Packing list for riding holiday in Crete - 10kg limit

Landcruiser

Visit site
So, all being well, I'm heading to Crete in a few weeks for my long delayed 60th birthday present to myself. It should have been last May....I'm going solo to a place in the mountains where they have a hotel plus stables and run guided (and unguided) treks across Crete as well as normal lessons and out riding. Lasithi Trail in case anyone wants a gander. I'm doing a hundred mile trail over 6 days. I haven't been on a riding holiday since I was 11 years old, so this has been a long time coming! Anyway, I'm only taking hand baggage only for ease, so I have a 10kg limit, 8 kg discounting the lightweight case I have bought (good old TK Maxx).

My plan is to wear as much as I can, including my riding boots, and my hat, which I shall clip to my bag once I'm through bag check. I have a shell jacket and a shell waistcoat which both have big pockets, so all my electrical stuff - kindle, phone, power pack, plugs will go in there and in my Reitertasche bag which will be strapped on me. So will passport, paperwork, and a notebook and pen. Ditto glasses and sunglasses. Oh, and a phrasebook! I'll travel in my thickest trackie bottoms which are new and funky tie dye. TK again :)
My case has:
t shirts/tops, sports type lightweight. - 5 for riding, 5 vest type for evenings
A lightweight greek cotton longish dress that rolls up tight
A thin long sleeved shirt for riding
1 pair shorts
1 swimming costume
1 bikini
1 pair light trackie bottoms
socks/knickers 4 of each- all vetted for seams and all lightweight
A lightweight foldable sun/rain hat
A pair of comfy leather flip flop type sandals
A pair of comfy lightweight fabric shoes
Toiletries in two zip lok plastic bags, one for liquids/gels (suncream, insect repellant, Voltarol gel(!), lip salfe, moisturiser, deodorant, one for other bits/meds/shampoo bar/flannel.
A lightweight waterproof jacket
A smartish fleece jacket
1 x Riding tights
1 x thin jods
A sheepskin seatsaver - (I'm riding english, after riding in a comfy western saddle the last 12 years or so :eek:)
A head torch.
A Reitertasche bag which I have included in the weight allowance - I shall be wearing it but need to know it can go in if they ask me to do so)

Which is coming in at 9.5kg excluding the jods (in the wash) so I think I will be about bang on.
Have I forgotten anything obvious? I think towels and toiletries are provided in the hotel (you are ferried back there for the first and last couple of nights, and stay in guest houses the middle two, the horses stay out on the trail). Looking at my list it seems amazing I've got it all in. If anyone comes up with anything I've forgotten, I can ditch one or two bits of clothing. The bikini is first out the door. I usually overpack ridiculously, but it's been a tremendous discipline getting a weeks worth of stuff in a carry on bag!:p

Marigold4

Visit site
So, all being well, I'm heading to Crete in a few weeks for my long delayed 60th birthday present to myself. It should have been last May....I'm going solo to a place in the mountains where they have a hotel plus stables and run guided (and unguided) treks across Crete as well as normal lessons and out riding. Lasithi Trail in case anyone wants a gander. I'm doing a hundred mile trail over 6 days. I haven't been on a riding holiday since I was 11 years old, so this has been a long time coming! Anyway, I'm only taking hand baggage only for ease, so I have a 10kg limit, 8 kg discounting the lightweight case I have bought (good old TK Maxx).

My plan is to wear as much as I can, including my riding boots, and my hat, which I shall clip to my bag once I'm through bag check. I have a shell jacket and a shell waistcoat which both have big pockets, so all my electrical stuff - kindle, phone, power pack, plugs will go in there and in my Reitertasche bag which will be strapped on me. So will passport, paperwork, and a notebook and pen. Ditto glasses and sunglasses. Oh, and a phrasebook! I'll travel in my thickest trackie bottoms which are new and funky tie dye. TK again :)
My case has:
t shirts/tops, sports type lightweight. - 5 for riding, 5 vest type for evenings
A lightweight greek cotton longish dress that rolls up tight
A thin long sleeved shirt for riding
1 pair shorts
1 swimming costume
1 bikini
1 pair light trackie bottoms
socks/knickers 4 of each- all vetted for seams and all lightweight
A lightweight foldable sun/rain hat
A pair of comfy leather flip flop type sandals
A pair of comfy lightweight fabric shoes
Toiletries in two zip lok plastic bags, one for liquids/gels (suncream, insect repellant, Voltarol gel(!), lip salfe, moisturiser, deodorant, one for other bits/meds/shampoo bar/flannel.
A lightweight waterproof jacket
A smartish fleece jacket
1 x Riding tights
1 x thin jods
A sheepskin seatsaver - (I'm riding english, after riding in a comfy western saddle the last 12 years or so :eek:)
A head torch.
A Reitertasche bag which I have included in the weight allowance - I shall be wearing it but need to know it can go in if they ask me to do so)

