Owning horses whilst pregnant!

SNORKEY

Visit site
Hi, I'm only 7 weeks pregnant but I'm struggling already, I feel sick every time I bend down and I rode my horse for the first time today in a couple weeks and I just felt too nervous, he's not the most relaxing horse to ride as it is. I was just worried the whole time he was going to do something silly.
I'm going to advertise him for part loan and I'm still happy handling my youngster, but how did you mums cope through your pregnancys and the days you felt really ruff?

Natz88

Visit site
Oh it's horrible isn't it always feeling sick. Luckily my mum is horsey & we do them between us so when I was pregnant & having ruff days my mum done them & we also have a sharer that rides our boys. Like you say try advertising for a sharer or loaner. Hope you get it sorted & congratulatiosn on the pregnancy :)

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I am at week 33 now. First few weeks were realy bad with sickness so didnt do a lot. I managed to keep riding until about 25wks this time round but kept within my comfort zone. I am quite lucky because ours are at home. My girl is semi retired so its not the end of the world that she is not ridden. Also my eldest daughter is 20 and still lives at home so does a lot of the work when I feel delicate and has been riding my girl a couple of times a week whilst she is 'between' horses. The first weeks of pregnancy are awfull so dont panic too much. Part loan sounds good because even if you feel fine after the birth it is sometimes hard to get the time to ride as much as you would like. My main advise would be to listen to your body and only do what you feel comfortable with.

scrunchie

Visit site
Hi, I'm only 7 weeks pregnant but I'm struggling already, I feel sick every time I bend down and I rode my horse for the first time today in a couple weeks and I just felt too nervous, he's not the most relaxing horse to ride as it is. I was just worried the whole time he was going to do something silly.
I'm going to advertise him for part loan and I'm still happy handling my youngster, but how did you mums cope through your pregnancys and the days you felt really ruff?

Child labour! :D

I've got two teenagers that I bribe/blackmail into taking water over and feeding.

Luckily, my neds all live out so it's not too much hard work. Which is a good thing because I've had an awful pregnancy this time round. I've been as sick as a dog, had non stop heartburn, suffering pelvic girdle pain and my baby is breech and not showing any signs of turning round. I am due in 4 weeks. I've already slapped an eviction notice on this baby. I've had enough!

My other pregnancies were all so easy. :(

NeverSayNever

Visit site
just make life as easy as you can for yourself, the first 12 weeks are knackering., it does get better. Mine live out and are easy to do, which helps. If they hadnt been Id probably have had to enlist some help at some points. Im 32 weeks and am still riding gently and having flatwork lessons, when I felt really rough, which was for me around the 20 week mark, I just did the bare minimum and slept.Having a good winter helped a lot and it will be easier for you with it coming into summer and having lighter nights:)

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I was lucky in that I trusted my horse a lot and rode up until about 30 weeks when my hips gave out and I just couldn't do it anymore. That said, I hardly rode at all in the first three months as I was so exhausted all the time. I used to get back from work and cry with tiredness - was much worse than the sickness for me. The middle part of my pregnancy, I felt much better though and I did enjoy having the riding time. Towards the end, I struggled to even muck out as my back and hips were really painful and I moved him somewhere where he could live out 24/7.

Once my daughter was born, I ended up putting my pony out on loan because i just wanted to devote all my time to her. I got him back when she was 18months old.

I would say if you are struggling, start looking for a loan home. I'm so glad I put my boy out on loan, it gave me the chance to be totally guilt-free with my baby and not feel pulled in too many directions. He had a wonderful time and got lots of pony club experience.

Hells Bells

Visit site
Hello :)

I've had horses during both my pregnancies, and felt phenomenally ill throughout my second, but the first was fine.

my old welshie would have been 21/22 during my first pregnancy and i didnt even know i was pregnant till 14 weeks, so rode (and competed :rolleyes:) for those first months and just rode lightly till about 22/23 weeks then when it got too much I left him to have a few months off. he lived out at this point too, so it was relatively easy with the help of OH to keep him.

Second pregnancy was a nightmare, and put me off having anymore, and by this point i had two horses, Conker went on part loan and welshie other was mostly retired by this point but the loaner (is that the right word?) looked after him too, and took eldest daughter for the odd meander round the lanes on old boy..i was very lucky to have such good support from OH too, because there were multiple days when i couldnt face even getting out of the house.

