Paddocks overrun by self heal

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It is illegal to spray paddocks which have certain protected wildflowers in them such as cowslips. So I don't do a broad spray of my paddocks which are rich in a variety of wild flowers and herbs. I do spot spray any nasties such as ragwort though. However, this year they have become overrun by self heal which the horses don't appear to touch despite it being one of the herbs beneficial to horses. It is taaking over the field and looks a mess. What would you do? I am not that worried regarding the lack of grass as apart from one oldie, they are doing rather well weight-wise. It's just that most years the paddocks look lovely, but this year they look a mess.

Nicnac

Visit site
I just top them every couple of weeks. We also have a spindly yellow flower which turns into tiny burrs and covers the dogs' coats so regularly topping keeps on top (haha) of these too.

I leave a couple of paddocks awash with wild plants and flowers which I put horses into when awaiting farrier, etc as they are nearer my stables.

teddypops

Visit site
I'm not allowed to spray my fields so we top them when it's needed and I have been known to use my lawn mower over smaller plants that the topper misses!

Rollin

Visit site
Ride on however with a box, if you can manage, might be better you will collect weed seeds. Have you thought of using a flame gun - get one on line or ask your plumber to make one for a decent sized bottle - NOT camping gas size.

teddypops

Visit site
Do you have a local farmer that might do it for you? I used to get the neighbour to do it and he didn't charge very much, was about £20 I think

DTV

Visit site
Every day a school day as they say.I've wondered for years what those purple wild flowers were in my fields.Just googled and found out a bit more about them.True the hosses don't touch them but they're not poisonous, just a little bitter to taste.We can eat them tho',boiled leaves in salads,make tea etc.Good for the bees but,as you say,it does spread.Agreed that topping is best for control,but,tbh,they're part of a good meadow ley it would seem.:)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Do you have a local farmer that might do it for you? I used to get the neighbour to do it and he didn't charge very much, was about £20 I think

Yes, I could see if someone might do it. Thanks.

Every day a school day as they say.I've wondered for years what those purple wild flowers were in my fields.Just googled and found out a bit more about them.True the hosses don't touch them but they're not poisonous, just a little bitter to taste.We can eat them tho',boiled leaves in salads,make tea etc.Good for the bees but,as you say,it does spread.Agreed that topping is best for control,but,tbh,they're part of a good meadow ley it would seem.:)

They are very pretty when in flower. I have some very rare white ones here too. But when they go to seed, they look a mess. I didn't mind them in previous years, but this year they seem to have gone mad. The buttercups and thistles were worse too. It may just be because I don't have so many horses here now and so they are maybe eating one or two of them but not so you'd notice.

Ride on however with a box, if you can manage, might be better you will collect weed seeds. Have you thought of using a flame gun - get one on line or ask your plumber to make one for a decent sized bottle - NOT camping gas size.

I hadn't thought of a flame gun, no. I wouldn't fancy it though, lol.