Painting stables - which paint?

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I am going to be painting a block of stables soon. They are made from breezeblocks and will be only painting the insides of the stables.

Does anyone know if it is safe to use limewash for horses and if it works well on breezeblocks.

What else can I use - masonary/emuslion..

Which are safest, easiest and cheapest.

Thank you :)

SuperH

Visit site
My masonry stables (internal walls) I just mixed together all our tins of old emulsion from doing the house and used that, meant that they had some interesting colour combinations over the years!

All our stables were originally limewashed but as I got round them I just painted emulsion over the top simply as that is what I had going spare.

fuggly

Visit site
i use cheap white trade emulsion for the top half and black masonary paint for the lower half , if i have to buy "expensieve" emulsion i water it down as it is normally so thick, so it goes further anyway

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Lime wash would be safe but would struggle to cover with colour without a million coats, normally used on stone with flat face not the textured surface of breezeblocks, so I would go with emulsion, preferably a natural one like Auro not a chemical bog standard one.

NB Limewash does have one big advantage, it is a natural antibacterial substance hence the reason for it being used in lambing byres etc for a zilliion years. But the thick Auro natural paint will cover a lot better.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I use white emulsion & then use black masonary paint on the lower half. I tried using cheap emulsion one year & it was terrible, it just didn't cover. I think with paint you get what you pay for. If you pay cheap you get rubbish, it doesn't cover even after a couple of coats it just wastes your valuable time.

Bobbly

Visit site
If you use trade paint it has a thicker consistency and be watered down without losing cover. Masonry paint I have found best put on with a masonry brush.