Paint for Wooden Stables/yard fencing

CBAnglo

Visit site
I have been researching this as I need to repaint my wooden stables. They are Ascot stables and were painted a long time ago (maybe 10 years ago) with (I think) black Barn Paint which has flaked a bit but isn't horrendous. The insides are lined, but have not been painted.

I was thinking of repainting the outside (grey?) and the inside traditional black/white and looking for some opinions.

Questions:

1. which colour for the outside (black again)? or grey? Red?
2. which paint to use for the outside? Barn Paint? Osmo Country Colour? Something else?
3. which paint to use for the inside? same as 2 or just cheap emulsion on the basis that I will have to paint quite often.

I also have a wooden agricultural barn that is painted with (I think) black barn paint, and the yard is enclosed with post and rail and gates etc also painted with the same black paint as is the post and rail around the school so everything needs repainting. Kind of makes sense to paint all the post and rail/school fence with black barn paint again ... and I could get it in bulk and use it for the inside of the stables as well I suppose.

The post and rail around the fields also needs to be treated but I figure I will use creocrate on this but open to any suggestions as this is the first time I have had to paint a yard!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Creosote is no longer sold, the more expensive fence paints are quite good, Sadolin is best for a good finish, I use it for tables and chairs kept outside, it is expensive but lasts the longest amd is best finish woodstain type of thing.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Thanks; yes I understand that creosote is no longer available (although farmers can still get it?) I meant the stuff from B&q etc think it's called creocote? autocorrect helpfully changed the spelling above. I just want to protect the p&r from the weather etc.

old hand

Visit site
Cuprinol do a five year version of their fence paint, am about to try it because all the others seem to wear off in about six months. It is twice the price of normal cuprinol fence paint but if it lasts as long as they say it will work out cheaper. Creosoted my arena fence but it has faded badly in three years which is why we are about to try the five year one. Have a shed done with Sadolins that has lasted ten years and gives a really good finish but is expensive. Screwfix sell all of them if there is a store near you and prices seem about the same as others.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Creosote is still available from farm equipment suppliers. I have bought several 20 l tubs - it's expensive at around £60.

thanks; I am not sure if this will work on the P&R round the school and the yard as it is already painted black but I think this (or more likely creocote) is what I will be using on the rest of the P&R.

Cuprinol do a five year version of their fence paint, am about to try it because all the others seem to wear off in about six months. It is twice the price of normal cuprinol fence paint but if it lasts as long as they say it will work out cheaper. Creosoted my arena fence but it has faded badly in three years which is why we are about to try the five year one. Have a shed done with Sadolins that has lasted ten years and gives a really good finish but is expensive. Screwfix sell all of them if there is a store near you and prices seem about the same as others.

What other ones have you tried? My parents had their wooden fence painted with Ronseal which was supposed to last 5 years but it faded after about 6 months and had to be redone. I was thinking for the yard where it was heaver use I might need something more industrial ...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I too have Ascot stables, mine get done every 2 years on the outside with Wickes Creocote mixed with a little of old car oil, only on the outside. Have never done insides & they all look pretty good. I pressure wash them all out at the end of each winter. The outsides get a brush down before creocoating.
Youngest stables are 1996 vintage with haybarn attached, then a 3-block of 1986, then a pair of 1979 (from Eagle buildings, who merged into Ascot/Winsdor stables in the 80's)

I use creoCote (was creoSote) again mixed with around 30% oil on the post and rail, this is done around every 2-3 years.

The oldest 1970's fencing still looks great, the newest (2001) is rubbish and rotten bits replaced every so often, but looks good once tarted up again.

I wouldn't paint mine, its too exposed to the elements and I cant abide flaking paint (nor the rubbing down!).

However, I hope you find somehting you like OP :)

Last edited:

CBAnglo

Visit site
I wouldn't paint mine, its too exposed to the elements and I cant abide flaking paint (nor the rubbing down!).

However, I hope you find somehting you like OP :)

Do you mean you wouldn't paint your stables? aggh, not sure what to do now as mine are definitely painted, therefore I don't think creocoting would work! I am replacing various bits of the interior which have been chewed by previous occupants so I thought I may as well paint the insides.

U569uk

Visit site
Not true, it's fine for professional use, and you can still buy it. It's not meant to be used in peoples homes, as such you can no longer buy it in small amounts.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Do you mean you wouldn't paint your stables? aggh, not sure what to do now as mine are definitely painted, therefore I don't think creocoting would work! I am replacing various bits of the interior which have been chewed by previous occupants so I thought I may as well paint the insides.

Exactly, its too much of a faff to rub down for me.
However, if yours are already painted, then looks like you have some elbow grease to purchase in large amounts :biggrin3:

CBAnglo

Visit site
Exactly, its too much of a faff to rub down for me.
However, if yours are already painted, then looks like you have some elbow grease to purchase in large amounts :biggrin3:

Its not too flaky - the post and rail round the yard is worse. I think I can just rub the worst bits (which are eye level) and then spray the rest. I am going to get one of those spray guns as otherwise it will definitely take a year to paint!

We spray ours with Cuprinol. Quick and easy I paint inside with cheap white emulsion.

I did look at Cuprinol as well - just wasn't sure if it would be industrial enough? how long do you expect yours to last for?

taraj

Visit site
Stable coat by protek is the best for the stables, it comes in different colours, doesn't flake and is weatherproof. We painted our new stables with this as they were a very poor build/wood quality (another story as they were supplied and erected by a BIG company!) Its great, we have since recommended it to friends with older stables and they cant believe how good they look! For the fence it has to be good old creosote mixed with oil as it deters the chewers! .

U569uk

Visit site
Stable coat by protek is the best for the stables, it comes in different colours, doesn't flake and is weatherproof. We painted our new stables with this as they were a very poor build/wood quality (another story as they were supplied and erected by a BIG company!) Its great, we have since recommended it to friends with older stables and they cant believe how good they look! For the fence it has to be good old creosote mixed with oil as it deters the chewers! .

Keep in mind, mixing oil with your creosote could land you a fine from the Environment Agency if they trace a soil test to you...not heard of it happening mind you. Motor Oil is the UKs biggest polutant.