great set up for yourself and maybe a couple of liveries but i don't think you have enough grazing to accomadate more liveries. I have 3and a half acres and have to manage it very carefully to ensure daily turnout for 5 horses/ponies. The dog boarding however sounds much more viable and will earn you a better income! good luck if you go ahead with it

SuperSonik

Visit site
I thought this. I could get it to work without liveries, I just had a bit of an idea for some company. I've been looking into renting a yard of my own just because I'm sick of the hassle of the yards I have been about. Now that I think about it, it would probably be more bothersome.