Scrunchie you poor thing! My seond sounds much like yours is now, is this your third? Not too long to go now! x

Hells Bells

Visit site
just make life as easy as you can for yourself, the first 12 weeks are knackering., it does get better. Mine live out and are easy to do, which helps. If they hadnt been Id probably have had to enlist some help at some points. Im 32 weeks and am still riding gently and having flatwork lessons, when I felt really rough, which was for me around the 20 week mark, I just did the bare minimum and slept.Having a good winter helped a lot and it will be easier for you with it coming into summer and having lighter nights:)

Still riding!! I longed to ride that far into my first pregnancy but i looked and felt like a whale at 30 weeks. Best of luck with your next 8 weeks :) x

Littlelegs

Visit site
I was lucky in that I'd had mine since I was a child & trusted her, & a very easy pregnancy. I stopped jumping/ competing straight away, but otherwise carried on as usual till about 4 months

Littlelegs

Visit site
Phone hadn't finished! Carried on hacking till baby was born really. Last ride was a 1/2 hr hack day before labour. But was all off road hacking. Used to need frequent breaks mucking out in last few weeks, & had help shifting bales & feed sacks, but otherwise carried on as usual. Most important thing is to do what feels right for you, not what anyone else does.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Thanks for your replies ladies, I've got my horses on my neighbours land so very close to home and my mum has horses as well do she'l be able to help. I'm definitely going to put my horse on part loan though, I wish I could trust him but some days he's just too jumpy and wants to race home when on a hack. My hubby is good as well though and will help out.

heyemily

Visit site
I'm lucky that my parter does it when I'm not feeling so good. Since I met him about 10 years ago(!!) he has always been helpful with the horse. I've even managed to teach him to lunge him and he walked out the horse with the dogs the other day. :p I stopping riding my horse straight away as he is nappy and spins, so I didn't feel good doing it, so it has been hard!

cambrica

Visit site
Hopefully sickness will pass for you quickly. 2nd trimester you feel great and the fresh air does you the world of good but if you have help use it. I had my mum's help through my 3 pregnancies thankfully. Just take care, I remember leading my mare to the field, went to unclip the leading rein as she pulled away pulling me into the 5 bar gate. Scary and opened my eyes to the fact I was far more vulnerable and not to be complacent.

noblesteed

Visit site
I managed the horse by myself and rode gently up til 20 weeks when my back gave out and I developed pelvic pain. Through the sickness bit I just rode when I could, it was summer and horse was out 24 hours. I actually found riding took my mind off the sickness and made me feel a lot better. During that time I gave a colleague's daughter lessons on my horse once a week, and then once I stopped being able to ride she took over. My friend who share the stables with me has been a great help too and supervised the girl in my absence. She had to do most things with him when my pelvic pain got really bad - I couldn't walk at one point - but once I got to 7 months it eased off so I could do the horse a few days a week. The only things I can't do are lift water buckets and pick out feet!!!!
I am now 40 weeks and 5 days and have been vigorously mucking out and lunging horse to try and dislodge baby!!!!
Once baby comes I am hoping the girl will stay on and we can share my horse, though as I have SPD I am not to ride until 3 months after the birth. I was very surprised to discover how much I really miss spending time with him, and I am so glad I didn't send him away on loan or sell him. He has been so gentle with me, as has the other gelding at the farm, so I have never once felt as though I was in danger around them. I have had quite a stressful pregnancy and my horse has been a real help to me. I can't wait to get back to riding!!!!

Good luck to everyone with their bumps!!!!!

horsemad32

Visit site
I am 15 weeks and have turned away my youngster. She's not amazingly impressed with the idea but she'll cope lol. My other horse is steadier so still riding her. The sickness does ease around 14 weeks and things get more doable. I have to say I can't wait till they are both out for the summer as that will make things so much easier!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I'm 19 weeks pregnant, my mare has been out of work due to injury for some time so I'm just leaving her be, unless friends want to ride, until baby is born.

To be honest, I wish she hadn't have been injured, because riding would perk me up right now, we're smack bang in the middle of lambing and between not being able to ride and not being able to help I'm positively miserable!

Anyway, I have a friend, and old YO of mine, who pregnant with her first twins(!) carried on doing more or less everything. She was amazing!

I felt very sick for 12 weeks, now I'm fine unless something sets me off, my energy is coming back slowly - though I'm finding some movements set my belly aching (like laughing in bed... :eek:)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm 6 months pregnant and am still riding although I havent jumped since I found out I was pregnant as OH didnt want me to. Been doing dressage comps until now but TBH I dont think I'll do any more competitions now I've definately got a bump (purely because I think it looks horrid rather than anything else!). I've been "lucky" in that I do have times when I feel very sick but I AM then sick, so feel fine again after and its always when Im hungry so as long as I keep snacking, its fine. The only thing thats irritated me riding is my coxynx (past injury playing up now preggers). I've only been riding my own horse and my friends horse (who I rode all last summer) so I trust them. I wouldnt go and jump on a strange horse right now, too risky. I plan to stop quite soon just because the bump is getting so much bigger and I think it'll be difficult to get on and off, but then I plan to lunge regularly instead to keep the horses going. Otherwise, I'm still fine doing all the usual yard stuff - lifting feed bags, doing water buckets / haynets, grooming etc. Maybe when I get bigger I wont be able to do as much but pregnancy isnt a disability although some onlookers seem to think so ;) People say you'll feel way better in your 2nd trimester but not necessarily Im afraid, just depends! I've never felt "great" being pregnant, have been knackered for 6 months!

