Paddock maintenence help please

MrsElle

Visit site
I have my two on an acre of paddock. Ellie has suffered from Lami in the past and Chad is overweight so I am not overly bothered that they have grazed it down to nothing already.

They always have access to hay and Ellie is still being fed once a day as she is an old girl in need of building up.

I currently have perhaps a quarter of the paddock fenced off to let the grass grow a little but given the state of the paddock so early in the season I was wondering what else I could do to keep it healthy with at least some grazing. I am in negotiation with a neighbour over another couple of acres, so my current worry might soon be solved, but if not what do lovely lot out there advise?

angiebaby

Visit site
I would section at least half of it off. One acre for a lami prone and an overweight one is quite a lot of land ( think half a football pitch is 0.9 acres lol)
If you have had rain like we have had, the grass will be growing at an alarming rate. Just because it looks like there's nothing there, doesn't mean they are not eating; they are eating it down as fast as its growing!!

I have around an acre, split into 4, I rotate it using a track system around the paddocks. I have three natives on this, and it will last me well into October

teddyt

Visit site
With an ex laminitic and a fatty it would be safer to keep very little grass and just carry on with the hay. Supplement with hard feed for the old girl as required. Dont worry about the lack of grass, better that than stuck in a stable for hours at a time because of too much.

pottamus

Visit site
I keep my good doer on about 1 acre all year with hay and he can still put weight on if not ridden. It looks like he is hard done by but there is plenty there for him to nibble at and they will be eating it as it grows don't forget!