Packing for a 3 day event... Anyone been to Keysoe? HELP!

Girlracer

Visit site
Afternoon all!

I am looking for some help, I am trying to be organised and have created myself a packing checklist, however I am so worried about forgetting something important!

We leave on Friday morning, with competition Saturday, Sunday and Monday!

I am so excited but it is our first away show, and I was hoping that the H&H world may have some words of wisdom for us!

Weather is looking very good, which in itself brings issues (flies!). And I am not sure what the competitor stabling is like at Keysoe, are they likely to get hot?

Any help much appreciated!

18557395_1233349090124024_6465814078695541925_n.jpg

cundlegreen

Visit site
We went up there in Aug for a mare and foal day. The boxes were across the road, and a good size, and not at all hot. I imagine they'll use those for the ODE>

Orangehorse

Visit site
Never been away before - eek! I have never done a 3 day event, but I have been away to shows and other things.

All you can do is lots of lists! Take spare tack, like spare bridle, girth, horse shoes (in case you loose one, the farrier then can put on your horse's rather than make something fit, ask your farrier for a spare set). Spare riding clothes in case you get drenched - rain of course! First aid kit for horse and human and take ice if you can (saved me a competition once). Double check that you have all the correct documentation all together in a folder and double check that it is in the lorry with you before you leave. Also check you have the horse! Fill with fuel, check water, tyres, etc. the day before travelling. Depending on what you feed your horse, you can put up feeds in bags ready, so you just have to open the bag, mix and present to horse, much easier.

One thing to bear in mind is that at a competition the stables are often a long way from the lorry parking, which can mean a lot of walking for you, so jobs that are quickly done at home take much longer when away and are also more tiring. Do you have a trolley or collaspable wheelbarrow to transport things from lorry to horse?

I am sure lots of other people will give you tips. Good luck and have fun.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
We've been to Keysoe many times, the stables are in rows with most internal, but some facing outwards. We found the very end ones are a bit cooler than the middle ones especially if its breezy, our horse needed a rug even though it was summer when he was on the end, although it looks like you are going to have good weather. The stables are across a quiet road from the main centre and car park, so as someone has said be aware you need to ferry stuff across. There is a nice cafe and veranda which will be lovely in the sun. Also theres a well stocked shop if you forget anything.
i try and work through all the things we are going to do, mentally going over horse then rider stuff and what we need for each discipline. I always take a spare set of reins and I took 5 different thickness rugs last time we stayed away and only used one, bit OTT, I tend to over pack and usually come back with loads of unused stuff. Good luck and have fun!

Girlracer

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone!

I am sooo looking forward to it. I think I have got a checklist for everything. Thankfully we aren't leaving until about 1pm Friday so plenty of time to make sure everything is done! Thank you for all the tips, and I will be sure to do a report afterwards :D

mcnaughty

Visit site
Wine - that is all you need to pack! LOL - when we go away we pack flip flops for the shower as at other showgrounds they can get v nasty!