Parelli - what do you think

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Oh go on JM - you know you want to
grin.gif

GTs

Visit site
The true horseman are great - they are very skilled. But the majority of people who are practice and preach it are so far removed from these horsemans skills they do not stand a chance.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Bl**dy Hell GTs I agree again! Although I do have severe reservations about those damn games - what on earth is that all about?

Also think that the parephanalia that they insist on using is way way overpriced and just another way to get more money out of the poor suckers.

Although M_G and I have a superb plan to set up our own money making scheme - can't tell you what it is cos if I did I would have to kill you
wink.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
ell, without the expletives...i'll try.....

it's..... a...... load.....of...over-rated......tosh....that....is....based....on....common-sense....and....costs...a...lot...of....money...mainly...for....gulible...idiots...who..."think"!...that....this...is THE...correct...and...ONLY....way.................

$$$$XXXX%%%%XXXX***&*&*&%%%

better now.................................

[/ QUOTE ]

Much - thanks
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
well i hope it's not those bloody bead things that everyone seems SO keen on giving me as my "secret santa"!!!???

[/ QUOTE ]

B00064742W.01-A22UN21UL9VI60._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

People must know you very well to be so upfront.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Mixed views.. leaning towards the negative
tongue.gif

In regards to the ridden side.. I *hate* seeing horses trailing about on their forehands with their hind legs in another country and everything disconnected while onlookers cheer about how natural and kind it is. Absolute rubbish

In regards to the other side ("games", joining up etc), I tend to think most of it is, as someone else said, over hyped and common sense re-labelled and sold.

A little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing
frown.gif

KateStartin

Visit site
Mixed views.Have messed around with it and i think the basic groundwork is great for manners etc but this is also just common sense. BUT how many of us honestly posses enough common sense to move our horses around like this without prompting.

I think some of the stuff the top guys do is amazing and if it starts to make people think about and question their training methods then this can only be a good thing. However i think some of those that practise this method need to question what they are doing as well.

It seems totally geared up to train western horses and quarter horses not our english competition horses, ie does engourage them to trail along on their forehand.

Hate the pat parelli appreciation society and the fact that there seems to be an opinion among those that train their horses in this way that this is the correct way and everyone else is in some way harming their horse. THERE IS NO CORRECT WAY TO TRAIN HORSES!!!

sorona

Visit site
Somebody asked me if i knew somebody who taught Parelli and I knew of a woman who had jsut spendt a few months in the states learning it and had done for along ime before that and was apparently very hightly qualified. Well i got in touch with her to ask if she would be holding any clinics or doing any private lessons and she said that parelli can not be taught so she wont be doing lessons!!!!! What had she been doing for the past years then and what was she qualified in if it cant be taught, i am confused.
I think there is a place for it but it really annoys me if they have the attitude that it is the only way and think that everything you do is wrong as it isnt he way they do it.
Went to a clinic and wasnt convinced and followed some of the case studies up and they are still unrideable and still wont load!!

Tia

Visit site
I've been to a number of Parelli ranches - absolutely fantastic horses there! All working stock QH's that you can work ANY herd of cattle with - they are fearless these horses and absolutely perfectly trained. They would make a complete mockery of ALL of our forum horses!!

Parelli in my opinion is not for the general ignoramuses who tend to cotton-on to training methods such as these (although some ideas could certainly help some).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Parelli training - there is something seriously wrong with the majority of owners who deem this the right thing to be doing with their substandard horses! Just my opinion of course
crazy.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
The horse I have on loan has done a lot of natural horsemanship... although her in hand manners are impeccable, their way of lunge work has caused a few issues. Basically, I have been trying to encourage her to accept a contact to the lunge, but because this means stop in some natural horsemanship techniques she would stop and turn to you rather than make a contact. Therefore teaching the leg to hand technique through the lunge has taken some time to get right (still working on it to be honest)

I do think that the parelli makes a lot of difference to some horses, as do other techniques. Richard Maxwell is an absolute god in my eyes as he got my neurotic trailerphobic mare load and happy once she was in.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Some of what Month Roberts does, yeah, I can get on with that. Parelli...................WTF??? Common sense re-named with an expensive price tag slapped on the side, utter shite IMO.

Tia

Visit site
Eh? Parelli is not common sense for use with our type of horses! At least not in the way that Monty does it. Parelli, in my opinion, is NOT for Joe Bloggs! Monty is for Joe Bloggs!

Tia

Visit site
Okay.....am I talking about a completely different thing here? Because I can barely find any thing that he does which would be relevant to most horse owners.
confused.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
It looks to me like the Parelli people are aiming all their Parelli rubbish at Joe Bloggs (I'm thinking about the wands, rope halters and books for sale in local tack shops) and on their website those playing card things and a carry case to hold everything in. (Or am I way off the mark here
tongue.gif
)

Tia

Visit site
Pat Parelli is a cowboy. He works cattle, he ranches - he has come up with cock-and-bull-crap for the retail market! Nitwits buy it.....not sure why??
crazy.gif

His real talent is with working cattle horses.....now I didn't know many folks in the UK who horses work cattle....hence why are they trying to train their horses in this sort of fashion? I can only assume they are idiots. He isn't the idiot here - he knows what he does works....with ranch horses.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
His real talent is with working cattle horses.....now I didn't know many folks in the UK who horses work cattle....hence why are they trying to train their horses in this sort of fashion? I can only assume they are idiots. He isn't the idiot here - he knows what he does works....with ranch horses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, here!! I couldn't have said it better!!

_jetset_

Visit site
Do you know something Tia, I never thought of it like that! Yes, Pat Parelli's methods have been developed for cattle horses, and who are the silly buggers... those who spend a fortune trying to teach their horses something that is not relevant.

I am sat here chuckling away to myself, because I have always thought it was devised for another reason, but when pointed out, it sort of became so much clearer.

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Parelli a make of tyres?

[/ QUOTE ]

*sighs* no teapot thats Pirelli - I believe they also make slippers
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that's right
grin.gif

Parelli is all that stuff with carrot sticks.

No seriously, have seen it done (old instructor used it to retrain her ex-racehorse) and then someone else on the yard used elements of with with NH. Not overly convinced I must say

Zebedee

Visit site
The trouble with Parelli & any other technique is people who watch a video or go to see a demo & return home convinced that they can do it just as effectively.
True exponents of the techniques are incredible but the dimwits (great expression by the way - sums them up perfectly) who want to give it a try just give the whole genre a bad name.
As someone has already pointed out we all use some form of 'natural horsemanship' in our day to day dealings with them. As a child I had a pony who was really hard to catch - I used to keep him on the move until he stopped & turned to face me. I thought I was just wearing him down, but in these enlightened times we all of course realise that I was "sending him away from the herd, & his giving in was a request to be allowed back in".(cough!)

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
They would make a complete mockery of ALL of our forum horses!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a sweeping statement there Tia, perhaps they would at cattle cutting, but not so showjumping, eventing etc. Unless you have met ALL of the forum horses don't quite understand how you can make this statement
crazy.gif