Which is coming in at 9.5kg excluding the jods (in the wash) so I think I will be about bang on.
Have I forgotten anything obvious? I think towels and toiletries are provided in the hotel (you are ferried back there for the first and last couple of nights, and stay in guest houses the middle two, the horses stay out on the trail). Looking at my list it seems amazing I've got it all in. If anyone comes up with anything I've forgotten, I can ditch one or two bits of clothing. The bikini is first out the door. I usually overpack ridiculously, but it's been a tremendous discipline getting a weeks worth of stuff in a carry on bag!:p

No idea what you should take but it sounds completely amazing. Hope you have a great time!

littleshetland

Visit site
So sorry to hijack your thread, but your post reminded me of a friend who went on a riding holiday and decided to take paper knickers (this was some years ago now) to save on washing. Every evening at the end of a long day in the saddle she'd empty out masses of confetti from her jodhpurs..... Hope you have a lovely time.

sunnyone

Visit site
As somebody who used to go out sailing regularly for 2 weeks or so at a time and therefore could only take one bag for kit:

I would ditch the head torch, you are not going to be riding out at night, and your phone can double as a torch for a quick walk. There's an app for that, as they say.

The way we did things was moor up, shower, put on clean T shirt for evening, then wear it for daytime the next day. Repeat. Have only one going out rig i.e. the dress.
Pants: do not rely on being able to wash and dry them, take enough for each day plus at least 2 spares.
Did you deliberately omit night wear?
Take a very lightweight scarf,so useful for raw patches on arms and neck.
I'd take a roll of anti-blister tape,

Try to get your bag down to less than 9 kg for your outbound flight as you are bound to want to bring back a souvenir or two.

I really hope you enjoy yourself. I liked what little I saw of the island (all of the northern coast viewed from a yacht and Chania) . The people on shore were friendly and helpful too.

Skib

sites.google.com
It maybe hotter than you think. We went to Crete on 9 October 2019 and a week later in Knossos my pics show tourists in shorts and strappy tops. We were on an archeology trip but my pics show both men and women in shorts and trecking type sandals. I bought an extra T shirt while there as it was warmer than I expected.

MissTyc

Visit site
I am clearly a dirty person. I would take knickers and socks for each day, my favourite sports bra, one going out dress that I'd wear without a bra (I am a bit flat so this isn't an option for everyone!), shorts, comfy shoes, riding shoes/boots/chaps/whatever, my favourite lightweight breeches and maybe a second pair in case I damage/dirt them too badly, 1-2 t-shirts and done. Lots of deodorant hahahahaha

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I echo the idea to take a scarf or buff - I usually wear one riding on trails as protection against both sun and dust. I would take just one sort of swimwear but take more knickers/socks (I always take a pair for everyday unless I'm staying in the same acc. every night and know I can wash and dry).

Even though I prefer to ride without gloves, I always take a pair riding abroad as you can never be sure what the reins will be like and sometimes they can rub, plus I have burned my hands on more than one occasion.

What about a water bottle? Useful for travel and potentially for on the ride, depending on what they provide.

SEL

Visit site
If you've got solo occupancy of a room at the guest house then you can always rinse out a t-shirt, pants etc (hotel shampoo works!). Synthetic materials work great in that respect because they dry quickly.

Make sure you check day and night temperatures. I did a ride in Jordan where one of the guests didn't realise the overnight temperatures in the desert were chilly (it was December - we had a frost one night) and arrived with just t-shirts and a light fleece. The rest of us had thermal PJs and down jackets. I also put a pair of gloves in after burning one of my hands quite badly and usually only 2 pairs of jods - they could stand upright after a couple of rides I did.

One of those stringy round the next things for holding your sunglasses is handy if you intend riding in them - which if it is sunny you may need to.

Camera?

Ditto water bottle - check if guides will provide or if they stop regularly for drinks

Post back here (with photos) please. I used to do loads of overseas rides and I really, really miss it now I spend all my excess money on my hairy herd and their respective vet bills! You'll have an amazing time :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
List looks good but my advice would be double check the dimensions of the case. Depending on the airline/airport they can pay more attention to this than the weight. Also if your case is a soft shell, if it's really stuffed full it can bulge out making it bigger than the measurements on the specifications.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Some great advice! The bikini and the head torch are out. I already have a nightie and a light scarf, forgot to add them to my list above. I'll put in some more pants and socks and ditch them if I need to for souvenirs. Camera - I'm using my phone. Water bottle - an obvious omission, I knew I could rely on you lot! Gloves - added. Mini first aid kit - I have a few blister packs of tabs - imodium, ibuprofen, co-codamol, rennies, cystitis powder, and of course my asthma inhaler. I'm assuming the guides will carry wound type stuff.
Size of case - my case is bang on the size they allow. It potentially bulges to make it bigger as it's very soft, but it's squashy, not hard packed full so will easily go in one of the testing boxes.
I didn't know blister tape was a thing, I will definitely look at that. I got an infected blister on my backside a few years ago from a long ride on a not very comfortable western saddle in Buenos Aires. That was an interesting trip to the local chemist:p.
Here's the hol for anyone interested. I'm watching the damn infection rates climbing and hoping against hope I can really go this time...

