Pambero Bombachas query! (Riding trousers) Please advise if you can

palo1

Visit site
I am not massively hopeful that anyone can help me but I want to buy a new pair of Pampero brand bombachas de campo (cotton riding trousers from Argentina). Previously I have bought the womens bombachas but they are lower cut on the waist and for me, whilst fine on the hips, not especially comfy on the waist. I have asked the Argentine company that I use but though absolutely lovely and hugely helpful they don't quite get my query about the mens cut bombachas which are higher waisted and might suit me better but I am not sure about the hip/waist ratio nor the length of body which is a bit short for me in the womens cut. I just wondered if anyone on HHO has ever bought these and if so, could they advise about cut of the mens bombachas? :) They are lovely, comfy cotton riding trousers and cool for just hanging out too. Nothing like them available anywhere else really but I don't want to have to do an exchange to Argentina atm (or anytime particularly!) Hoping without much hope that one of you might have the knowledge I need :) :) If not I will update anyway as I think more folk should enjoy these :) :) As a guide here you go:-

https://gauchoclothes.com/bombacha.html

Sadly, I don't look quite so glam as this model but you get the idea :)

1591371678888.png

J&S

Visit site
I have been looking for some cotton riding trousers/breeches too, Harry Hall used to do them but now every thing here is lycra/stretchy etc, even if light weight. I was wondering about polo type breeches, one could always put them through a dye. Any way, hope what you are looking for/at is a success.

palo1

Visit site
The ones I have had before are lovely and fine for general stuff too - just looser than we are generally accostomed to but cotton, hard wearing and here at least, much less obviously 'riding wear' than riding tights/breeches etc. :)

chaps89

Visit site
Have you looked at Spanish or Portuguese options too? Just wondering if they might have anything suitable? (Apologies if you have already thought of that)

palo1

Visit site
That's a good idea chaps89 - hadn't really considered that as I am only familiar with bombachas as an alternative to tights/breeches/jods/jeans!! I will go and investigate...

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think I need someone like this in my life. I'm fed up of jods and would prefer something looser. I've taken to wearing jogging bottoms and just putting my riding boots over the top... which is not a good look but I'm way more comfortable!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I wear Spanish vaquera riding breeches/jodhpurs, and I wear the mens ones. They are basically jodhpurs, made in a heavyweight stretch. Men's pattern trousers are shorter on the rise than women's cut, (the rise is from the base of the spine to just below your bellybutton - your crotch, basically) so I order a size or two larger than I really am.spring-sale-vaquera-country-jacket-chaqueta-campero.-9816-p[ekm]865x1000[ekm].jpg

palo1

Visit site
I love bombachas! I get mine from Arandu, I usually get the women's cut but the mens look good :) I know you've said you don't want to order from Argentina but Arandu are great if you're can't find them over there. They've even sent me polo boots, bridles - they're reliable! https://arandu.com.ar/catalogo/hombre/ropa/bombacha-de-campo-ropa/
https://arandu.com.ar/en/catalogo/men/clothing/baggy-trousers/

That's fantastic thanks Mariposa! I don't mind ordering from Argentina at all - I just don't really want to have to try to do an exchange if the fit isn't right! :) I will have a look at Arandu - it's quite difficult to find suppliers of these things so good to have options. :)

palo1

Visit site
I think I need someone like this in my life. I'm fed up of jods and would prefer something looser. I've taken to wearing jogging bottoms and just putting my riding boots over the top... which is not a good look but I'm way more comfortable!

Bombachas really are lovely PF: and they are not recognisable as jods/breeches if you have to go somewhere else in your riding stuff. Not as cheap as joggers sadly but probably more versatile and hard wearing!! They are usually about the same cost as a 'decent' pair of riding tights but way tougher and MUCH less revealing. :)

palo1

Visit site
I wear Spanish vaquera riding breeches/jodhpurs, and I wear the mens ones. They are basically jodhpurs, made in a heavyweight stretch. Men's pattern trousers are shorter on the rise than women's cut, (the rise is from the base of the spine to just below your bellybutton - your crotch, basically) so I order a size or two larger than I really am.View attachment 49127

Very smart - do these two dudes come free with every pair? Lol. Don't they ride up when you are doing fast work @Cortez ? I will have a look out for these too though my neighbours would definately wonder who I was trying to impress if I ride out looking quite that snazzy. :) :)

palo1

Visit site
I love bombachas! I get mine from Arandu, I usually get the women's cut but the mens look good :) I know you've said you don't want to order from Argentina but Arandu are great if you're can't find them over there. They've even sent me polo boots, bridles - they're reliable! https://arandu.com.ar/catalogo/hombre/ropa/bombacha-de-campo-ropa/

For anyone looking for jods/breeches/riding tights alternatives this website has a great choice :) Fab window shopping and NOT expensive. :) Thank you Mariposa.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Very smart - do these two dudes come free with every pair? Lol. Don't they ride up when you are doing fast work @Cortez ? I will have a look out for these too though my neighbours would definately wonder who I was trying to impress if I ride out looking quite that snazzy. :):)
Not that I go very fast these days, but no. And the hombres are definitely not included....

RoyalSecret

New User
Visit site
@Mariposa

Thank you so much for the tip - are they true to size? a 36, a size UK 8; a 38 a 10?
Sorry to be a pain but how much in customs and handling fees did you have to pay? Getting very confused by this recently and can't understand the govt. website or the £135 consignment rule. (I was recently charged 34% extra for something that cost under £135 because of postage charges).

palo1

Visit site
@Mariposa

Thank you so much for the tip - are they true to size? a 36, a size UK 8; a 38 a 10?
Sorry to be a pain but how much in customs and handling fees did you have to pay? Getting very confused by this recently and can't understand the govt. website or the £135 consignment rule. (I was recently charged 34% extra for something that cost under £135 because of postage charges).

@RoyalSecret - I didn't pay any handling or customs fees when purchasing from Arandu and they are super helpful if you email them. @Mariposa's advice was to buy a size bigger than usual and I got brilliant sizing advice from the shop when I got in touch with them so it may be good to check. My bombachas from Arandu are really lovely - lightweight cotton poplin which is fab for summer stuff and definately nice enough for going to the pub in!! Gaucho clothes are equally helpful if ordering Pampero Bombachas - I have a men's pair which are siightly lower cut (on the hips) at my usual size though they are a bit snug and a larger pair in the ladies style which are much higher cut but I like them a bit less. I haven't paid any customs or handling fees for them either and they are also really helpful if you email though they took longer to get to me last year than my pair from Arandu. Hope that helps.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I wear Spanish vaquera riding breeches/jodhpurs, and I wear the mens ones. They are basically jodhpurs, made in a heavyweight stretch. Men's pattern trousers are shorter on the rise than women's cut, (the rise is from the base of the spine to just below your bellybutton - your crotch, basically) so I order a size or two larger than I really am.View attachment 49127

When I was looking for info about Chilean spurs a couple of years ago, I found the website of Catron, a big retailer of all things Huaso. Look at the section "Pantalones, Camisas Y Pañuelos"