Paddock track grazing on clay?

pottamus

Visit site
Hi for those of you on clay that have a track system around your fields...how does it stand up in winter?
My OH is not happy about the idea but I wanted to give it a go this year when I move my lad onto a new field. It is a rectangle field surrounded by hedge and trees on both sides but is clay. The total field is about 1.5 acres and it will be for one horse.

TTK

Visit site
I'm on heavy clay and let them have as much land as possible in winter to spread the wear. My neighbour has a track system and it is 2 foot deep of claggy mud and is revolting. I wouldn't do it, not on clay.

touchstone

Visit site
My track isn't on particularly heavy ground, but I still find it ploughs up over winter if left in the same place. I solve it by gradually moving one side of the track in over time so that the remaining area in the middle is grazed. The beauty of it is its flexibility, I can move one side or all of them and just use part or all of the field so that it is rested and doesn't get ploughed up. I usually have the whole field in use by the end of winter, but you can adapt it to to whatever you want.

AngieandBen

Visit site
Split the field up; half acre for spring/smmer, then do a track around this and strip graze it down. Leave the one to grow for winter. Even with just one horse on it it will churn up on clay