Palatable low cal feeds?

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey Guys

Inspired by Oberon's post in whatever New Lounge is called now, I am looking for a little feeding advice.

My good doer connie is only in light work/hacking at the moment as University commitments are limiting my time to ride. Ideally, he wouldn't be getting feeds at all as the grass should be more than enough to get him by.

I need to feed him a supplement, unfortunately, so he does need to get something. At the moment he gets around half a scoop of applechaff with the supplement twice a day, which he gobbles down quite happily.

I used to feed him topspec topchop lite, which supposedly has mint through it to make it more palatable. He stopped eating this though, which made the supplement pointless!

I know that applechaff is high sugar, so would prefer to move him onto something else for the summer months at least. Does anyone have any ideas for a basic bulk feed that he might be interested in, that's low cal?

MissSBird

Visit site
Fast Fibre.

This is the only feed that I would recommend in your situation. :)

I think some people on the yard use it so could maybe borrow it to try. I'm not convinced though - he has a history of not being keen on wet feeds.

TwoStroke

Visit site
I'd also suggest fast fibre, but if he won't eat it then something like hi fi molasses free.

Be aware though that after the very sugary apple chaff it may take some time for him to accept a more healthy feed (think giving kids veggies instead of sweets ;)).

SCMSL

Visit site
My very picky eater (who doesn't like anything, really) LOVES Forage n' Fiber. Its actually the first thing she enjoys eating and finishes up - and I've tried over 10 feeds with her in this last year.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my horse is very picky but she loves baileys light chaff, its very minty and has no molasses....i feed this combined with fast fibre as mine doesnt like very wet feeds either..

noblesteed

Visit site
My picky boy (connie x) loves Mollichaff Calmer. It's got a herbs and pellets in so it tastes nice - certainly smells good, but is very lightly molassed, it really is lovely stuff. He has been on this all winter and hasn't put on weight with a scoop a day so it's defo low calorie. It's got the lami stamp on the bag. Not too different from the texture of applechaff so you might find your horse will eat it ok. I was mixing it with fast fibre as a weight-loss diet but he's not having the fast fibre added now.
I have problems feeding him as he won't eat anything with garlic or alfalfa in and he finds fast fibre on it's own too sloppy and boring! He can be sharp to ride too so I have to watch it with the molasses.