I think you just do whatever is comfortable for you. Everyone suffers different things during pregnancy so if you dont enjoy riding, dont!

catwithclaws

Visit site
i was hideously sick every day for about the first 17 weeks, luckily my horses were out 24/7 on my own private yard (not at home tho) so i could just sent hubby up there 2 check water :D

hubby immediately banned me from riding my ISH mare as she is pretty quirky and unpredictable, but i insisted on still being allowed to ride my old forester as i've known him years and trust him implicitly. the idea was to get part-loaners in for each of them however lost faith in this after the number of numpties that applied!

soon after this we moved back down south from gloucester and put the horses on a DIY yard. i was very lucky to come across the most amazing YM and YM's daughter ever who were extremely supportive no matter what. i was still up mucking out and filling haynets and water buckets until the day before i went into hospital. but any day where i was too tired or just didn't feel up to it, they were there to do whatever needed doing.

my daughter was up the yard within 24hrs of being born, everyone crowded round and had cuddles, and YM and daughter now babysit whenever i need a break, and YM treats her as one of her own :D

it can be done, u just have 2 know your limits, admit when you're struggling, and have the right kind of backup xxx

NeverSayNever

Visit site
I'm 6 months pregnant and am still riding although I havent jumped since I found out I was pregnant as OH didnt want me to. Been doing dressage comps until now but TBH I dont think I'll do any more competitions now I've definately got a bump (purely because I think it looks horrid rather than anything else!). I've been "lucky" in that I do have times when I feel very sick but I AM then sick, so feel fine again after and its always when Im hungry so as long as I keep snacking, its fine. The only thing thats irritated me riding is my coxynx (past injury playing up now preggers). I've only been riding my own horse and my friends horse (who I rode all last summer) so I trust them. I wouldnt go and jump on a strange horse right now, too risky. I plan to stop quite soon just because the bump is getting so much bigger and I think it'll be difficult to get on and off, but then I plan to lunge regularly instead to keep the horses going. Otherwise, I'm still fine doing all the usual yard stuff - lifting feed bags, doing water buckets / haynets, grooming etc. Maybe when I get bigger I wont be able to do as much but pregnancy isnt a disability although some onlookers seem to think so ;) People say you'll feel way better in your 2nd trimester but not necessarily Im afraid, just depends! I've never felt "great" being pregnant, have been knackered for 6 months!

I think you just do whatever is comfortable for you. Everyone suffers different things during pregnancy so if you dont enjoy riding, dont!

Im the same, stopped jumping altogether when I found out and recently stopped doing dressage comps as I feel a bit self conscious now. Im happy schooling in the field still and hacking out gently and just taking it a day at a time. Im 32 weeks and I did think Id be too big to ride now, but I still dont feel the bump on the pommel, my mare stands really well for me to get on from a biggish step and getting off I swing my leg over her neck just incase i bump the bump lol. I do get really hacked off with a lot of the negative comments you get for carrying on though - and the negative things people like to try and tell you when youre pregnant about how difficult things are bound to be after the baby comes:rolleyes: My MW has been totally supportive however. Like you, when I have to stop I plan to carry on lunging and doing as much as I can.... despite those who seem to want to tell me how debilitated Im bound to be and unable to move off the sofa;):rolleyes: I know some poor ladies are, Ive a couple of friends who had terrible pelvic pain and were crippled from about 20 weeks, Im so grateful Ive been lucky so far. One thing I have done,is arrange a freelance groom who is able to come and see to my horses as and when the need should arise. Who knows how things will be when the baby arrives, but its good to have a plan in place for support if you need it. As you say, being pregnant isnt a disability but its taught me how important it is not to judge others, everyone's pregnancy experience is different and you just have to go with what feels right for you and prepare to don a tin hat because whatever decisions you make, someone is bound to feel they have to share their opinions:rolleyes::D

Good luck to all the bumps :D

Last edited:

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
I've never been pregnant myself but helped out my friend with her horse each time she was pregnant with her two boys. With her first pregnancy her midwife told her that if she wanted to ride then that was ok for as long as she felt comfy but that she wouldn't have advised a non rider to take it up when they were pregnant and no fast work or jumping. She only rode for a short time though and then from the minute she found she was pregnant with baby number 2 she didn't ride at all.

I did well out of it as I had her horse to myself for a year each time and she wanted to be doing things around him so wouldn't let me muck out until I got worried that she was still doing it and asked her to please leave the heavy stuff to me!

SNORKEY

Visit site
Wow many horsey mums and mums to be! I rode my boy out this morning he was great on the way out and was like a plod but on the way home he done his usual and got faster and faster! Wasn't the most relaxing ride but I felt a bit safer today. I will have to put him on part loan soon though.