Parelli - have I been mean?

R2R

Visit site
I have just told a kid (rising 16) on my yard if they think they are doing parelli they have other things coming. Child loans a horse from me and declared today they are never using leg or whip again and they are now 100% devoted to the parelli cult.

I do not want said horse messed around like this, so put a stop to it before it started.

Is that mean? I am all for groundwork and common sense but there is no way already nervous child is devoting themselves to a life of playing football with my pony in the field and riding in dental floss bridles.

Do you think I am out of order?

amandaco2

Visit site
its your horse, its up to you what happens to it
imho i would have done exactly the same, but maybe explained why i dont want those techniques used. and put it into my contract with them.

perfect11s

Visit site
I have just told a kid (rising 16) on my yard if they think they are doing parelli they have other things coming. Child loans a horse from me and declared today they are never using leg or whip again and they are now 100% devoted to the parelli cult.

I do not want said horse messed around like this, so put a stop to it before it started.

Is that mean? I am all for groundwork and common sense but there is no way already nervous child is devoting themselves to a life of playing football with my pony in the field and riding in dental floss bridles.

Do you think I am out of order?
No!!! I notice the buggers (pareli) are infesting the festival of the horse thing at stoneleigh............

LauraWheeler

Visit site
As others have said it's your horse.
Parelli in the wrong hands can mess a horse up. I know this as my new pony Herbie has been left dangourous by Parelli and i bought him very cheap as no one else would have him. Now i am trying to fix the damage done. So i don't think it's mean at all. I would never let anyone do that to my horses and i will never sell to a parelli home now because of how Herbie is.

Tickles

Visit site
Your horse is your horse. As a sharer I don't ride exactly as I would if the same horse was mine. The owner's views matter (not contractually in our case but if I'd been asked to sign something saying they did I would have), as does consistency for the horse.

If my owner wanted me to do/not do something I thought was wrong/right (never been the case) I'd say so. But ultimately, within the confines of the law, (as in no one ever has an excuse for abusing a horse), what she says goes.

Having said all that I think whips are /way/ over used by young (and new in general) riders as a quick fix instead of learning to communicate effectively. I was certainly taught that way by some very well respected yards. I'm a relatively 'thinking' adult and it took me a while to realise and change to only riding at places with better attitudes. So, that part you should probably encourage. :)

Last edited:

Scaty_Bird

Visit site
I am still open minded about parelli *hides* BUT do agree with you. It is your horse and if you are not happy with her doing this then I don't see how you are being mean. Can you suggest some other groundwork for her to do??
: o )

dwi

Visit site
No, I think you're probably right on this one. Its your horse and there's no need to look at alternative approaches if your horse doesn't have problems in the first place.

That said, I've had Lil two months now and still can't get near her ears without alot of stress and flapping so I'm starting to look at alternative approaches and that might well include parelli to some extent.

HumBugsey

Visit site
Your sharer can renounce the whip without going the parelli route. If they're that upset just say that and you'd rather not have a headshy confused horse. :p

geronimostilton

Visit site
I'm with you too.
My horse was out on loan and the (somewhat novicey) loaner decided to 'do Parelli' with him. I thought it was pretty harmless at the time, but I ended up with a horse I couldn't walk up to or around without him shuffling around and shifting backwards, sideways etc. He had been an absolute angel on the ground before and you could do anything with him, but he became very wary of my movements and it took over a year for him to relax back to anything approaching his old self.

I would be just like you if anyone wanted to use Parelli on a horse of mine again, absolutely no chance!

Pilib

Visit site
I would have said I was quite open minded about it until I saw 'that' video of Linda Parelli and the one eyed horse. I would now never, EVER entertain Parelli as I was so disgusted by her behaviour and 'training' method.

Any one who is easily influenced or a novice can watch that video and copy what she was doing...........it doesn't bear thinking about. So yes you 100% did the right thing.

MrReally

Visit site
I would have said the same thing as you. Its your horse so its your choice :)

I have to say that when I see horse for sale adverts if there is any mention of the parelli word I run for the hills :)

TicTac

Visit site
If it is your horse then you do have the right to stipulate it's management especially if it is on loan and kept on your yard BUT it seriously pisses me off that so many people are bigoted towards The Parelli method ( but Parelli is not the only mathod of NH ) when to be honest half of you have never even tried it or thought about why you do it ( and by that I mean had PROPER instruction ) or can't see beyond your own two eyes at some of the so called ' traditional' methods of training that can cause just as much stress, damage or trauma to horses if they are in the wrong hands.

