Paper / Cardboard bedding

Polos Mum

Visit site
My horse was on it at the vets - small squares of cardboard (about 2cm square) they said they used it because of hygiene - it wasn't very absorbent and they just threw most of it away each day - so it was easy because you just took a shovel to the whole thing! Not very economic I'd imagine !

Horsekaren

Visit site
Paper is good and cheap but it does move around a lot and once its wet it does smell.
Not sure where you are but look for egg box bedding, ive tried this recently and it is brilliant, cheap if you can source it locally, very absorbent, dust free, heavy and doesn't move, droppings sit on top and wet sinks to the bottom, i remove the wet once a week.

flying_high

Visit site
Friend of mine is a stockist for cardboard bedding, she's in East Kent. Think cardboard is quite expensive, but very dust free.

Annagain

Visit site
I used to use cross-cut shredded office paper which was both free and effective. Unfortunately my current yard does allow it :(

I used this too - it's pretty good mixed with shavings as otherwise it flattens a bit too much. It also turned to papier mache on its own with my very wet horse. Work have stopped shredding onsite now though and send all the confidential waste away to be dealt with so I can't get it any more.

paddi22

Visit site
I used paper whn I had a foal here before. i didn't particularly rate it, found it very soggy and heavy to lift out. changed back as soon as I could