Paddock Topping

Kevee

Visit site
Hi All,

I am about to embark on managing my own pasture and I just wanted to check that I have the basics right to help me for the years to come.

When topping the paddock to encourage growth I was thinking of using a rotary mower, should I use this or is a flail more appropriate?

Also when topping how do I stop the rows of compressed grass that the horses would not be able to eat?

Thanks,

Kevin

Oscar

Visit site
We were advised to go for a flail mower, it mulches the grass cuttings into tiny pieces that then feed the growing grass. We cut and rest the paddock keeping the horses off for a minimum of two weeks to allow the clippings to fully break down as obviously cut grass is lethal if ingested.

Kevee

Visit site
Thanks all,

Mulching the grass into smaller pieces makes sense because would break down quicker so flail may be the way to go.

Could not help thinking when seeing the pictures on the report if grass would be that long if been used previously and waiting for growth to come back :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I manage topping my grazing using a diesel garden tractor with a heavy duty mulching deck I manage just under fifteen acres and use the same machine to do the lawns.
It works very well it’s slow but because I am rotating use I am never doing the whole lot in one go .

Kevee

Visit site
I do not have 15 acres, that is a nice size plot :)

I do have a compact tractor so time should not be an issue, just wanted to make sure I was getting the right attachments to do the job.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
We have three acres and use a standard ride on mower, it either collects or take the collection boxes off and it mulches, we leave the topped paddocks two weeks to make sure mulched grass is fully dried out before the horses are allowed back on.

Kevee

Visit site
Thanks, do you know if a ride on mower is more like a rotary or flail? Maybe the flail is the way to go for me, leave for a few weeks then rake remaining to be safe?

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
The ride on mower is rotary, it isn't a towed flail mower it has a wide deck so doesn't take long to do. Do you need a flail? Is your land more scrub land? Our ride on mower copes with paddocks and even quite tall grass with no issue. We top and leave for two weeks but that's just as we rotate our paddocks, the grass is generally plenty dry within a week in cooler weather or a day or so in hot weather. The bonus of a ride on is you can collect the cuttings if you wish.

Kevee

Visit site
The land is more like scrub land at the moment but I guess in time it will transfer to being more grass paddock like. I have a hand held brush cutter. Don't think I could justify a ride on mower if I have the tractor though.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
Ah ok, if it is more scrub type land then the flail mower will be your best choice, I don't think the ride on mower would last too long on that.