Panacur Guard....when did they change it?

hayinamanger

Visit site
It's probably about 10 years since I used Panacur Guard, it used to be flavoured with apple and (I think) cinnamon, and it came with a measuring cup. Just opened my Hyperdrug parcel and there's no flavouring and no measure or marks on the bottle. Wish I hadn't bought so much of the stuff. :(

suestowford

Visit site
I had some of that last winter and it said it was flavoured with apple and cinnamon (my pony didn't think it was and refused to touch the food with it in).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Did you buy the big bottle, the litre one of 10% as if so, mine came with a syringe but I don't think bottles have ever been marked with the measures, you just used to get a measuring cup.

This, the measuring cup is similar to that found on nightnurse cold medicine. I had some for a new horse quite recently and nothing had changed.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Hyperdrug tell me that they have had several calls this week about this, so it is a very recent change. They have contacted the drug company and have been told that the wormer is no longer flavoured and they confirm that they do not include a measuring cup in the packaging.

Off to find the black treacle.

Silverfire

Visit site
Its a recent change, i bought one of the new sized ones 2 weeks ago and it was apple flavoured. They still make it apple flavoured but not many places stock it, i bought some from petsense direct a few months ago and they had to order it in. The horse i bought the apple one for wouldn't eat it anyway, it actually smells horrible!

finngle

Visit site
I know this isn't exactly a reply to OP but it may be of interest to you.. This year my nutrition lecturer conducted some research for a worming company and tested panacur 5 day guard his results suggested that there was a large resistance to the drug in panacur Fenbendizole he found egg count decreased over the 5 days but increased again as soon as the course was stopped.
It is for this reason that I stopped using it, as I too had been told it was brilliant.. The paper has not been published as obviously it basically says Panacur doesn't work and I don't mean to sway anyones opinion - just to pass on some knowledge that may be useful if you do find a high worm burden even after a panacur dose.
Happy to pass on info about wormers etc in more detail if needed :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
there is widespread resistance to equine guard-but its also dependent on where in the country you are. its not a drug I use in my worming program but people can always use FEC reduction test if they are worried about resistance.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hyperdrug tell me that they have had several calls this week about this, so it is a very recent change. They have contacted the drug company and have been told that the wormer is no longer flavoured and they confirm that they do not include a measuring cup in the packaging.

So they put it into a blank bottle and don't even bother to include a measuring cup?! Are they in trouble financially and trying to seriously cut costs?! That's ridiculous. I do worm counts and only worm in the autumn (and if required).

LynH

Visit site
I bought some from VioVet in the last month and two packets came with a measuring cup but one didn't. All three were apple and cinnamon flavour. Maybe they still have some of the flavoured stuff in stock.

finngle

Visit site
Yes indeed FEC can ease any worries about worming but I was even naive to that before studying nutrition at uni. The view of the yard was "if your horse needs worming 5 day panacur it"

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Yes indeed FEC can ease any worries about worming but I was even naive to that before studying nutrition at uni. The view of the yard was "if your horse needs worming 5 day panacur it"

the information re panacur guard has been around for a while (as in years) and I'm of the mind its up the the horse owner to take some responsibility for knowing whats what in a prophylactic treatment. That said, alot of vets are handing out dodgy info and not even all the info being handed out by bespoke worming program companies is as up to date as the research. worming is basic management, people should know about FECs etc its not something that should only cone to light while studying at uni-and this is not a criticism of you but of how the information is delivered to the horse owning public.

3bh

Visit site
I have just bought the same from hyperdrug, and there was a choice of flavours including the one you mention and a plain/original one. I can't remember it coming with a measure though, have always just used a spare clean syringe!

Grinchmass

Visit site
It was next to useless on a mare at our yard when we used it last, which was a couple of years ago.

Have since been using different wormers. Pramox did the trick and reduced worm counts etc for us.

kaiserchief

Visit site
My yard wormed with Panacur Guard last week and none of us received measures with our bottles. Very disappointing but Countrywide did a booming trade as everyone went in to buy a 20p syringe from them.