Paralympic dressage.. spurs?

ex racer rider

Visit site
Don’t shoot me down, I have the up most respect for all of the Paralympic (and Olympic) athletes so this is in no way shape of form an anti-disability post.

After watching some of Sophie Christiansen’s dressage test (it was just recapped on channel 4) I noticed she was wearing spurs. Surely she shouldn’t be? It is drummed into us 'spurs are ONLY for secure lower legs' yet she obviously suffers from a disability that affects her muscle control (I don’t really know her story) I noticed her legs were convulsing and she had spurs on ultimately jabbing the horse... tbh it didn’t look like it was bothered so she obviously wasn’t causing pain (the Olympic horses showed more distress, kittle springs to mind)

But I just thought hmmm, should she really be wearing spurs?

(I really hope this hasn’t come across as mean or nasty, I honestly don’t mean it that way if it does appear that way)

winkles

Visit site
I wondered this too and think you worded it well :)

I think it was Natasha Baker who won us gold in the individual Grade II and she too wore spurs, despite the commentators saying she relied on voice commands (allowed for her grade's class) and the whip for control and didn't use her legs for aids.

It did make me a little :confused:, was wondering if anyone noticed or if it was just me :p

ex racer rider

Visit site
I wondered this too and think you worded it well :) im glad, i didnt want to sound horrible

I think it was Natasha Baker who won us gold in the individual Grade II and she too wore spurs, despite the commentators saying she relied on voice commands (allowed for her grade's class) and the whip for control and didn't use her legs for aids.

It did make me a little :confused:, wonder what other's thoughts will be.

i cant imagine they are just for appearence then? as you say, natasha wore them yet doesnt use them :confused:

J&S

Visit site
Please see the thread in the Olympics section, the use of spurs has been explained and discussed there. I'm sorry I don't know how to highlight it for you for easy viewing! Hope you will appreciate then some of the problems for our Para riders and other RDA dressage competitors.

ex racer rider

Visit site
Please see the thread in the Olympics section, the use of spurs has been explained and discussed there. I'm sorry I don't know how to highlight it for you for easy viewing! Hope you will appreciate then some of the problems for our Para riders and other RDA dressage competitors.

*off to do some reading*

ex racer rider

Visit site
coppied from the olympic thread
Under the compensating aids (which they're only allowed x number of) it says 'Spurs are optional for FEI PE competitions if there is no official objection from the TD, Chief Steward, Chief Classifier or member of the Ground Jury. Spurs must not be offset, unless this is allowed as a compensating aid. Metal spurs with round hard plastic knobs are allowed (Impuls spurs) as are Dummy spurs with no shank. Competitors who cannot control their leg movements should have this noted on their FEI PE ID card'

Ie they need them to make their aids more noticeable as don't have the strength to just use their side of leg.

And under FEI rules it says:

'SPURS are optional for Para Equestrian Competitions. See (Art 8427- 1.8)
In all Competitions, spurs may only be used by Athletes able to control their leg movements. In those Competitions for able-bodied Athletes where spurs are compulsory, Athletes who cannot control their leg movements should have this noted on their FEI PEID Card. Apply to Para Equestrian ID card officer for any necessary alteration'

hmmm, now i may be reading this wrong but to me that says that if they have uncontrolled legs they can use spurs.... :confused: surely they should not? wouldnt schooling whips be a better option? and vice versa so uncontrolled hands = no whip and allowed spurs

lizijj

Visit site
I think N Baker has some use of her legs as she could stand with sticks for the medal ceremony. I think the impact of the spurs she was using would be minimal as she has so little strength in her legs, but certainly would be legal and more beneficial than just voice or Schooling whip alone.

ex racer rider

Visit site
I think N Baker has some use of her legs as she could stand with sticks for the medal ceremony. I think the impact of the spurs she was using would be minimal as she has so little strength in her legs, but certainly would be legal and more beneficial than just voice or Schooling whip alone.

i see where your coming from ie lack of strength however during a muscle convulsion she could possibly give a bloody sharp nudge? i may be wrong but i just would have thought riders who dont have use of their lower legs maybe shouldnt ride with spurs

winkles

Visit site

Thanks, didn't see the ceremony and this makes more sense to me now. Think the commentator must have got their facts wrong as they said NB used voice & whip only and implied she had no use of her legs. Spurs or no spurs, it was a lovely test!

lizijj

Visit site
Does she suffer from convulsions? I don't know, but either way, that was a bloody good horse, and I'm sure there is lots of able riders who by accident give our horses a jab in the mouth, big kick or unnecessary smack without the horse being so forgiving. Her horse looked happy and relaxed so I guess she is doing more than a good job.

ex racer rider

Visit site
Does she suffer from convulsions?by convulsions i ment the muscle jerks (not sure on correct terms, sorry) I don't know, but either way, that was a bloody good horse, and I'm sure there is lots of able riders who by accident give our horses a jab in the mouth, big kick or unnecessary smack without the horse being so forgiving. Her horse looked happy and relaxed so I guess she is doing more than a good job.
But yes a bloody good horse and a good rider. as i said in the original post a lot more horses showed more distress in the olypmpics what with rolkur etc and im sure we are all guilty of a jab or kick be it purposefull of not. however we have total (most people) controll over our bodies so therefore it is just ourselves we should blame yet the riders who do not have controll over certain parts cannot be blamed so therefore any jabs they give the horse without neaning to should have the smallest impact ie no spurs?

J&S

Visit site
I think it would depend on which sort of "uncontrolled" one is discussing. There is, if my log book serves me well, HYPERTONIA = increased tone in a muscle or group of muscles OR HYPOTONIA = DEcreased tone in a muscle or group of muscles.

A rider who has Hypotonia would have very little weight in their legs because of lack of muscle so any movement of the spurs against the horse would have little effect but perhaps enough to make a difference once accustomed to that particular rider's aids. Do I make sense here?

With increased muscle tone (Hypertonia) spurs would possibly be appropriate if this increase of muscle tone kept the rider's legs from touching the sides of the horse, as can happen.

Some riders would not be able to use a whip.

For those of you who are curious about this and would like more indepth information, please do visit your local RDA centre and see for yourselves just how amazingly the riders and horses adapt to each other, taking into consideration each rider's personal disability. I can guarantee that once you have helped with a group for a short time you will want to make it a permanant part of your life. Please note that none of the riders in our particular group wear spurs either for normal weekly sessions or for competition.