Packing list for riding holiday in Crete - 10kg limit

Landcruiser

Visit site
I’ve done a Spanish riding holiday and a thin headscarf and wraparound sunglasses with a low profile such as cycling ones are a must if travelling fast over dusty/ sandy terrain at speed. I would also take Lanacane anti-chafing gel. I did an Icelandic trek and forgot to take a sports bra ??‍♀️ so I wore two normal bras instead - a must for tolting. I also like talc for those sweaty areas to help smooth things and prevent chafing.
Not gonna be a problem - I'm a 38AA:p

Landcruiser

Visit site
If I was spending the kind of money a riding holiday usually costs, plus hadn’t been able to go on holiday for a while, I would spend the extra £20 each way that a suitcase costs! If necessary, would save the money by not spending as much on eating out - easily done.
Although I do like packing light generally - and the challenge of getting within the 10 kg is also fun.
I'm allowed 20kg hold luggage, but because I'm travelling alone, and being picked up at the other end potentially with several others in a single vehicle, I decided to try to carry everything with me. I didn't want to be having that hideous wait at the baggage carrousel on my own, with people waiting for me. I'm still not properly over the time my and OH's big case failed to reach Hawaii until 2 days after we did., and we had nothing practical with us bar the clothes we stood up in...

sportsmansB

Visit site
I go on a lot of riding holidays and I do always bring a decent sized hand baggage with jods, t shirts, few days undies, basic toiletries etc and I have needed it on occasion when baggage didn't show. Always wear my boots anyhow. But I don't see it as an alternative to proper luggage... I have mostly met my fellow holiday makers at the baggage carousel tbh, if travelling to a small airport. Its defo worth thinking about especially if the weather looked less than perfect and you needed a few more layers.
Also microfibre camping towels. Can't have too many of those and they are light as a feather.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
the best way to put clothes in is a sausage roll.......largest item flat the length of the inside of the inside of the suit case and then layer the clothes along it roll up and use ties to secure it. for lotions and potions, pick them up in the airport past checking or on arrival, each 1ml of liquid is 1g of weight........

teacups

Visit site
The downside of that is getting to your riding holiday destination to find your luggage has not made it and the 1st day of your 5 days you are without jods, hat or boots. The only riding holiday abroad I had since this incident was tagged onto the end of a work trip to South Africa so they had plenty of time to get my luggage to me but I did have to have different wardrobes for work and riding.

That’s a good point! I’d still have the hold luggage though, but would probably take the hard to replace essentials e.g. hat, boots, gloves, jacket & a change of clothes plus some extra knickers/bra in my handluggage.

OP, I just looked at your holiday. It sounds fabulous! Bet you can’t wait.

Looking forward to the holiday report, please.

Landcruiser

Visit site
There are several airports in Crete with Herakleion being the second busiest in Greece. Chania is definitely smaller. I'd stick with hand luggage OP, you are not going to have the time to go shopping for lost essentials.
I'm flying into Herakleion, thinking I'll stick with the hand luggage as I'm pretty much there with what I need, as long as I wear my hat and boots and an extra layer or so as I go through the check in. I guess with hold baggage I could take a bigger camera but I'm not sure I'd want to carry it riding anyway. I always take too much on holiday, so I'm quite enjoying the discipline of 10 kg :)

Runaground

Visit site
If not already mentioned, sunscreen and anti mosquito cream would be a must. I lived in Greece on our sailing boat for many years and would not be without these! You can ditch the phrase book learn a couple of words for politeness then don't worry English is spoken pretty much everywhere and they never mind using it. Very welcoming people

PurBee

Visit site
The first things i grab to go anywhere is mascara and favourite essential oils perfume! ??

You’re very sensible with your list - i can’t recall, did you include riding gloves?