Oww my head

ArklePig

Visit site
I'm just out of. A&E. I fell off on Thursday and have been a bit off since - I rang the out of hours doctor today who basically told me I was a massive eejit and get myself to the Royal for a neuro exam. Well, I'm definitely concussed but nothing scary on the scan.

Dear readers, I told the doctor and nurses I fell off my horse. This was in fact, a lie, I fell while trying to MOUNT my horse, but I felt like they didn't need the specifics. Please make me feel better by telling me that you've done or heard worse? Think my pride hurts more than my head.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Whoops! I'm still giggling the doc called you a "massive eejit" :D:D:D it's ok, I am one of those too.

I once slipped underneath my horse trying to mount from a hedgebank. I walked the rest of the way home as butt too muddy to actually sit in my brand new saddle. Whenever I fall off (countless times) I always end up on my arse, in mud.

scats

Visit site
I caused hilarity once when we were rescuing a horse who had slipped over on some ice. In the process of kicking the wet straw about around this animal, I did a comedy legs up in the air and ended up flat on my back next to this horse. Fortunately we both got up ok... but my wrist felt a bit weird. I was the butt of the jokes all day long (it was really funny, in all fairness) but 24 hours later my nurse friend told me to go and get my wrist x-rayed and I’d broken my scaphoid and taken the end of one of the long arm bones off.
I made everyone feel very guilty then for laughing at me!

ArklePig

Visit site
These are brilliant ? Scats, I broke my scaphoid in school and honestly so so sore you poor thing. I'm a big fan of the horse just looking at the lady who broke her arm.

Jack sauntered off cause i think I spooked him with an almighty thud that I made. ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ouch! Hope you feel better soon Arcklepig!
I’ve literally just watched a clip on fb of a lady who’s stopped at a feed shop to order shavings (on her horse) tried to get back on and fell straight over the other side ? caught on shop cctv

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I fell off fiddling to adjust my helmet, it was new and I fumbled it and I didn't want to drop it on the floor and ended up dropped myself instead and broke both wrist bones......

I hope your head's better soon!

maya2008

Visit site
My husband fell off while attempting to mount - mounting block went underneath him, he ended up underneath the horse - who just looked at him. He has also fallen off at a standstill before while adjusting stirrups!

I dislocated my thumb three weeks after having my daughter - cantering bareback. Horse bucked, I put my hand down to save myself and popped my thumb out. I told the ladies at A and E that I had stubbed it on my horse’s neck when she spooked -true, just didn’t mention I had been on her at the time!

Annagain

Visit site
My old Welshie used to walk off as you were getting on. I perfected the jump a bit forward so you go with him technique. One day he went backwards and I threw myself right over his neck and off the other side.

I have also managed to tear my calf muscle trotting a horse up for the vet. That was about 6 years ago and he still checks I'm ok to run every time I go there.

Surbie

Visit site
Have fallen off twice when trying to get on - once my own fault for not checking the girth and he'd sucked his tummy in. The other time the sun came out, he saw a shadow and spooked. Wally.

Hope you are less ouchy soon.

I was stewarding at a dressage compy and someone's horse casually stepped to the side while they were getting on. 2 broken ribs and a broken wrist.

Skib

sites.google.com
You were wrong not to supply the correct details to A&E. The height from which one falls and the speed at which the horse is moving both affect the impact on your head.
I have experience of A&E dealing with head injuries. And the details affect the speed of triage. and also the assessment. My only serious riding injury was a blow to my head - from canter onto tarmac. Head injuries can be unpredictable and I did not go to A&E till two days later.

Pedantic

Visit site
I fell off as just getting on, we were on the other side of farm gate, had to put foot on fence as no mounting block at the time, bloody big noise from other side of the neighbors fence spooked my Po, I landed flat on my back looking like a dying fly LOL

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I broke a rib when I fell trotting a pony out in an inhand showing class.
My saddle spun round and dumped me in the mud in front of a load of walkers while I was reaching down for the catch to open a gate.
This week I am sporting a good set of bruises because my pony spooked and fell over ?

ArklePig

Visit site
You were wrong not to supply the correct details to A&E. The height from which one falls and the speed at which the horse is moving both affect the impact on your head.
I have experience of A&E dealing with head injuries. And the details affect the speed of triage. and also the assessment. My only serious riding injury was a blow to my head - from canter onto tarmac. Head injuries can be unpredictable and I did not go to A&E till two days later.

This is actually a very good point that I didn't consider in my confused state. Next time (let's face it I'm that sh1t there'll be a next time) I'll tell the truth and shame the devil.

Baywonder

Visit site
As a teenager, I offered to help back a ginger short legged little horror Shetland.

The owner had it tethered by a rather long rope, and I was helping trying to catch him. Of course, the pony wasn't having any of this, and he bombed off - taking me cleanly off my feet with the rope 'total wipe out' style!

Luckily, only my pride was damaged, and once backed, the pony turned out to be a real sweetie who never put a foot wrong ever again!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I once got literally run over by a herd of Shetlands. I was holding some treats and saw them all furiously galloping towards me, and kept thinking, 'OK, any second now they're going to slow down'. They did not slow down...
I can't concentrate - too funny!!! :D:D:D:D

Surbie

Visit site
I once got literally run over by a herd of Shetlands. I was holding some treats and saw them all furiously galloping towards me, and kept thinking, 'OK, any second now they're going to slow down'. They did not slow down...

That is so funny! I can imagine the horror when it hit you that they wouldn't stop. Shortly followed by them hitting you. :D:D:D

Lady Jane

Visit site
Mounting and loss of attention while stationary are both very dangerous activities. Second only to day dreaming bringing in and turning out.