Paddock Maintenance Equipment

Gadaboutlass

New User
Visit site
Hello,

We have 4 acres of grazing and would like advice on paddock equipment. The husband is keen on an ATV with attachments. I'm considering a ride on mower with a tow attachment. The land is clay and will be flooded in the winter so low pressure tyres essential. My shopping list of equipment so far:-

roller
chainharrows for paddock and arena
aerator?
trailer with tipper for poo picking

what vehicle - ATV/small tractor or ride on tractor? we do have a jeep that could tow some equipment as an option?

We are getting land sprayed by ATV BASIS qualified contractor to get rid of weeds. Will soil test with follow up fertilser.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Honestly for 4 acres you'll spend £10k on your equipment and use most of it once a year

Much better value to get a contractor in for the day a year that you need it and not have to store/ maintain it the other 364 days.
If you have a jeep then a seed harrow or chain harrow is handy (or gate or pallet will do OK)

Rolling clay will compact it and prevent grass flourishing - if you absolutely must then a Cambridge roll that will do less damage to the soil structure

Borrow some sheep is good option, weedkillers, harrowers and fertilisers in one !

An old tractor with PTO will probably be better value than ATV and better able to cope with some work

MissTyc

Visit site
We have 40 acres and we have our own chain harrow, but have a contractor with tractor in for everything else. Topping & rolling costs me £600/year all in in 3x £200 segments as the field is grazed and worked in rotation. It has definitely been cheaper as no equipment maintenance. I did have my own cutters to pull behind the car but they were second (more like 100th!) hand off Ebay and didn't survive very long! Def worth keeping an eye out for second hand equipment to give yuo that freedom, but contractors often quite cost effective and will have high quality professional gear!

Gadaboutlass

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your prompt advice. I'm considering using my Dads Massey Ferguson 35 tractor. Was concerned it would be too big and heavy. Just thought I could change the tyres on the tractor. I agree the contractors know best and the equipment will be maintained.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It depends on your ground/stocking density obviously but we have a similar acreage, we bought a small roller to tow with the 4x4 one year we were struggling (and timing can be a bit key) - and figured it would be helpful as we used the field for schooling/jumping too. A couple of years after we had no tow vehicle and remaining horse at the time broken.

So someone locally harrows and rolls it once a year and Dad enjoys treading divots in (he is a golfer but still :p). We discuss getting kit every so often and I'm sure he would like an ATV but realistically for the quantity of ground it isn't worth it for us.

QuantockHills

Visit site
I've got 3 acres and a quad bike that pulls a small roller a clever friend made for me... but my chain harrows are very heavy so I have to use my 4x4 for those.... i tried once with the quad and it overheated and caught fire! I dont think you'll be able to pull much with a ride on mower....?

meleeka

Visit site
I have a ride on mower with tipping trailer. It’s great in the summer but wouldn’t cope with mud. I use it to mow the docks and poo picking. I’d love a quad but the cost puts me off.