Parelli - what do you think

Tia

Visit site
I am not talking about disciplines here - I am talking about level of training. Perhaps if there are some Grand Prix horses on this forum then they would give these horses a run for their money; but as I understand it no forum horses are of this calibre....mine certainly aren't even though they are well trained.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Tia, after watching my friends horse being worked by Dave Stewart (worked with Pat P for many many years)at the weekend (she is there on a 4 week intensive schooling course, I agree whole heartedly! The mare was indeed quiet and relaxed and he was roping jump stands off herback and dragging them round the arena, whilst interesting to watch, I did what relevance it could possibly have to being ridden in a dressage test!

Tangaroo

Visit site
I went to a demonstration once out of interest and it was like a glorified circus!! A friend of mine brought up her youngster using Parrelli and once ridden he wouldnt go forward cos he wanted to follow his leader all the time. Eventually he had to go to someone using traditional methods to be brought on and sold and this woman said the owner had set him back by about nine months using these methods. I think Parrelli is a load of C....P !!

L

lilym

i hate it, it's not for me, i have never seen such robotic switched off horses, and many good ones have been ruined by this bunny boiling crap. carrot sticks??? bandages WTF!!! around my area all the parrelli brigade are tree huggers who are terrified of their horses, just a rip off marketing scam.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Parelli is the one where you get your horse to stand on a box isn't it? Not sure what the point of that is exactly... where in the wild do horses stand on boxes?

I'm sure it works for people who actually know what they're doing but for everyone else who reads one book or goes to one demo a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.

Tia

Visit site
You see this is the trouble - it actually isn't a load of twaddle.......it's the numpties with their average (at best) horses and less than average knowledge which gives it this awful name.

I really do think that an understanding of this training method would go a long way and I have realised this over the years that when people won't discuss it rationally it is because they generally do not know much about it which is why they always resort to bringing out the "carrot stick" comment - that's usually all they know about Parelli, LOL!!

For anyone thinking that I use Parelli - I don't, however yes I have taken bits and pieces from his training ideas over the years but as my horses are not working a 6,000 head of cattle ranch, there really isn't a whole load in it for me......bit of fun yes, but not really a part of my everyday life.

Chambon - a little reply to you but later a more broader response to others.
smile.gif

TURBOBERT

Visit site
I went on a two day course when the Foot and Mouth was on - something to do. I agree there is limited relevance but where is IS good is with a horse that does not respect your space - when you are on the ground. I use a simple form with our youngsters if they are pushy.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree there is limited relevance but where is IS good is with a horse that does not respect your space - when you are on the ground. I use a simple form with our youngsters if they are pushy.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had someone start the games with the 2 year old a while back when she started getting bolshy - and it works to the extent that you have a routine and are teaching her about personal space etc.

For that - yup - it works but I see no reason to need a special knotted headcollar and an overpriced piece of orange plastic.

So its OK in its place, but not as some people use it like a religion - and then call you all sorts and sneer at you because you haven't fallen for the slick marketing and bought all the toys...

M_G

Visit site
Dont think much of Parelli but you can get these wonderful coloured feathers that you can tie to your horses bridle and they improve the way of going no end ........ Want to buy one???? PMSL

M xx

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
MARY WE HAVEN'T GOT THE PATENT YET!!!!!!! Now everyone knows and may steal our fabby money making idea! *sighs* well at least they don't know about the herbal pomanders with special sticks - I mean wands yet