Parelli, Monty Roberts and Clicker training

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Point of information... 'Intelligent Horsemanship' is Monty Roberts / Kelly Marks, not Parelli which is 'Parelli Natural Horsemanship' (PNH). They are quite different beasts, one considerably harsher than the other.

Thank you for the correction and my apologies if my error confused anyone. However I do not rate Monty Roberts much higher than Pat Parelli to be honest.

Back in the day I used to follow Monty's tv programmes and his tear filled eyes telling tales of childhood woes and self proclaimed triumph over evil became quite nauseating and more unbelievable with the repeated telling and embellishment. If you read 'Horse Whispers and Lies' by Joyce Renebome (his aunt who was only a few years older than him and raised alongside him) it really does paint a very different picture, disappointing for the avid believers but quite telling for the sceptics among us I think.

Not that one should believe everything one reads of course, but not that one should believe everything someone who is flogging you a very expensive training DVD, book - whip wop or whatever tells you.

Kelly Marks I cannot pass any remarks as I have never read, seen or had personal knowledge of her methods.

Good old fashioned horsemanship taught, (freely without charge) questioned and practised alongside acceptance of changing knowledge and improving skills and taking a little bit of information from everywhere along the way is my mantra. Who kids themselves they have all the answers and have learned it all? Sadly a lot of these guys do, and earn a small fortune selling their 'unique' recipe for equestrian success.

windand rain

Visit site
Never PNH
was charmed by the Monty Roberts ideas to start with but soon realsed it was more than I thought
never done clicker mostly because I have never really needed to reward with food a quick rub or pat does the same
A big fan of Richard Maxwell not had much to do with Rachid but have heard good things about him
Learned most of my horsemanship from a mix of other books media and experience. Old horsemen and common sense seem to be the best sources. Guess being openmined helps a lot as the ponies can tell you a lot about common sense horsemanship and how to read them

fburton

Visit site
Good old fashioned horsemanship taught, (freely without charge) questioned and practised alongside acceptance of changing knowledge and improving skills and taking a little bit of information from everywhere along the way is my mantra. Who kids themselves they have all the answers and have learned it all? Sadly a lot of these guys do, and earn a small fortune selling their 'unique' recipe for equestrian success.
Wholeheartedly agree.