Paddock maintenance now its finally getting a break!

Kacey88

Visit site
Hello!

My one acre paddock is finally getting a well deserved break. Its very very eaten down, muddy in parts and has been in use for quite a while.

So I have a boom sprayer, lots of energy and some time on my hands. There are some nettles I know, lots and lots of buttercups, dandelion and daisy. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll find out exactly what's growing now its not being grazed.

I won't able to leave it idle long enough to re-do the whole thing, but I have a few months. I'd rather not get machinery in - its divided into three sections.

What would be the best plan of action? Can I over seed it myself, at least in some parts?

Thanks in advance for any advice

rextherobber

Visit site
Harrowing is excellent, if you can arrange it, you can get small car towed ones, you dont need a tractor. Grass seed might be better to do in the autumn, I did it in April last year, and then watched helplessly as all the seedlings scorched and burned in the sun. Its good to spread well rotted manure ( provided your worming protocol is good) and/or any old hay on bare patches, if you can keep the horses off for 6-8 weeks. I also enjoy working in the fields, it's hugely satisfying!