https://www.unicorntrails.com/europe/greece/lasithitrailguided/

SOS

Visit site
They don’t like you wearing hats in the airport from my experience and questioned us when ours were clipped to the outside of our luggage and made it not fit into the specified dimensions.

We wore them on our bags then put them on our heads whilst they measured the bags then clipped back on again!

Fred66

Visit site
Double check your toiletries last time I travelled in your hand luggage you could only take 1 clear bag through customs maximum size 20cm x 20cm with maximum individual content size of 100ml - the good news is once you are departure side then you can buy more at Boots
Also a trick I have used in the past is that my T-shirt from the night before can be used as the day top for the following day. Subject to having a shower before wearing it, deodorant and not doing anything too strenuous!!!

criso

Visit site
Double check your toiletries last time I travelled in your hand luggage you could only take 1 clear bag through customs maximum size 20cm x 20cm with maximum individual content size of 100ml - the good news is once you are departure side then you can buy more at Boots

That's true, I haven't travelled recently but as it's a security thing there is no reason to suspect it's changed. Also I have a sturdy zip clear bag and I have been made to decant into the airport bags to make sure mine doesn't carry more.

However sounds like the OP has one bag for liquid toiletries and the other is for non liquid. I do the same with things powder, toothbrush in another bag so they don't take up space in my liquids bag.

Bionic Boy

Visit site
Apologies if someone has already mentioned it, sunglasses for riding, especially if you are riding in dusty / Sandy places

Petalpoos

Visit site
And..a retainer cord for your sunglasses. I have littered a few places around the world with expensive sunnies, generally in countries where you can’t replace them ?. Sounds like a lovely present.

Fred66

Visit site
That's true, I haven't travelled recently but as it's a security thing there is no reason to suspect it's changed. Also I have a sturdy zip clear bag and I have been made to decant into the airport bags to make sure mine doesn't carry more.

However sounds like the OP has one bag for liquid toiletries and the other is for non liquid. I do the same with things powder, toothbrush in another bag so they don't take up space in my liquids bag.
Toothbrush isn’t an issue but my mother was made to merge her make up items (ie powders/creams) with liquids on one occasion

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve done a Spanish riding holiday and a thin headscarf and wraparound sunglasses with a low profile such as cycling ones are a must if travelling fast over dusty/ sandy terrain at speed. I would also take Lanacane anti-chafing gel. I did an Icelandic trek and forgot to take a sports bra ??‍♀️ so I wore two normal bras instead - a must for tolting. I also like talc for those sweaty areas to help smooth things and prevent chafing.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Vaseline, good for lots of things
Spare sunglasses (I tend to lose mine day 2)
I always bring baby wipes but they are heavy

Many hols I've been on there was not a lot of 'dressing for dinner' at all so you would defo get away with less eve tops or as others have said just one or two nice things and the rest your riding tops with a clean one in the evening for riding in the next day
Maybe one more very ight long sleeve shirt, if you did end up with a bit of sunburn you needed to cover, or there were a lot of brambles, one won't be enough. I say this having finished a hol with my one long sleeve shirt worn almost every day and suitable only for dishclothes after...

teacups

Visit site
If I was spending the kind of money a riding holiday usually costs, plus hadn’t been able to go on holiday for a while, I would spend the extra £20 each way that a suitcase costs! If necessary, would save the money by not spending as much on eating out - easily done.
Although I do like packing light generally - and the challenge of getting within the 10 kg is also fun.

criso

Visit site
The downside of that is getting to your riding holiday destination to find your luggage has not made it and the 1st day of your 5 days you are without jods, hat or boots. The only riding holiday abroad I had since this incident was tagged onto the end of a work trip to South Africa so they had plenty of time to get my luggage to me but I did have to have different wardrobes for work and riding.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I wore an ill-fitting sports bra on a trail in Croatia once and had a welt about the size of a 50p piece at the end of a hot day. It took many months to disappear completely! I can only imagine the result of tölting without a good bra. I have ridden in Iceland too and I did hear a tale of how they once had to get a doctor to treat some riders who came without good bras, so you are not alone @Sussexbythesea!

It's most important to get the comfort level right, from the undies to the socks and all the other layers too. Socks which are too tight at the top are also a no-no in my experience.