Papers?

Schooling

• Total voters

Maisy

Visit site
3 of mine have, but I couldnt care less.....

I suppose the only benefit is that you know they should have been bred carefully and with good stock. My jrt (who doesnt have any papers) has something wrong with his hips and a massive overbite!!!!

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
neither our lab or our JRT do, and both are fine.

Quite a few people have commented re the GSD's I have got that papers will make a difference. I appreciate that if you are planning to breed yourself then they are vital, however if you are not planning to breed then surely it is not an issue?

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Our Springer is not KC registered, as such he was very cheap. It didn't really matter to us, because he is primarily a pet, and possibly going to be a working dog, but we are not planning to do any field trails or anything else that will require KC registration.

So it would depend entirely on what I was looking at having a dog for!

ETS - I would be interested in how our springer was bred though, the breeder does have his pedigree and is supposed to be sending it to me.
Papers can give some assurance that you are buying quality and not something with all sorts of problems, but plenty of bad dogs have papers!

_Acolyte_

Visit site
I would have always said yes (as the daughter of a dog breeder
crazy.gif
) until I got my rescue greyhounds - now I couldnt care less if a dog has papers or not, my rescues have all been gorgeous, with fabulous tempraments, and have not been bothered by their lack of KC registration at all
grin.gif

Having said that, if I were buying a puppy of an established breed (e.g. whippet or similar) then I would expect it to be KC registered with a good pedigree - suspect that is a left over from the showing influence
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I am the same as you Acolyte, I would never had considered an un-papered pedigree dog until we got Otto! I did go to see him with some cynicism, expecting a poor quality dog, insted I think (as does everyone!) that we have found a cracking wee dog that is going to be an outstanding little working, at a bargain price!

I still would expect papers when buying another dog though, just because we got lucky with Otto!

Booboos

Visit site
Only for breeds that have genetic problems like hip dysplasia but then I am only really interested in whether the breeder has bred responsibly to avoid these problems (as well as breeding for temperament) rather than the papers themselves. Two of mine have papers (the GSD and the German Spitz) and two do not (the other German Spitz and the JRT cross).

MurphysMinder

Visit site
My Gsds all have papers, as I used to show and like to know the lines. I have had JRTs without papers. As others have said pedigrees etc are a help in knowing if the parents have had necessary health checks etc, particularly relevant in some breeds. I think more and more people are becoming aware of the questions they should ask when buying puppies, and certain things can only be proven by producing a pedigree, and KC registration.

CAYLA

Visit site
I have papers for all my pedigree's, and believe it or not they are all rescues, papers where handed in with them, suppose the last oeners thought we would make some money and breed from them
crazy.gif
not the case, as all are neutered, and papers in a pile or chucked
grin.gif

I will never buy a dog or breed from a dog, so would need or use papers.

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Papers don't matter in some respects - as in I love all dogs - would definately consider a rescue as much as a full pedigree...

But where I think papers matter are when buying a puppy - I don't really understand why you would go out and buy a crossbreed where you have no real idea about health checks (eg HD or eye problems). I want to buy the healthiest puppy I can, from good breeders who breed for temprament as well as conformation. So if I was buying a puppy I would want to do lots of research and find the best possible puppy I could. So it's actually more than just having KC registration - I need more than that.

If I want a crossbreed, I'll go to a rescue and get one there and there will be lots of lovely crossbreeds that deserve a home. And I won't be giving any cash to anyone who breeds irresponsibly.

But that is just me
grin.gif