Paddy's trip to horse-pital. ( long-ish)

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Morning all...
Paddy arrived at bristol vets at about 1pm after he left here at 9.20...he loaded perfectly which was a relief after 10 months of not going anywhere.
The first vet did his initial examination , just a basic ' in stable ' assessment and found back pain , and also neck pain , general stiffness one side etc.
The second vet ( the top bod Fellow of eqine orthopedics and surgery ) then took him to a proper examination room and started her bit - where the big oaf promptly stood on her toe :eek::eek: she was not a happy bunny.
Then followed walk / trotting up which showed lameness in his right hind , and front left with a keratoma in the coronary band above his cracked hoof ( he's always had the crack and lumpy c/band but never presented lame) , also as an added complication there is something amiss in his neck at about C3 vertabrae..
He was then lunged ( which i don't do because i'm crap at it ) but he was good as gold despite lameness. We then tacked him up - ha ha this is where the fun begins!! I rode first - bear in mind he's not been sat on for over 4 months:eek: Well he bucked everytime i went up the transistions - walk to trot - buck , trot to canter - massive buck - yikes , not nice especially as i had borrowed a hat which didn't fit !! Anyway then the proper rider got on and he was worse again - although the vets were laughing as he was trying to buck in the most gentle fashion as if ..ouch you're hurting me , but i wont dump you cos you're my friend..
The decision was taken then to give him a massive IV pain killer and we were asked to stay another hour , so i could ride again :eek: we'd been doing all these test for nearly 2 hrs , including a neuro vet examination which involved blind folding him and i've got to say at that point i could have wept for the poor guy - utter humiliation..
Anyway just over an hour later we tacked him up again and i rode first - no change, in fact he seemed more unbalanced than ever , still putting in the bucks but did begin to settle - then the proper rider rode him and after a few initial bucks he did begin to carry himself in a better outline , so the vet put this down to anticipation of pain and then realization that actually he didn't hurt any more.
So todays fun and games start with a nerve block of the front left , to take that out of the equation and then if he's still lame despit the block then she will do a bone scan of his back , hind limbs , neck and the fronts if lame.
I was quite proud of the boy really as the vet kept saying ' he's such a nice person that he's telling you in the only way he can that he's in pain' .
Now all i can do is wait for the scans to be done and go from there...and even if he comes back home as a field ornament - you know , i think with the courage he's shown , he's bloody well earned it!..
I finally arrived home at about 9.30 last night so it was quite a day.
Sorry this turned into a ramble , i shall try and keep the results short and sweet!:D

Al.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Gosh sorry to hear all this, haven't seen your threads following up to this and it sounds as if poor guy needs some R&R. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope whatever it is they find is fixable and he returns to his own self. What a worry for you xx

0ldmare

Visit site
Glad he got there safely PI. It sounds like they are doing a really thorough job trying to find the root of the problem. Fingers crossed for today, when are you going back up there? How long do they expect to keep him in for?

PS Well done for sitting the bucks, it would have been a tad humiliating to eat dirt in front of them :D

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Glad he got there safely PI. It sounds like they are doing a really thorough job trying to find the root of the problem. Fingers crossed for today, when are you going back up there? How long do they expect to keep him in for?

PS Well done for sitting the bucks, it would have been a tad humiliating to eat dirt in front of them :D

yeah!- especially as all this is being recorded on video :eek:
I'm not sure how long it'll all take , if they scan this arvo , he'll be in scan-land , no contact with anyone for two days min , but the vet's say's there's a few issues going on so she need's to find out if they are one causing the other IYSWIM or wheter they are truely seperate issues , so he could be there at least for the rest of the week - i feel a bit gutted that the wonderful guy who boxed him up says that he's booked up for the rest of the week , so i'm not quite sure how i'll get him home before next week , i do have a 505 but honestly it hasn't moved for probably 10 months so i would worry about such a long journey in it.

mik

Visit site
This may sound weird, but I am so pleased, you are there, he knows you are trying to sort him and now you are giving him the chance he deserves. He sounds a wonderful person. Sounds really professional and very well organised. I wish you the very very best of luck. I guess he travelled well as you don't mention it. Fingers crossed for today ;)

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Wow PI that was a full on day - well done for sitting those bucks! :eek:

I really hope you get some results soon, the waiting game is the worst, once you know what you are dealing with you can make a plan and look ahead.

Please keep us posted, not sure where you are but probably not close enough for me to offer transport help.

Take care, and all my bendy bits crossed. x

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
What a day, bless him for being so.good, toe stomping aside ;)

Sounds like vets are being very thorough, everything crossed they get to root of problem/s and that it is treatable.

Big hugs from me & little nibbles around the knee area from Spartacus xx

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
Oh PI bless him. (apart from crunching vets toes). He sounds so good & patient. Well done you for following this through.
Sounds like they are being very meticulous & I hope you get an answer soon
Everything crossed for you both
x

sunshine19

Visit site
Big hugs to Paddy he sounds like he was a complete superstar. What a hell of a long day for you though, you must be exhausted. I hope they identify what is causing him bother and it is fixable. Maybe someone on here can recommend a transporter who can bring him home for you.

I've got everything crossed for you and your boy xx

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I like to say on behalf of Paddy Irish ,a HUGE thank you to everyone who's wished him luck both on the thread and via PM's , he'll probably be having his scan about now and will be too doped up to know anything...thanks for the offers re: transport home , i've provisionally booked the same guy but he can't go up till Tues so i'll just play it by ear , they may want him longer to do more tests depending on what the scan shows anyway. There are others going up and down to bristol , a local racehorse breeder regularly goes up ( I do a bit of framing for his wife ) so maybe Paddy could hook up with them , he travels well so i could trust him not to trash their posh lorry!