painting saddles?

rapadoodles

Visit site
i have always loved cwd saddles for a number of reasons, but due to being very extremely poor i can't afford them. in particular, i love the coloured details on their saddles, and i was wondering if i could add some onto my own non cwd saddle. i could try and get a saddler to put in some coloured pieces, or maybe just paint them???? i know there's coloured leather paint but, because there not designed for the wear and tear of riding, id be suspicious that it might peel off or crack, or even be toxic for my horse? opinions?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you are talking about dying the detailing like trim where you don't contact the saddle when in use, then I would expect shoe colour to work really well. I've done handbags and shoes with it in the past and it wore well even where the shoe creased or the handbag was repeatedly opened and closed. The key will be in the preparation.

Last edited:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Look up Fiebings leather products, they make leather dye. You will need to strip the leather of all greases before dying, and then make sure all those fats are returned to the leather. It's not a straightforwards job, but for a saddler to "insert" leather into a saddle means taking the saddle apart and rebuilding it to a greater or lesser extent and won't be cheap.