Paddock Cleaners - Advice please?

scimitargtc

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - I hadn't spotted the fuel ratio on the fuel tank cap itself --- fuel mixed and ready to go - will probably add an update when we use it Sunday..... :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
I bought a Predator Lynx after seeing one in action at a friends' yard. I've a dozen Highland ponies here and there is no way, at my age, I am poo picking that lot by hand! I am definitely not connected with any manufacturer either!

I, too, did extensive research. I did hear, as others have confirmed, that the sweeper types were not good in long grass. I also suspect they just smear wet poo which isn't going to help with grass sickness, if there is a connection. On the other hand, I was impressed by the way the suction type sucks up poo in any state or age regardless of the length of the grass. Despite what others have implied, it will not handle hay or straw. I've no experience of using it on sawdust or shavings..

BUT the machines are thirsty! I pull mine behind a TRX350 Honda quad and both that and the vacuum use petrol. If I poo picked every day I am quite sure my annual fuel bill would be well in excess of £1,000. It is a 13.5HP petrol engine on the vacuum and if I'd thought I could have almost halved the bill by getting one with a diesel engine and run it on red diesel. Same goes for the quad.

There is a fair bit of technique to using the machine. First, it pays to use strategy and line the poos up before you attack them! If they are out of range, leave them for another run. Poo can stick in the hopper so you need water laid on. You can fork it out but if you start with half a bucket of water in the hopper it generally slides out much easier when the hydraulic tip is operated. There is a lip around the hopper door which does stop poo sliding out so I invested in a sheet of galvanized steel and put in a false liner to reduce this. It does help. If you don't like helping the tipping action by poking around with a fork, you can always introduce some water with a hose pipe. That works too. The pipe does occasionally block but giving it a shake will often get it working as will pouring in half a bucket of water.

It is essential to wash out the machine after use or the dried poo acts like concrete and will bung up the fan and mechanism stopping it working. I have a power washer which does a brilliant job. You need to occasionally blow out the pipe as well. Pipe life will be increased if you look after it and make sure it isn't subjected to any violent bends or blows. I bought a length of the pipe from a wholesalesupplier and like to convince myself I saved money. The solid pipe at each end is simply plastic drainage pipe and I get what I need by begging for broken lengths (free!) at my local agricultural drainage centre. This can be cut to length with a wood saw and fixed in place using a drill and small nuts and bolts (cost = pennies).

The fan housing will eventually wear out. It is heavy and difficult to remove. I use a hydraulic car jack and a piece of wood to drop it down when the bolts are undone. Then to replace it, baler twine through the screw holes and then jack it back up again. When you've removed the punctured fan housing, take it to a metal workshop and get them to spot weld curved steel panels to the outside, leaving the damaged section in place. When it needs replacing again (which it will do eventually), get them to simply cut the spot welds with a grinder and replace them. This is a cheap job (£30?) and will save buying a new unit (>£150?). I now do this job myself so save even more. (Yep, I'm a skin flint!:)).

In an ideal world, and if I win the lottery, I'd have a sweeper AND a vacuum machine as they both have their uses. In dry weather on short grass, I'd go for the sweeper. But the rest of the time I'd use a Predator Lynx with a diesel engine pulled by a diesel quad or perhaps one of each converted to Calor gas.

Oh, one thing that REALLY annoys me about the Predator! That really tacky and ineffectual tow hitch and jockey wheel! Yuck! I really hate them both and they spoil an otherwise well made machine.