I could go on but quite frankly there are two types who get involved in this kind of discussion on here, and it's either the ' no way it's a load of b....cks' type or the ' Yes I'm all for it'

Good job we're not all the same isn't it!

NotAnotherChestnut

Visit site
Post 20 and no P-lovers yet...!

I'm certainly not one either - I think you are doing the right thing by your horse, consistency is the key and with the right attitude and common sense, your loaner can still enjoy groundwork - if that's what they wish to do - without waving carrot sticks at it.

Booboos

Visit site
It's your horse so it's entirely up to you what gets done with him.

It might be worth though having a chat with the lad to find out what he hoped to achieve with Parelli. I'm not a fan of the training techinique at all but maybe you can show him other ways of achieving the same goals (nothing wrong with a horse that's sensitive off the leg without a whip - wish mine were like that!!).

LOU83

Visit site
I agree

The people i see doing Parelli are the people to scared to ride the thing so wave sticks at it instead.

Some said horse people are very strange

R2R

Visit site
Wow, 6 replies without 'P' bugs swarming. :D

If it is your horse then you do have the right to stipulate it's management especially if it is on loan and kept on your yard BUT it seriously pisses me off that so many people are bigoted towards The Parelli method ( but Parelli is not the only mathod of NH ) when to be honest half of you have never even tried it or thought about why you do it ( and by that I mean had PROPER instruction ) or can't see beyond your own two eyes at some of the so called ' traditional' methods of training that can cause just as much stress, damage or trauma to horses if they are in the wrong hands.

I could go on but quite frankly there are two types who get involved in this kind of discussion on here, and it's either the ' no way it's a load of b....cks' type or the ' Yes I'm all for it'

Good job we're not all the same isn't it!

I have had horses all of my 27 years, and throughout that time have learnt you have to be open to new things.

The reason I can’t stand Parelli is, as my short life-time has taught me, with horses there is no substitute for consistency and common sense.

All too often, people get obsessed with the Parelli way, and see no other way forward. I see it as something that unconfident [around horses] people do resulting in more problems than its worth.

Out of interest, Tictac, what do you do with your horses?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
yes lol indeed as you have just proved my point!

I was kind of pointing out that your post was based on a lot of presumptions about the sort of people who dislike Parelli, in terms of a deficit model.
Lack of knowledge of Parelli may in fact equate to approval rather than disapproval.
S :D

TicTac

Visit site
Quote:- The reason I can’t stand Parelli is, as my short life-time has taught me, with horses there is no substitute for consistency and common sense.

All too often, people get obsessed with the Parelli way, and see no other way forward. I see it as something that unconfident [around horses] people do resulting in more problems than its worth.

Out of interest, Tictac, what do you do with your horses? :- End Quote

I totally agree with you about consistency and common sense and the fact that Parelli people can think that it's the be all and end all of horse training. BUT the point I'm trying to make is that some people base their views on un educated reasons and have probably never had an informed and skilled person show them the basics of ' Parelli', what the aim is, and what you can hope to achieve if you are taught and in turn, teach your horse correctly.

I have taught my mare to play the 7 games. She loves it and I have also had instruction in 'The Parelli' method, but but but I also ride her out hacking, do sponsored rides, dressage and local shows all wearing TACK!

It doesn't interest me to ride my horse bareback accross the rolling country side with the wind in my hair, beads around my neck and bells on my toes but it doesn't stop me admiring people who do that or who have that kind of relationship with their horse.

A lot of training methods come with a price tag or gadget and most will tell you that theirs is the only sure fire way of making your horse go better. I just think it's so unfair that Parelli in particular seems to evoke such abuse from some people, when I've seen polo ponies treated and trained with harsh and abusive methods.

R2R

Visit site
I used to school my old boy in a neckstrap. He was a 6 year old Rhinelander, but had been broken properly. SOMEWHERE there is a video of us doing leg yield and him working in an outline with no tack.

I had a really special bond with him (he is now dead :( ) but it was not through Parelli, it was through time, patience etc.

I am sure there are countless people on this forum with special relationships with their neds which are not achieved through use of a carrot stick nor a football.